PDA

View Full Version : need help asap, no sound

diluzio91
05-12-2011, 12:00 AM
got to my clients house to deliver her PC, hooked everything up, and i have no sound... its not a layer 1 error or an id10t, i unplugged the hd audio jack from the mobo, and am plugged directly into the motherboard on the back for my speakers.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3812/unledsyz.png (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/unledsyz.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

she has a tv tuner and the drivers for audio are installed.

crenn
05-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Turn off jack detection.

DynamoNED
05-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Hmmm...You have probably checked these already, but here goes:

Try uninstalling the driver and see if it works with the generic Windows one. If so, you'll have a stopgap measure until you can more fully investigate the problem.
Are the audio drivers the latest ones? You could be running into a driver bug, especially with just released drivers. Perhaps try an older set of drivers to test if there's a backwards compatibility problem.
Does the motherboard you used in the client's PC have a history of audio problems? I'm sure you researched the board thoroughly, but at worst you've wasted a few minutes Googling it.
In the same vein as the last one, but check the actual physical sound chip on the board. If it passes a visual inspection, take a multimeter to it and make sure it is receiving current (or check for heat with a infrared thermometer.)
Does the client's PC have a graphics card? If so, does it have a SPDIF or HDMI audio output? If yes to both of these, make sure this audio output is not overriding the default motherboard audio.

Being dead tired after writing the study guide to the final for my High School Chemistry I course I teach, this is all I could come up with off my head, but I'm sure others will have more.

diluzio91
05-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Solution for the night? Plug in an hdmi cable to her monitor, and run the audio through the monitor... the realtec control panel said that the digital out was connected, i looked at the back, and there was no digital output on the mobo... im thinking it might be defective, but anything else you can come up with would be appreciated. i have till friday to fix this, but at the moment she has sound and a 745am final, so i decided it was best pursued in the morning.

Airbozo
05-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Could the digital out be the tuner card?

I have a similar issue with my HTPC. I have to disable the digital to use the analog...

diluzio91
05-12-2011, 01:48 AM
i dont know how to disable the digital, they are the same driver. i tried removing the TV card as well.

dr.walrus
05-12-2011, 03:06 AM
hit it with a hammer

diluzio91
05-12-2011, 03:19 AM
tried that too... =/

Airbozo
05-12-2011, 11:18 AM
i dont know how to disable the digital, they are the same driver. i tried removing the TV card as well.

I had to go into the sound control panel and switch the audio out to either analog or digital before it would work. I had to do this for the PowerDVD software and then again for windows media player. Just changing the PowerDVD software didn't help.

I have Hockey tonight so I can't double check where I changed it, but I can look tomorrow.

Oneslowz28
05-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I was having similar issues with the Audio Jack on the Cooler Master Storm Sniper. It would not work no matter what I did. It was also messing up the internal jack and everything would either not work or sound 100000 miles away. When I unplugged the front port from the Mobo the issue went away.

When I switched to the HAF X, the front port worked fine and all my audio issues went away. Definitely try unplugging the front audio.

Twigsoffury
05-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Got the analog set as the preferred audio device in the sound control panel?

diluzio91
05-13-2011, 01:38 AM
it wont allow me to do that...

All the settings and prefs are greyed out

Twigsoffury
05-14-2011, 01:12 AM
it wont allow me to do that...

All the settings and prefs are greyed out

I'm all pilled out from mouth surgury so right now isnt the best time for technical queries lol.

thats a weird problem though.

whats it say in the device manager under the audio devices?

[edit]

can u post ur dxdiag the audio portion?

diluzio91
05-14-2011, 05:35 PM
i'll try to remote into her computer tonight, but shes taking her friend to the airport, so it may be a day or 2 before i have access again.