PDA

View Full Version : How to make this run this?

Kayin
05-17-2011, 09:35 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/RGB-LED-Strip-5M-Flex-Wateproof-SMD5050-Control-10-OFF-/260785725075?pt=Lamps_US&hash=item3cb80a5e93 <-- This is my proposed lighting source. Strips of RGB LEDs in a "cut every three" configuration on a tape that will dissipate what little heat they produce. Waterproof isn't the issue here, just happened to be on here. Is there a way to make this LED strip (possibly cut into threes) into an array that can be driven by an Arduino? Would I need to solder lines to some kind of breadboard or what?

It needs in the end to be able to be a programmable X by X RGB array (like a graphic LCD) so it would be compatible with Arduino aquarium lighting software-it's for a fish tank lighting hood. I think it's a little easier than trying to wire up Luxeons to buckpucks. If it's not (this is for a small tank) can someone point me in a better direction?

crenn
05-18-2011, 12:10 AM
This is a case of you can't actually address each individual LED from what I can see, so you can't use it like an LED matrix, from my understanding of the eBay page, to drive those you need 3 PWM pins per strip, a positive power source and a MOSFET for every colour.

SXRguyinMA can help more, since he's using serially addressed RGB LED strips in his project.

Kayin
05-18-2011, 01:15 AM
So would some of the 8x8 arrays on Ebay work? And exactly how bright are they?

crenn
05-18-2011, 05:46 AM
Probably the 8x8 arrays would work, as for how bright, it depends, they might just be bright enough to show up in daylight. If you can buy a bulk pack of RGB LEDs, you might be able to achieve something similar depending on how fast you need to drive them.

Kayin
05-18-2011, 11:25 AM
4 legs, common anode, right? I'm seeing plenty of bulk packs out there, but most are "slow flash" and I don't think they're what I want.

Maybe I need to post my code and you guys tell me what LEDs I need.

SXRguyinMA
05-18-2011, 05:17 PM
the 5mm RGB ones I got were from www.ledshoppe.com. There are common anode AND common cathode versions, so make sure you get the ones you need. The ones I use are all common anode, as the LED Rainbow kit I have it set up to be used in that fashion

Kayin
05-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Found 3 SMD strips and a controller that can handle them pretty easily. It'll piggyback on over my sensor shield, so I'll have enough capacity to run 48w of LEDs in any pattern I need.

Now to find the right software...

crenn
05-19-2011, 02:57 AM
Just need to find someone nice to help you develop the software!