PDA

View Full Version : BoxKart - lan stand and cart in one

BS Mods
05-19-2011, 12:30 AM
I've been doing a little side project that I guess could be modding?? Or maybe building?? Hope this is the right spot for this..

I've seen everyone struggle with bringing in their stuff at the lan, and I've seen many different types of stands that people have made for stacking their stuff up.

So I decided I would make something that could do it all. And keep it real simple.

I designed a box that would act as a cart with a handle that you can set all your stuff in, then wheel it in to the lan easily, unload it and flip it upside down onto the table, then set up your gear and your ready to rock!

I made it lightweight, rugged, won't break, easy to clean, chemical and water resistant, and easy to handle.

So here it is - I give you - - - - the Lan Buddy

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/BOBDBONE/BoxKart/IMG_6823.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/BOBDBONE/BoxKart/IMG_6826.jpg

So here is all your stuff to go in it waiting to be loaded -

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/BOBDBONE/BoxKart/IMG_6832.jpg

So you stack it in there -

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/BOBDBONE/BoxKart/IMG_6833.jpg

And, you strap it in for safety -

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/BOBDBONE/BoxKart/IMG_6834.jpg

Pull up the 3 stage retractable handle -

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/BOBDBONE/BoxKart/IMG_6840.jpg

And off you go -

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/BOBDBONE/BoxKart/IMG_6844.jpg

Once you get there it's time to unpack and flip it over -

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/BOBDBONE/BoxKart/IMG_6931.jpg

The monitor goes underneath and will fit anything up to 17 -1/2" tall. The case goes on top and fits between the wheels and the front stud. It can also be strapped to the top using the handle holes.

I have handle holes in the back and sides that will allow for strapping and running wires when using it as a stand.

It's nice for privacy as well if you're gaming and you don't want anyone seeing your screen.

With the handle holes I can pick it up and carry the whole thing, or load it in the car with everything in it.

The one in this picture is a 24" wide box but I also have one that is 30" wide. Some lans have different amounts of space and this will guarantee you are getting the right amount. The 30" has tons of room for extra stuff too.

I built them for me to use but I thought people might be interested in getting one too. If anyone is interested I can mass produce these. The material itself is kind of expensive but if I buy bulk I can get a better deal. It's King Starlite marine board. It's awesome stuff. These don't have to be used just for lans either. I'm using mine for hauling stuff around for work, and so far so good.

Let me know if interested 8)

SXRguyinMA
05-19-2011, 08:26 AM
you need to start selling these :D if I knew of any LANs in my area to go to I might need one lol

AmEv
05-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Man!

My local mall has events in the central hub, like auctions and mini-parties and... stuff!
When will a local LAN party happen?!?

Fuganater
05-19-2011, 01:10 PM
There are no LAN parties here but I'd buy one just to buy it.

AmEv
05-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Well, I AM interested!
I'm just short on cash right now.

And I personally don't have any working LCDs.

*I'd probably take the 30" one. If I remember, ModCron is ~25*~25*~10.

BS Mods
05-20-2011, 12:27 AM
After a lot of response on these from a few forums, it looks like I will be making some to sell.

The most expensive part of them is the marine board. A 4' x 8' x 1/2" sheet generally sells for about $250 or more. And I can get enough material for 2 out of 1 sheet. Add the wheels, handle, etc. and it's around $150 just in materials for each one. Then it takes about 4 hours of labor to cut, drill, screw, and sand all the edges for a finished product.

But, I was able to get an account with the supplier at wholesale cost on both the marine board and the luggage parts so I cut my cost down.

If I can get some pre-orders on them I can sell the 24" for $139 and the 30" for $159. This is less than what the material alone would cost someone so it's a pretty good deal. If I don't get quite a few orders I can still do them for another $30 I think.

I already have requests for custom sizes that I will be making. I can do larger sizes by switching to 3/4" thick material for extra strength. And as an option I can put 4 swivel wheels on it (add $15) so it can be rolled any direction to make it go through doorways easier.

Also, I think the official name of them should be - BoxKart
:?:

Whatcha think..

AmEv
05-20-2011, 12:59 AM
The Companion Cube! 0 [<3] 0

You need something catchy, definitely.

BS Mods
05-20-2011, 11:08 AM
The Companion Cube! 0 [<3] 0

Hmmmm, I think I've heard that name used somewhere before....lol

AmEv
05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
LANd-Roller?

blueonblack
05-20-2011, 02:40 PM
First off, outstanding product! I love it.

I do have a question though.

A 4' x 8' x 1/2" sheet generally sells for about $250 or more.

Is there a reason you have to use this incredibly overpriced material? You can get a sheet of *very* nice 3/4" oak veneer plywood for 1/4 of that. You'd have some edges to deal with but for the cost difference you might get more customers. Just a suggestion, I do love the material you're using, and again, excellent design and implementation. +rep

BS Mods
05-20-2011, 09:05 PM
First off, outstanding product! I love it.

I do have a question though.

Is there a reason you have to use this incredibly overpriced material? You can get a sheet of *very* nice 3/4" oak veneer plywood for 1/4 of that. You'd have some edges to deal with but for the cost difference you might get more customers. Just a suggestion, I do love the material you're using, and again, excellent design and implementation. +rep

Good question.

I have made some from wood as well. And yes it is way cheaper. But, this material is lightweight, won't fade, chip, crack, peel, never needs paint or stain, won't break, resists chemicals, easy to clean, can get wet, has no odor and will not hold odors, cuts easy, can be nailed, screwed, stapled, drilled, and has a nice texture. Those are just some of the benefits. ;)

It's used in the marine industry mostly but it's also used for things like cutting boards and stuff.

I can do wood ones that are unstained or painted for cheaper but I would run into a little more labor because I would have to glue/staple/putty/sand to make them nice. So I would want $99 for them.

blueonblack
05-21-2011, 08:42 AM
this material is lightweight, won't fade, chip, crack, peel, never needs paint or stain, won't break, resists chemicals, easy to clean, can get wet, has no odor and will not hold odors, cuts easy, can be nailed, screwed, stapled, drilled, and has a nice texture.

Good points all. :)

Twigsoffury
05-29-2011, 12:03 PM
man ill see if i can find buds pictures from when the gibson was attached to a luggage cart. with power cables coming out from the case wrapped around the luggage rack..totally ghetto ahaha

hilarious.

(great job on yours man!)

chaksq
06-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Really good idea and implemented well. I'd only be worried about having the computer tower that high up, seems like formula to get knocked over. I was actually thinking recently that if I still went to LANs I'd build a custom flight case to house my setup.

BS Mods
06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Really good idea and implemented well. I'd only be worried about having the computer tower that high up, seems like formula to get knocked over. I was actually thinking recently that if I still went to LANs I'd build a custom flight case to house my setup.

I made sure to make it wide enough that it won't tip at all, even with big full tower cases. And, I have a strap that goes around the case and through the Kart when the case is sitting on top so that it's strapped down tight.

I just went to a lan and used the 30" one and it worked awesome. Loaded my stuff in it and walked in with everything all in one trip. It was so easy! I even had food and drinks in it, and a duffel bag. 8)