PDA

View Full Version : In Game Audio

blue73
04-22-2006, 07:16 PM
The question is, and I apologise if this has been done before but it's a subject I find pretty important, how do You hear/listen to Your games.. On a PC/Mac , console or tiddlywinks. The reason I ask is I was playin NFS Most Wanted via my AV setup/XBox and thought it sounded awsome,though the game itself is turd it sounds wicked. Anyway I 'd like to ask how do you all play? Do You use standard dektop speakers or go for fully blown AV kit like me and at the end of the day does it really matter? Forgive me if this has bin done before but I Think it's pretty important......

All the best Kev

Slug Toy
04-22-2006, 07:27 PM
well, i have a 2.1 setup and a creative audigy 2 sound card on my computer, so i get pretty good sound quality, but not the best. ive heard better, and more powerful systems. i could probably go 5.1, but those are expensive, and i dont really feel like it.

ive got a ps2 and ive had my friend over with his xbox, and we hook it up to my dads home theatre system with a big screen and 7.1 audio with an 18" subwoofer. i think it goes to 800 watts a channel. i have to say, thats a kick ass setup. for $50 000 or more, it should be too. when im the only one home, i plug in gran turismo 4, turn up the sound, and rattle the windows with my gt40.

i too think audio is a pretty big factor in games and anything else for that matter. many times my life has been saved thanks to footsteps from my right or left. especially battlefield 2 since i spend a lot of time looking through a sniper scope.

public_eyesore
04-22-2006, 07:45 PM
i have mine going to av, and have it hooked up to my sony stereo

blue73
04-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Public what kind of gear do You use? Is it a home cinema setup or is Your gaming gear seperate from Your PC. See my gaming PC, modded XBox and other consoles are all plumbed into the same. Its sad I know but I can't watch football, movies or play games without havin me amp turned on. It's daft I know but Halo/FIFA/GTA just does'nt sound the same. I feel there's a lot of really hardcore gamers that are missing out..Maybe I'm missing the point but I cant play the games I love or movies I love without havin the old sub and amp on. What do You rekon?

blue73
04-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Slug $50.000...wtf... Theres a movie house called The Curzon that could do with a $50.000 make over near to me.. Jeese my whole setup, while bye no means audio/videophile, has cost me a fortune but still looks and sounds wicked... I dunno I guess its just down to how you justify yer spendin..

Omega
04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
My main box runs a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value, along with Creative Sound Blaster 2.1 speakser (With a wood cone 5" sub). Those are good for general gaming/music, but when i want better bass (to my ears, anyways) and higher quality audio, i plug in my TDK MP100's (2.1 headphones).

-Omega

CanaBalistic
04-23-2006, 04:24 AM
I have my computer runing into the multi source input on my 500watt sony home thearter amp 5.1 I've replaced the woofers in my main speaker boxes with 500watt car audio subs i also have the 500watt powered subwoofer going aswell.

I cant use my multi source input for consoles so i run it through the aux input on the back of my amp and digitaly decode it to 5.1.

I just use the intergrated audio on my motherboard which has 8ch audio output.

My setup is very loud and crisp but not as loud as my old (blown) rca home thearter amp running in bypass mode with the 12inch car subs but oh well. the sony amp has a clearer signal and allows me to hook up the audio from my computer normaly without using lots of spliters and such.

blue73
04-23-2006, 07:06 AM
I'm just wonderin how many people are missing out on the whole gaming thing by not hearing the games as they should be heard. I mentioned NFS MW before and while it's not a very good game, some will disagree I know, theres an Audi TT in there and it sounds very good. You can really see, sorry hear where all the hard work has gone.. Which other games out there sound this well?

onelegout
04-23-2006, 11:07 AM
I was actualy contemplating buying an x-fi card, the cheapest one of course! I have AC'97 (i think) audio intergrated into my mobo and I play through headphones mainly! - do you think it would give me NOTICABLE sound quality increase if I switched to an x-fi card? or is it not worth the money?

I just sat on my headphones and broke them!:( *gets superglue*

To answer your question: I play FPS so yeah sound is a big part for me. Not so much in bf2 but I couldnt play CS:S without headphones, it would be impossible! I rely on sound more than anything else in CS:S, people dont realise how useful it is! forget wallhacks just stick some headphones on and you know theyre coming way before they turn the corner and come face to face with your AK :D

public_eyesore
04-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Public what kind of gear do You use? Is it a home cinema setup or is Your gaming gear seperate from Your PC. See my gaming PC, modded XBox and other consoles are all plumbed into the same. Its sad I know but I can't watch football, movies or play games without havin me amp turned on. It's daft I know but Halo/FIFA/GTA just does'nt sound the same. I feel there's a lot of really hardcore gamers that are missing out..Maybe I'm missing the point but I cant play the games I love or movies I love without havin the old sub and amp on. What do You rekon?
I just have my stereo hooked up to my comp, and for gaming on my ps2, i just use the tv. If im having having a party or somthing tho, i would hook the ps2 up to my stereo.

Heres my stereo, i love it. It has a 60 cd changer, and its got a thing called game mixer, so if you wanna turn your music of in the game and play your own cds, you still get the sound.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005I9RW/002-6372188-8312859?v=glance&n=172282

Slug Toy
04-24-2006, 12:12 AM
I was actualy contemplating buying an x-fi card, the cheapest one of course! I have AC'97 (i think) audio intergrated into my mobo and I play through headphones mainly! - do you think it would give me NOTICABLE sound quality increase if I switched to an x-fi card? or is it not worth the money?

ive heard stuff from integrated audio, and an x-fi. there really is no comparison, they're just so different. to me, the integrated stuff just sounds flat, and you dont really get a full range of sound either. the x-fi on the other hand can do things with a 5.1 setup that will blow your mind. for the 100 some odd dollars for the lowest end card, i would definitely spend the money.

onelegout
04-24-2006, 06:38 PM
ive heard stuff from integrated audio, and an x-fi. there really is no comparison, they're just so different. to me, the integrated stuff just sounds flat, and you dont really get a full range of sound either. the x-fi on the other hand can do things with a 5.1 setup that will blow your mind. for the 100 some odd dollars for the lowest end card, i would definitely spend the money.

You guys will bring me to poverty. I tell thee.

Slug Toy
04-24-2006, 10:30 PM
that, sir, is my mission in life.

bigbaddog
04-25-2006, 02:35 PM
I had a Soundblaster Live card and a set of 4.0 speakers...just recently upgraded to an Audigy card and my wife bought me a set of Logitech 5.1. This setup really rocks and didn't break the bank.

CanaBalistic
04-25-2006, 11:07 PM
well x-fi boasts a whopping 15% quality boost over intergrated audio. To me that doesnt sound like a bang for my buck. Considering the cost of some cards. My 8ch internal audio sounds crystal clear. I believe its the quality of the speakers and amp that determins the quality of the audio.