PDA

View Full Version : Paul

slaveofconvention
04-07-2011, 04:01 PM
So I just saw the movie Paul - and I was kinda looking while watching for subtle sci-fi references which I'd read were hidden in the movie.

I did spot a fair few and was wondering if anyone else had seen the movie and noticed any I missed. There are a load of blatently obvious deliberate ones (they're referenced in the movie speficially), but these are the less blatent ones I noticed in no particular order.

In a bar, the band is playing the same tune as played in the Cantina in Star Wars (not sure which episode - not a huge SW geek)

The mountain they find which "you'll know when you see it" was half black, half white which I think might be a reference to the original series star trek episode with the racism theme where half the population with white on one side of the face and black on the other hates the other half who has the opposite colouring.

Towards the very end, when one of the characters is invited along on the spareship, she complains about not having her toothbrush - Paul's reply is "where we're going, you don't need teeth" - Back to the future methinks.

Just before that, Sigourney Weaver gets a punch in the face, prefaced by the comment "Leave her alone you bit**" which is obviously from one of the Alien movies

The fireworks they buy are "The five tones" which along with the packaging is an obvious close encounters reference, as are the lights in the trees when the helicopter arrives but I think they're too obvious to fall into the subtle category.

Dammit, I'm sure there was one more but I don't remember it.

If I remember I'll come back and comment lol - but if anyone else has any.....

slaveofconvention
04-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I guess you COULD claim the whole thing being in an RV is a kinda spaceballs reference if you wanted to start really picking but I think thats coincedence rather than any kind of tip of the hat.... The main characters are on a road-trip after all so the RV makes sense heh

slaveofconvention
04-07-2011, 04:11 PM
I remember now - Paul's hand-rubbing before healing is a total Karate Kid Reference - not sci-fi but a little too close to be a fluke...

msmrx57
04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
But the important question here is - Is the movie any good?

farlo
04-07-2011, 04:23 PM
it was an okay movie, not hilarious, but still funny.

slaveofconvention
04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
It's worth a couple hours of your life - it wont CHANGE your life, but it's definitely worth seeing :)

Airbozo
04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Never heard of this movie...

AmEv
04-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Ditto

crenn
04-08-2011, 12:28 AM
L5ipZwwQPcY

TheGreatSatan
04-08-2011, 08:56 AM
It looks really funny. Right before he resurrects the bird he looks like Yoda

Techno_Savage
04-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I seen it the weekend it came out with the GF and not only did I find it hilarious I will be buying this movie as soon as it comes out.