PDA

View Full Version : I finally have done it....

crenn
05-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Yep, after leaving my 'site' as the default Joomla layout, I've finally started to work on it. I'd like some feedback so far, but keep in mind this is still early days for my site. Also, just a warning, it's probably a little slow, it's running on a home ADSL connection (1mbps upload) and on a 800MHz single core ARM server. If it becomes more popular, I might move to a virtual server in the US if I can afford to.

Anyway, here's my site:
www.crennsmind.com

Fuganater
05-03-2011, 07:43 AM
You using 2003, '08 or WHS? How are you hosting it? So far the sight looks good. Layout seems easy enough to navagate.

crenn
05-03-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm using Linux, Apache, and MySQL.

altec
05-03-2011, 03:10 PM
That's cool, man! I dig it! It's awesome you are running the whole deal yourself. Hosting, and all! :)

I really would like to set up my own web site sometime in the future for my custom parts. I do stuff for Paintball, and I've been wanting to get into making stuff for off-road use, as well as some computer modding stuff. Didn't used to do enough to really justify it, but I believe I'm getting close.

+Rep

crenn
05-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, it's what I can afford! xD
Look into getting a DynDNS free address (my old address: crennland.dontexist.com) and depending on your ISP, start hosting a little website on your desktop or if you have access to it, a little low powered linux box/NAS. It works quite well as a starting point, and usually if it starts becoming popular, you can quickly and easily move it to a more 'dedicated' hosting solution.

x88x
05-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Looks good so far, though it needs customization (at least your own banner) and some completed projects. :D

You using 2003, '08 or WHS?
I'm guessing Linux or BSD, since it's an ARM. ;)

..as a side note, the idea of semi-autonomous micro-UAVs is one that has intrigued me for quite some time...I've just never gotten around to doing anything with it.

For hosting, once I get a renter and upgrade myself to a 35/35 FiOS line, I would be happy to throw together a VM on my server for you to host with if you want. I can definitely identify with the problem of 'lots of cool ideas but no money to buy the parts to do any of them'.

crenn
05-04-2011, 02:20 AM
jdbnsn, your account is now activated, I need to fix up user registration, it's on my list to do.

Looks good so far, though it needs customization (at least your own banner) and some completed projects. :D
Heh, I don't know what to do for the banner, nor do I really have the skills to do it! I've never actually completed a project, and today I've mainly be working on giving the current 'future' project (the Micro electric helicopter) more detail and a rough plan and time line. You should take a look!

I'm guessing Linux or BSD, since it's an ARM. ;)

..as a side note, the idea of semi-autonomous micro-UAVs is one that has intrigued me for quite some time...I've just never gotten around to doing anything with it.

For hosting, once I get a renter and upgrade myself to a 35/35 FiOS line, I would be happy to throw together a VM on my server for you to host with if you want. I can definitely identify with the problem of 'lots of cool ideas but no money to buy the parts to do any of them'.
The third post in this thread says that it's running Linux ;)

Have you really got a RC helicopter or RC plane? If so, then you should try to make it semi-autonomous! Most people go for an arduino and a couple of sensors (ADXL335 and IDG500), and it's usually enough to get off the ground.

Ooo, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that later. Although ideally, I'd like to have a server on an NBN connection (100/40), just that's not going to happen for some time if ever. Hehe, I remember you telling me before.

x88x
05-04-2011, 02:41 AM
The third post in this thread says that it's running Linux ;)
Doh! Missed that the first time through.... :facepalm:

Have you really got a RC helicopter or RC plane? If so, then you should try to make it semi-autonomous! Most people go for an arduino and a couple of sensors (ADXL335 and IDG500), and it's usually enough to get off the ground.
I don't have one atm, no. That's one of my projects that has never really made it past the 'planning' phase. Projects I get into tend to go through five phases:
1) Initial interest -- Idea forms.
2) Research -- Find out if idea has already been done and if it is feasible to do myself.
3) Planning -- Figure out how to implement idea, figure out how to solve problems that would arise.
4) Purchase materials and tools needed.
5) Implementation -- Actually implement the idea...make whatever.

...unfortunately, I have a habit of stopping at the end of either step 3 or 4....once I figure out the problems of implementing my idea, my mind jumps onto another topic...and so on and so forth. This is why I have, atm, I think 6-7 unfinished projects sitting around my house in various states of progress.

Although ideally, I'd like to have a server on an NBN connection (100/40), just that's not going to happen for some time if ever.
If you pay me $100USD/mo I could get you on a 150/35 line. I'd even give your VM top QoS priority. :whistler: (That's the price difference between the 35/35 and the 150/35, incase you were wondering. ;) )

crenn
05-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, after Monday (my day tomorrow is only for uni work), I'll be posting a lot more content since I just finished my project proposal:
http://crennsmind.com/index.php/future-projects/71-micro-copter
It's taken me a while to write that, hopefully it's easy enough to read. I would like feedback on it if you have the time.

crenn
05-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Well, remember how I mentioned that my site was slow? I moved the database to another server in the network, but the CPU usage is still spiking, I actually decided to properly investigate what the process was. Apache is the culprit, so now I'm curious how to minimise that CPU spike while keeping it on the current server. Although I do have the other server set up with Apache, MySQL, PHP and myPhpAdmin, just I'd rather only move my server to the 'new' server, however the 2 parts of Apache aren't playing nice together.

EDIT: And if you were curious, the other server is running Windows 7 Pro x86

Fuganater
05-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Have you tried a Server 2003 VM yet?

crenn
05-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't have a license for it. Also I don't have a machine powerful enough for me to consider running it.

Fuganater
05-10-2011, 11:30 AM
You can run it on anything. I used to run it on a P4 with 2gb of ram. And I can hook you up with a key if you want...

x88x
05-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I used to run it on a P4 with 2gb of ram.
I see you that P4 and raise you a 900MHz PIII with 128MB of RAM. :D Granted it pretty much ran like crap if I tried to make it do anything besides work as a Samba server...but still. :P

Personally I prefer Linux now, though. Partly because I don't have to worry about licensing, partly because it runs so much lighter on system resources...especially if I don't install a GUI. :D

AmEv
05-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Yes, no GUI definitely = more speed.

But Web browsing must be a bit more challenging....

x88x
05-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Yes, no GUI definitely = more speed.

But Web browsing must be a bit more challenging....
Why would I need to do any web browsing on a headless server? Besides, I happen to like lynx. :whistler:

AmEv
05-11-2011, 01:00 AM
OH.

I am a Linux fan myself.

Ubuntu 11.04... it's strange, but a win.

x88x
05-11-2011, 01:22 AM
Incidentally, if you don't like the new 11.04 look, just select 'Ubuntu Classic' as the login type. Takes you back to the normal view. Thanks, Canonical, I know you're just trying to help, but not everything needs to look like OS-X. :P

crenn
05-11-2011, 08:44 AM
I prefer to use Windows 7 as a server because I remote into it daily so I'm never 'offline', and it stays on to run other functions such as my website's database, Altitude server for when me and my girlfriend want to play and a link to my files at home if I need access to them.

AmEv
05-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I actually kinda like Unity. Kinda.

I'd actually prefer KDE, but it's a bit heavy....