PDA

View Full Version : Random Shutdowns?

Cale_Hagan
04-12-2011, 04:41 PM
my system has been randomly shutting down, i checked temps, the graphics cards were hot, so i manually cranked up the fans in ati ccc. all other temps are fine, i have a 1kw psu ultra x3 modular series which should be more than enough to power 2 6870s and a stock clock 950. any ideas? i tried reinstalling windows 7 64bit, but no luck. anyone have any helpful suggestions?:mad:

Cale_Hagan
04-12-2011, 04:48 PM
a little more info: i bought a few parts awhile back, and installed all at the same time. i'm dreading having to go pull part by part, but i might have to... i hope its not the nice little evga mobo.... especially because it had a 30 day warranty.... gosh darn recert. items...

nevermind1534
04-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I'd try the memory first.

BuzzKillington
04-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Last time I had random shutdowns it was blown caps. Everything ran normally except videos, they were choppy. Sometimes it'd shut down right when it restarted and other times it'd be an hour or 2 later.

nevermind1534
04-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Last time I had random shutdowns it was blown caps. Everything ran normally except videos, they were choppy. Sometimes it'd shut down right when it restarted and other times it'd be an hour or 2 later.

^This

I was going to mention that in my post, but must have forgot. If it does have bad capacitors, you should be able to replace them if you're able to solder, though.

Cale_Hagan
04-13-2011, 02:02 AM
yeah, ill try switching the memory out, but its hard to track as it does it randomly. it is usually while im using it, it runs all day just fine, and then, boom. video runs fine, if worst comes to worst, ill swap mobos with my old gene ii mobo by asus.

Fuganater
04-13-2011, 02:54 AM
Did you do any daignostics yet? Try that before swapping hardware.

NightrainSrt4
04-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Just run memtest for a while. Easy way to knock one thing out of the list of possibilities.

nevermind1534
04-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Doing a visual check of the capacitors for any signs of bulging or leaking shouldn't be difficult, either.

slaveofconvention
04-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Just run memtest for a while. Easy way to knock one thing out of the list of possibilities.

I've seen faults on the motherboard cause errors in memtest on healthy RAM but I still agree with trying this first - if nothing else it'll give you an indicator of if there is a hardware issue or not...

Cale_Hagan
04-17-2011, 02:51 AM
i swapped out almost everything, my desktop i believe hates me. i think there is some unsung rule about me and computers. it seems i am only allowed to have 1 working computer at any given time. i finally fixed my laptop, then immediately my desktop eats it. i swapped mainboard cpu ram combo at once, no avail. then swapped psu. no help. removed almost every last thing, reinstalling. swapped hdd's. next im going to check and see if my install disk is an issue. then ill swap optical drives, and grfx cards. then it will be completely different. i hate this.:(
i am taking the next day off, to not repair it. im frusterated enough as-is. :?

btw, i will never buy creative products again, my first nib didnt work right out of the box, second did for a couple weeks, then died. the most reliable one i had, was a refurb one, it just died after two months. i know that is one thing locking it up.

TheMainMan
04-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Is it BSODing or just powering off?

Cale_Hagan
04-17-2011, 02:58 PM
well, it would just lose power completely. i swapped out almost all the hardware, and it hangs at windows install after copying files then reboot and freeze....
im going to try to get it stable, then swap back in my parts slowly.... >.> i swear there is an unknown law that i am able to only have 1 computer at a time working, as once i fix one, i lose another. :mad:

TheMainMan
04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Do you have another place you could plug it in? If it's still doing the same thing with all new parts your problem may not be the computer itself. Do you have it plugged into a power bar/surge protector?

Cale_Hagan
04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
it works now. the creative originally locked it up, it bsod'd and wouldnt stop it so i tried reinstall. it was bad media. the same media for 7 i used about 5 days ago. =/ thank god for backups. now the only problem is i swapped out my graphics cards (the two 6870s) for 2 5870s and a 9800gtx+ to fold better, and the 5870s work fine, but when i try to install 9800 drivers, it says i dont have one.... =/

edit: i feel lucky it isnt the caps, but frustrated it took 6 hours to figure out bad media...

Fuganater
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
it works now. the creative originally locked it up, it bsod'd and wouldnt stop it so i tried reinstall. it was bad media. the same media for 7 i used about 5 days ago. =/ thank god for backups. now the only problem is i swapped out my graphics cards (the two 6870s) for 2 5870s and a 9800gtx+ to fold better, and the 5870s work fine, but when i try to install 9800 drivers, it says i dont have one.... =/

edit: i feel lucky it isnt the caps, but frustrated it took 6 hours to figure out bad media...

Wait... you have 2 different GPU's in your system??

Cale_Hagan
04-21-2011, 12:20 AM
i decided to leave my 2 6870s in it. my computer works now! :banana:

Cale_Hagan
04-24-2011, 08:05 AM
just started to randomly shut down again. i swapped the evga mobo out for an asus rampage gene ii i had laying around. hopefully it will fix it.:mad: