PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new media player(Ipod suggestion not welcome)

Rock22
05-21-2011, 07:16 PM
I want to get a new mp3 player.
But don't an Ipod since EVERYONE knows what they are and what they do.
So I would like suggestions that are not Apple/Ipod brand. Thanks.

Here is what I want:
Atleast 8gigs, would like a SD card slot.
Wifi Access
Internet Browser that lets you watch youtube and such.
Video would be nice.
Touch screen would be neat.

I've been looking at the Archos 43 and 32 & the Samsung galaxy player 4(but its not out yet).
So any suggestions would be nice, besides the 2 before and Ipods.

Thanks
-Rock22

x88x
05-22-2011, 02:43 AM
That browser requirement is really going to limit your options....I think...I haven't really been paying much attention to the portable media player market recently..

Another option that might meet your requirements better would be to get an android phone with wifi and just don't get a cell plan for it.

diluzio91
05-23-2011, 01:31 PM
the archos can be hacked for android rom's, so i would look at those if you cant wait for the samsung player.

xr4man
05-23-2011, 02:34 PM
get an ipod.

sorry, couldn't resist saying it.

DemonDragonJ
06-24-2014, 06:56 PM
I have decided to revive this thread, because I, also, am seeking a new .mp3 player.

Some time ago, my 32 GB Creative Zen (an amazing device) ceased functioning without any warning, and my first desire was to purchase a new device, but Creative no longer manufactures the version of the device that I owned, and the newest version, the Creative Zen X-Fi 3, is a severe disappointment, according to user reviews, so I must now turn to another brand to find a suitable .mp3 player.

My requirements for a new device are as follows:

-It cannot be an IPod, since I wish to avoid those simply because they are so popular and prevalent
-It must have a storage capacity of 16 GB or greater (since I currently have 9.5 GB of music on my computer)
-It must have the ability to browse through music by artist name, album name, or genre, and have the ability for custom playlists
-It must have a custom equalizer (the ability to adjust bass, treble, and midrange frequencies)

With those requirements in mind, what recommendations can anyone here make for me? Thank you very much.

d_stilgar
06-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Original Zune will satisfy that, although it's hard to get a hold of these days. Zune HD can change preset EQ settings, but not custom, but is totally awesome (still use mine every day).

If not those, then I'd look at the Ponos music player. You'll be in the hip crowd with it while not being in the iPod group.

msmrx57
06-25-2014, 02:07 PM
I've got a Sansa Clip Zip that I love. The EQ has presets or 1 5 channel custom setting, however they only go up to 8G. They do however have Fuse+ in 16G that got good reviews and has the same basic system.

Twigsoffury
06-29-2014, 08:31 PM
what about an older Galaxy II Rocket or something?

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Samsung-Galaxy-S-II_41.jpg

DemonDragonJ
07-30-2015, 09:45 PM
It seems that Creative is no longer updating their Zen series of media players, which is a major tragedy, since I was very fond of those devices.

Thankfully, however, I have discovered that Sony is producing digital media players, and these (http://store.sony.com/16gb-walkman-mp3-player-zid27-NWZE385BLK/cat-27-catid-All-MP3-Players;pgid=IyNa.ffIgUdSRpR25DTvU4ql0000VBvGGQjL; sid=_Wh3XxgWUnp0X02sMhcWWygcl3xCCNR1w4uEwoX1) two (http://store.sony.com/64-gb-hi-res-walkman-digital-music-player-zid27-NWZA17SLV/cat-27-catid-All-MP3-Players;pgid=IyNa.ffIgUdSRpR25DTvU4ql0000VBvGGQjL; sid=_Wh3XxgWUnp0X02sMhcWWygcl3xCCNR1w4uEwoX1?_t=pf m%3Dcategory) models interest me; the 16 gigabyte model is the more affordable of the two, but, since I currently have 13 gigabytes worth of music on my computer, and am frequently adding more, I shall likely fill it entirely very quickly, so I shall likely need greater storage capacity, even at such a high price.

What does everyone else say about this? Are those two .mp3 players worthwhile considerations?

DemonDragonJ
07-31-2015, 09:22 AM
What about this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CB0RT0/ref=olp_product_details/181-2836197-9285010?ie=UTF8&me=) player? This is the closest model that I could find to my previous player; in fact, it is nearly identical, apart from the slightly different buttons. It seems to have been discontinued by the manufacturer, but there are some used devices still available for purchase.

TheMainMan
07-31-2015, 10:56 AM
I use a Nokia Lumia 520 that I picked up from an Amazon Gold Box deal for $29. The 520 doesn't have a custom equalizer but pretty much all of the other Lumia phones do. The 630 can often be found on sale for less than $50. All the Lumias that will take an SD card will work with cards up to 128GB. The default music app has artists, albums, songs, genres, playlists and radio(FM) as options. Easy to use with a Windows PC as it can be accessed as an external storage device.

DemonDragonJ
09-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Recently, I asked about a new music device on another forum, and the users there mentioned both Cowon and Fiio as brands that have produced excellent players. Has anyone here heard of those brands, and, if so, what do you think of them?

DemonDragonJ
09-19-2015, 09:15 PM
After much research and deliberation, I have decided that the Fiio X1 player (http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X1-FiiO-Silver/dp/B00NS3MRKC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8) is the best device for me, since it is no more than $100.00 in price and has all the features that I seek. The only negative aspect of it is that it does not have internal storage, which, given that flash memory has become very inexpensive in recent years, is inexcusable. However, it shall not be a major concern for me to purchase an SD card to use with the device.

Having said that, can anyone here recommend a good micro SD card to use with the device, one that balances capacity, speed, price, and reliability?

x88x
09-22-2015, 08:08 PM
I would look for one with a class UHS-1 or faster. UHS-1 cards are pretty common now, so you should be able to find one fairly cheap. I can't find any mention of what classes the device supports, but they're backwards compatible, so worst case the player will be your bottleneck.

As far as what manufacturer, SanDisk and Samsung are usually my go-to manufacturers if performance is key. Otherwise, I usually get the Microcenter house brand, but that's just because I have one near me. The speed classes are standardized, so any in the same class should perform pretty much the same.

DemonDragonJ
09-24-2015, 07:14 AM
I would look for one with a class UHS-1 or faster. UHS-1 cards are pretty common now, so you should be able to find one fairly cheap. I can't find any mention of what classes the device supports, but they're backwards compatible, so worst case the player will be your bottleneck.

As far as what manufacturer, SanDisk and Samsung are usually my go-to manufacturers if performance is key. Otherwise, I usually get the Microcenter house brand, but that's just because I have one near me. The speed classes are standardized, so any in the same class should perform pretty much the same.

Yes, that makes sense, and I am considering this card, here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K26N6656), since two of the computers in my house have Samsung SSD's, and I have been very pleased with their performance, thus far. However, I am not certain whether I should purchase the 32 gigabyte card, or the 64 gigabyte card; I currently have 13 gigabytes worth of music on my computer, and I am frequently adding more, and I also plan to keep the player for as long as possible, so possibly the 64 GB card is better. However, it has taken me over a decade to gather that much music, so I imagine that it would take at least another decade to add another 13 GB of music to my collection, so perhaps I should save myself some money and get only the 32 GB card. What do you say about that?

TheMainMan
09-24-2015, 09:23 AM
The nice thing about removable storage is that you can always upgrade later if needed. The prices on the higher capacity cards drop substantially every time they add larger ones to the lineup so I find that buying something that will give you some room to grow in the short term then replacing it later is my preferred strategy. I paid roughly the same for the 32GB card I put in my phone 8 months ago as for the 2 year old, 8GB card it replaced.

x88x
09-24-2015, 10:33 PM
The nice thing about removable storage is that you can always upgrade later if needed. The prices on the higher capacity cards drop substantially every time they add larger ones to the lineup so I find that buying something that will give you some room to grow in the short term then replacing it later is my preferred strategy.
:stupid:

Buy the 32GB. By the time you need more space, the 64GB will probably be cheaper and faster than the 32GB is today.

DemonDragonJ
09-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Buy the 32GB. By the time you need more space, the 64GB will probably be cheaper and faster than the 32GB is today.

Yes, that is what I shall do; I shall likely purchase the player on this Saturday, and, after I receive it and have used it, I shall let you know my opinion of it.

DemonDragonJ
09-26-2015, 11:03 PM
I am about to purchase the device, but Amazon is offering a three-year coverage plan, to protect the player in the case of damage, for only an additional $16. Should I purchase that, as well? Is the insurance worth the price?

DemonDragonJ
09-27-2015, 09:37 AM
I jut ordered the player, as well as this SD card, here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IVPU894?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00). I currently have 13 gigabytes of music on my computer, which has taken me over a decade to accumulate, and I imagine that it shall take at least another decade to collect another 13 GB, so 32 GB shall be more than sufficient, for me. I also did purchase the protection plan, because it is better to be safe than sorry, to use a common phrase.

The player should take approximately a week to arrive, and, when it does, I shall post my thoughts about it.

x88x
09-27-2015, 01:07 PM
I am about to purchase the device, but Amazon is offering a three-year coverage plan, to protect the player in the case of damage, for only an additional $16. Should I purchase that, as well? Is the insurance worth the price?

I assume this is moot at this point, but just my own personal take on stuff..

I very rarely opt for retailer coverage plans for consumer electronics unless the item is very expensive and either the manufacturer does not offer any sort of warranty or the manufacturer requires shipping the product oversees (this is why I got the Microcenter plan for the Auria monitor I bought a couple years ago). The main reasons why I rarely get these coverage plans are, in no particular order: most manufacturers offer a decent warranty in which case the retailer coverage plan would just save me some time, most modern electronics are actually pretty solid these days, and most coverage plans are voided by any tampering (ie, modifications).

DemonDragonJ
09-30-2015, 09:22 PM
The micro SD card has arrived, today, and I am very surprised by how small it it; I knew that it would be small, but I did not know that it would be only 1 centimeter/1/2 inch in size; I shall need to be careful that I do not lose it! Hopefully, the player itself shall arrive, soon, so I can test it out.

x88x
10-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Yup, they're pretty tiny alright. It still amazes me that you can get them up to 200GB now...

DemonDragonJ
10-01-2015, 10:21 PM
The player arrived, today! I shall now share my impressions of it.

First, it is a very attractive device, physically; it feels solid and is a shiny, but not too shiny, silver color. The buttons are easy to use, and the interface seems intuitive, as well. It did have a black rubber casing, but I removed that, since it made it difficult for me to push the buttons.

The packaging included a USB cable, which is used for charging the device and connecting to a computer for transferring data to it. This device uses micro USB, which means that the mini-USB wall charger that I purchased for my previous .mp3 player is useless for this device. :evil: However, I just remembered that my cell phone also uses a micro-USB interface, so I can use the charger from that device for this device. :D

The first thing that I did with the device was to update its firmware, to ensure that it has the best performance. I have not yet added any songs to it, since I have over 13 gigabytes' worth of music, and the device's interface is only USB 2.0, so transferring that much music shall take longer than I have, now; I shall add my music to it on the weekend.

The device does not have any software; it is merely recognized by the computer as an external storage device, but that does not bother me, since I still have the media organizer from my previous player on my computer, even if it cannot recognize the new device.

Very thankfully, the device does have a custom equalizer, but I do not yet know if it allows for the creation of custom playlists; I sincerely hope that it does, since I have eleven custom playlists in my music collection, and I wish to be able to listen to all of them with this device.

Soon, I shall transfer my music to the device, and give it a proper test, and I shall post the results of that test, here.

x88x
10-01-2015, 11:51 PM
It might be worth it to invest in a USB 3.0 media reader, and just read/write the card through that. Many years ago I picked up a crappy basic little mp3 player off of dealextreme, and had to do that with the SD card it used...because the mp3 player only had a USB1.1 interface...but hey, it was $15 shipped in 2006.

Re the charging, yeah, microUSB-B is pretty much the standard power interface now for small electronics. I love it because it means that almost any of my random stuff that I want to charge, I can just use the same charger. I actually found some awesome little USB power bricks[1][2] with several ports on them. Great for keeping on the desk with cables[3] already plugged in. Need to charge something, just grab a plug and go. :D Also great for the workbench if you're like me and are constantly futzing with various little SBCs. ;)

[1] 5-port 45W (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTGETFG)
[2] 6-port 60W (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P936188)
[3] 6 inch USB A to micro-B (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YKX6WM)

DemonDragonJ
10-04-2015, 01:12 AM
I still have not yet added my music to the player, to test it out, since I am re-encoding many of my songs from their original CD's before I do that; many of them, I encoded years ago, before I became aware that higher bitrates equal better sound quality, so I now am upgrading them from 128 Kbits/second to 256 or 320 Kbps.

The device does not seem to have an FM receiver, as did my previous device, which is regrettable, but hardly a major loss, since I can still use my car's normal radio receiver for that.

With that being said, I wonder if I should purchase an aftermarket receiver for my car, one that has an auxiliary input, so that I can forgo using an FM transmitter to play music from my device in my car. I plan to keep my current car for as long as possible, but I am not certain if it would be worth the cost of purchasing a new radio receiver.

I have decided that I shall keep the rubber casing on the device; while it is regrettable that the device's shiny body shall be covered, I wish to keep it intact for as long as is possible, given that I spent $100.00 on it.

The device requires that the SD card be formatted in the FAT32 format, which I find to be rather odd, given that the FAT file system was rendered obsolete by NTFS many years ago. Why would this device still be using such an old file system?

x88x
10-04-2015, 02:00 AM
With that being said, I wonder if I should purchase an aftermarket receiver for my car, one that has an auxiliary input, so that I can forgo using an FM transmitter to play music from my device in my car. I plan to keep my current car for as long as possible, but I am not certain if it would be worth the cost of purchasing a new radio receiver.
Depending on what you have now, there might be other options as well. When I was looking a while ago, I was able to find someone selling a special board that would plug into the existing head unit in my car, providing an aux connector that the board feeds into the tape deck connector on the head unit. Basically, it pretends that it is a tape deck.

Found the board[1]. It is a bit more expensive than I was remembering ($60), but that's still probably cheaper than a new head unit. I use mine in conjunction with a bluetooth-to-aux adapter[2].

[1] http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod
[2] http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJMV0GU

The device requires that the SD card be formatted in the FAT32 format, which I find to be rather odd, given that the FAT file system was rendered obsolete by NTFS many years ago. Why would this device still be using such an old file system?
A few reasons. FAT has three very important features: it is very simple, the specification is open source, and it has been around for a very long time. The first of these means that it is (relatively) simple to implement. Most microcontrollers that implement any mass storage use some form of FAT (in fact, last I looked, the only commonly available filesystem libraries for common microcontrollers are for FAT16/FAT32). The later two are important in providing cross platform compatibility. Yes, you could build a product around NTFS or ext3, but then you could only guarantee that it would work on Windows (NTFS) or OSX/Linux (ext3). It has only been within the last 4-5 years that NTFS support in Linux and OSX has become really stable, and Windows still has no native support for any *nix filesystems. But because FAT predates most modern filesystems, was widely used, and has an open spec, you can be pretty well guaranteed that any computer you encounter will be able to read and write FAT.

All that aside, for what this type of device is actually doing with its filesystem, FAT32 is perfectly fine (if the volume were less than 4GB I would even say stick with FAT16). It wouldn't really see any benefits from using a different filesystem. In fact, it would suffer due to the increased system complexity needed to handle that filesystem.

DemonDragonJ
10-04-2015, 11:37 PM
I finally loaded my music into the player (all 1,708 songs that I presently have) and tested it. First, I shall list the few complaints that I have about the device, before I say what I do like about it.

Most notably, while the device does allowing browsing by artist name, album title, genre, and all files, when viewing the media in the device, the device does not offer the ability to scroll by letter of the alphabet; one must manually scroll through each item in the list, which can become annoying, especially when one has as many files as I have. However, this is not a major problem, and it has not taken me long to learn to scroll very quickly with the device.

Also, some of the artists, albums, or songs had letters with accent marks in their names, and, apparently, the device did not know how to handle those characters, as it instead displayed Asian letters (Fiio is a Japanese company) in placed of the accented Latin letters. However, I fixed that problem simply by replacing the accented letters with their unaccented counterparts. Also, some songs were never on any albums, so I had the file tags labeled as such, but the device randomly assigned albums to several of the songs that were not supposed to have albums. I shall work on fixing that problem.

Now, for the positive traits: the device does indeed have the ability to have custom playlists (for which I am very thankful), although those need to be created with an external program (Fiio's own website recommends a program called Foobar 2000), so I shall sometime install such a program on my computer and use it to create my own custom playlists on the device.

Finally, for the most important part, the sound quality of the device; I tested it with numerous songs, and it seemed to me that the sound quality was very satisfactory. The volume of the device ranges from 0 to 100, and I needed to turn it to between 40 and 50 before I could hear the music well, so I hope that it shall be deafening loud when I use headphones with it. After turning up the bands on the equalizer, the sound quality greatly improved.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Fiio X1 media player; it definitely has worked well, thus far, but I hope that it lasts for many years, considering that I paid $100.00 for it. I do believe that it is worth the cost, and would recommend it to anyone else who is seeking a new media-playing device.

DemonDragonJ
10-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Today, I used my new player in my car as I drove, and I was very impressed with its performance; I could hear details in the songs that I played that I would not have been able to hear if the songs were played on a normal radio signal (although my computer still has the best sound quality of all my electronic devices). There are so few vacant frequencies in my area, but I was able to find several that worked adequately well with my FM transmitter. I am not certain if I shall use my player in my car every day, to avoid needing to constantly purchase new batteries for the transmitter (since the AC adapter for the transmitter broke, or, more accurately, its cord snapped), but I shall definitely use it on occasion, when I wish to hear songs that I know I shall enjoy.

TheMainMan
10-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Just had a duh moment while reading your post. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner but an FM modulator might be useful in your situation. They are usually a lot more reliable than FM transmitters but cheaper than a new head deck. If you're comfortable swapping your own head deck, you shouldn't have much difficulty installing a modulator. An example would be: this (http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02-Universal-Modulator-Satellite/dp/B001QBG614). Wal-mart may have them even cheaper (at least in Canada, Wal-mart is usually cheapest). They hook up inline with your FM antenna, similar to how old Nintendo consoles connected to TVs, and pass all channels through except the one you designate. As they are wired in, they can typically provide better sound by being less susceptible to interference. If you want to go this route, keep me posted and I'll be glad to offer any advice you may need.