PDA

View Full Version : overclock gone wrong somehow

Cannibal23
04-24-2006, 10:17 PM
hi. maybe someone has some advice for me.

the cpu is a athlon 64 x2 3800+
motherboard is abit kn8 ultra

this board and cpu were working perfectly overclocked to 2.4 ghz

for some reason it wont post or anything now

the only changes i made before this are as follows

changed the cpu core voltage from 1.35 to 1.45

was told by a coworker that i should be able to go up to 1.8 with no problems

changed the ram type selection to ddr266 rather then what it acctually is
ddr400

so now it wont post or anything. the fans dont start up. it looks like they try to start but cut out before they even make one full turn. i removed all hardware from board includeing the videocard. still nothing. i put the powersupply on a test machine but this power supply has a few connectors that the newer board uses and the old one dosent (dont know if that makes a diffrence) the test pc boots fine. i also tried removeing the cmos battery and setting the clear cmos jumper.

any ideas ppl?

bartvandenberg
04-24-2006, 11:02 PM
i had the same prob a few times. once it was my mobo, the other my psu.

other than that, i cant think of anything. only chaning your ram setttings and upping voltage that little wouldnt in any way harm either of those. and i fyour psu seems fine.. then.....my guess would be mobo.

but.. im no expert. just my 2 cents. hope all works out for you though.

Cannibal23
04-24-2006, 11:17 PM
ya im kind of thinking its the mobo too. wish i could get the lousy thing booted up one more time. its probably a bad capacitor on the board some place. think i will take it in tomarow and say ok guys replace this

Cannibal23
04-24-2006, 11:52 PM
ok i think i found part of the problem.

there is the regular power cable going to the mother board and then there is this little 4 pin yellow and black one. if that yellow and black one is not plugged in then the system's fans turn on but no video output. as soon as i plug it in it dosent start at all. kind of sounds like a short to me honestly. anyone know exactly what that yellow and black cable acctually does?

Omega
04-25-2006, 12:04 AM
The 4 pin yellow and black cable is a 12v line for the motherboard. This generally supplies anywhere from 30-40mA (or is it Amps?). And you're computer won't run without it. not properly, anyways.

And the "regular power cable going to the mother board" is called an ATX connector, generally 20 or 24 pin.

Cannibal23
04-25-2006, 11:36 AM
ya i figured it was +12v and grnd but i was more wondering if anyone knows spcifficly what part of the board this powers. i have pretty well narrowed it down the the mobo being the problem. thats the most likely culprit. a cpu should be able to take more then 1.45 volts im pretty sure (if im wrong please let me know im new to overclocking) so im thinking that its a bad capacitor or a short somewhere that is powered by that 12 v line

tybrenis
04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
If it is an overclocking issue, take out your mobo's CMOS battery. This happens to me all the time. Just pop it out of its slot, set it aside for 5 minutes and put it back in and you should boot up fine.

CanaBalistic
04-25-2006, 07:51 PM
the 4 pin connector powers the cpu voltage regulator. the capacitors then change the voltage to what it needs. this is because each brand of cpu has its own power needs and thus keeps the psu atx standard. a much better way then to have to buy a psu that matches your specific cpu.

Another thing: motherboards wont boot up without a videocard.

Yet another thing: Does your mobo beep at all? The beeps indicate the boards boot status. one beep means boot up was successful. I cant remember what more than one beep means but its not good. 2 beeps means somthing. 3 beeps means somthing else. See if your manual says somthing about it. If not, google it.

My guess is a BIOS problem. Try tybrenis' method to clear the bios. but unplug the computer before the 5 min wait

archmaille
04-25-2006, 08:47 PM
If it is an overclocking issue, take out your mobo's CMOS battery. This happens to me all the time. Just pop it out of its slot, set it aside for 5 minutes and put it back in and you should boot up fine.

man that's old school... if you want to reset your BIOS just move the jumper over for 5 sec. and move it back. But I'm afraid this guys problem is more serious than that, you should probably learn to read before posting something. But I guess you're too busy posting as many messages as possible to get your neon colored site in peoples faces.

I would have to say it is probably your motherboard. Even though, yes, a CPU can handle more voltage the quickest way to fry your motherboard is to overvoltage the CPU. Of course, this does not mean that it was not your PSU's fault. If you've got a lower quality PSU or one that only produces like 500 watts then you run a good risk of frying your stuff when overclocking. Low quality PSU's fluctuate power and those tiny power fluctuations will create big problems. I totalled out an Asus A7N8X-e Deluxe doing the same thing because of a cheap POS Ultra power supply.

Omega
04-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes, CPU's can handle higher voltages. However, 1.45 is typical of Athlon64's, And overvolting is what causes CPU burnouts.

Now, reset your CMOS jumper, and if you can boot, then don't go back and OC.

archmaille
04-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes, CPU's can handle higher voltages. However, 1.45 is typical of Athlon64's, And overvolting is what causes CPU burnouts.

Now, reset your CMOS jumper, and if you can boot, then don't go back and OC.

Agreed, but don't get your hopes up. If things do work out don't overclock because there is still a good chance that your motherboard has damage to it even though it may work at stock settings overclocking even slightly may finish off what is left.

Cannibal23
04-26-2006, 08:46 PM
thanks for all the responses guys! i really appreciate the effort to help me out. i did try the clr cmos jumper and the battery and both at the same time as well. no go. it really really really really looks like a short or a bad componant. brought it back to the place i got it from and they will give me a new one tomarow. i love warranty replacements :-) still hopeing that there is nothing wrong with the cpu ontop of things. guess i will find out when i get the new board. in regards to voltage. so im not insane then 1.45 is not too much typicaly? the powersupply is a cheepo one so i think i will be getting this part changed out before any further experiments. any good suggestions?

CanaBalistic
04-26-2006, 10:28 PM
If your board is fried i'd sugjest getting an asus mobo insted. The newer asus boards have a crash free bios. If an overclocking failure or another problem occurs then the board will ask if you'd like to start with the factory defaults or go into the bios to fix the problem yourself.

Cannibal23
04-27-2006, 02:36 AM
i think your missing the scope of the problem here. its not that the board powers on and is locked up. the board wont power on at all. even if i have that option on the board i cant get to it if it dosent power on. as in the fan for the cpu and northbridge and the power supply dont even start if the little 12v 4 pin connector is plugged in. i do sincerely appreciate your desire to help a friend out though.

Nagoshi
04-29-2006, 03:40 PM
i think your missing the scope of the problem here. its not that the board powers on and is locked up. the board wont power on at all. even if i have that option on the board i cant get to it if it dosent power on. as in the fan for the cpu and northbridge and the power supply dont even start if the little 12v 4 pin connector is plugged in. i do sincerely appreciate your desire to help a friend out though.

How strange, the same things happens to me with the P4 my uncle gave me, because his PSU fried. I bought a new 450watts (cheap) PSU. When I remove the 12v 4 pin connector, the fans will spin, but when I plug the 4 pin connector, NOTHING will power up. Same thing as you.

I still havent solve this problem tho, no money to test my CPU and mobo, and buy the new stuff if I need to, but we told me that the problem is either the CPU or the mobo. And it's not an actual overclock problem (unless your PSU blown off and damaged your mobo? my uncle doesnt even know what overclocking is, so the problem is a power problem, that could somehow be linked to overclocks and bad PSUs).

I say if you can test your CPU in another mobo, you will see if it's the CPU or the mobo that is fried.

tybrenis
04-29-2006, 11:23 PM
But I'm afraid this guys problem is more serious than that, you should probably learn to read before posting something. But I guess you're too busy posting as many messages as possible to get your neon colored site in peoples faces.

Woah, that was completely and utterly uncalled for. I don't know who you think you are, but you're certainly in no position to be insulting me.

I don't want this to turn into a flame war just because some of us are too immature and rude to let others just try and help each other.

I will have you know that I read the entire message before posting, and was simply trying to give my advice and experience. I feel the advice I gave was legit and I would like douchebags like you as well as other, self respecting users on these forums to know that I do NOT only post to advertise my site. I share a passion for modding and that is the ONLY reason I have that site. It is completely non-profit and I pay for the entire thing out of my own pocket.

Perhaps you will notice that as of right now, I only have 1.25 posts per day, with over 270 posts. And I only post here to advertise? Not to be a jerk, but from what I have seen, I am more of a modder than you will ever be, and I contribute to this community and share my work and knowledge with others. You just pick fights like this one.

Also, maybe I should mention that you ALSO have a website that you write reviews on. You ALSO have a link to your site in your signature. You ALSO posted a review of the G5 mouse that absolutely sucked - did I bother you about it? No... How hypocritical, eh?

You must feel like a total loser picking on a 14 year old. Seriously? Get a life.

Have a nice day.

DaveW
04-30-2006, 08:50 AM
that was completely and utterly uncalled for.

I couldn't agree more. If he wants your opinion he'll ask for it, so take that crap elsewhere.

-Dave

Nagoshi
04-30-2006, 09:23 AM
*waves* not the time to be insulting! Not the place too! Let's come back to the topic please...

tybrenis
04-30-2006, 09:44 AM
*waves* not the time to be insulting! Not the place too! Let's come back to the topic please...

Agreed.

Anyways... has your replacement mobo come yet? Are problems cleared up?

Cannibal23
05-01-2006, 12:01 PM
my problem was the motherboard. yours is most liekly the same. if you know someone with a p4 motherboard just pop your cpu in there and see if it posts.

Cannibal23
05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't want this to turn into a flame war .

LOL this is messed up. i have knowticed that the last few orriginal threads i have made ended up in the same kind of thing. i must have some kind of pull that makes people get surly with eachother.. must be my dark force powers or something. either way i hope people can calm down and get back to helping eachother out and shareing your knowledge and experiance rather then insulting anyone and or berateing other peoples work. now im not mentioning any names, i just think that its something we should all concider before posting. its really not worth the effort and it makes us look like a bunch of noobs that cant stick togeather as and organized group of helpfull indiviuals. this might as well be like counterstrike or something. lets keep it professional out there ladies and gents.

Cannibal23
05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Agreed.

Anyways... has your replacement mobo come yet? Are problems cleared up?

yep i got the new board on friday. Every thing went as smooth as a wetsanded peice of butter.....ummm ok bad simily i guess. well either way i got it i installed my cpu (athlon 62 x2 3800+ 2ghz) and my heatsink/ fan (thermaltake big typhoon) and got it all clocked up and happy totaly stable at 2.8ghz big smile here. thanks for your guys support

tybrenis
05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Yes, you would be right... this does seem to happen more often than before... I just PRAY that it won't become 1/10 of what counterstrike is. Then again, thats what happens when you get a bunch of violent ten years olds with microphones together mixed with a few people that are really good at the game (what a shame, IMHO).

Nagoshi
05-02-2006, 08:55 PM
So it was your motherboard? Nice! Ill pop my cpu into another motherboard and ill try it, knowing that the problem is surely a motherboard problem Ill be able to change it asap :) Thanks alot!