PDA

View Full Version : The end of R2-M5?

TheGreatSatan
05-25-2011, 09:33 PM
My R2 is buggy all of a sudden. I have 8GB of DDR2 and the Task Manager reports that 90% of it is in use. I've run Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security and found nothing. It takes forever to do anything. Usually it boots in under a minute, but now it's about 5 minutes. My games don't load at all because it's pretty much frozen on start up. I've done a Ctrl Alt Delete and it took 3 minutes to open that too. The highest memory user is Microsoft Security Essential at a whopping 25MB.......?

Is my hard drive just going bad maybe?

TheGreatSatan
05-26-2011, 01:00 AM
I tried swapping out the RAM and that didn't help. I wound up putting my Vista disk in and running a Windows repair. That seemed to help a lot! I went into system properties and it says that my Windows score needs to be refreshed. I re-ran the assessment and it said that there was an error preventing the test from completing and that it could be a bad driver. I guess I'll try reinstalling my video card maybe? I think I'm still gonna gut it and just start over. Q9400's aren't exactly awesome anymore.....

Drum Thumper
05-26-2011, 02:13 AM
Whoa wait....you're running Vista on this? Therein lies your problem right there.

TheGreatSatan
05-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I figured it out. I bought Corsair HS1 USB headphones and installed the software. Later I replaced them with the analog dial version, but never uninstalled the software. Apparently it was running crazy high and then would eventually crash my system. I disabled it in msconfig and rebooted and my computer is perfect! I have a 160GB Intel SSD coming in the mail that I'll be using to clone my hard drive soon and then it'll be good for a few more years.

I never understood the hate of Vista. It's actually a great OS, but there are far too many whiney people who don't know how to tweak it and make it GREAT.

Aldersan
10-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I have to agree TGS, I used Vista for a while and, besides occasional, and usually easily fixable, compatibility problems, I had no problems with it. Not gunna lie though, Win7 is definitely an improvement though :D