PDA

View Full Version : Computer Siezing?

diluzio91
05-31-2011, 10:47 PM
My computer has recently developed an interesting issue where it will freeze randomly for a second or two... I reinstalled the OS thinking that would fix any problems, yet it persists. I tested my mechanical hdd's with western digital's hd tool, but no errors popped up. The computer will have audio and video (including browser, anything on the screen) stop for a second, then resume as normal. I havn't tried gaming on it yet, but im really getting freaked out. Thanks for help guys.

Gaming has the same thing

I installed windows on a mechanical hdd. same trouble. this rules out the ssd and the hdd's...

diluzio91
06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
after 5 min memtest error-ed out. i swapped in some borrowed ram and the issue went away.

diluzio91
06-02-2011, 02:04 PM
and its back... help would really be appreciated guys

billygoat333
06-02-2011, 10:51 PM
How are your temps?

diluzio91
06-02-2011, 11:37 PM
frosty. highest temp is 50, for the hdd's. proc is 29C, vrms at 37c, mobo at 34c, gpu at 46. All clocks are stocked.

billygoat333
06-03-2011, 12:26 AM
hmm... that is odd. Have you checked all your connections? made sure everything is seated properly?

diluzio91
06-03-2011, 12:35 AM
yes, reseated ram, gpu, and sound card.... all the sata's have been unplugged... im gaming on it now, i installed the latest nvidia drivers, but im still getting some skipping...

Cale_Hagan
06-03-2011, 12:55 AM
do you have a sound card?
i had a pos creative that i believe is freaking my whole system out, when its not in one, the system does fine...

diluzio91
06-03-2011, 01:01 AM
i've tried it both in and out... i have a creative xfi...

Cale_Hagan
06-03-2011, 02:57 AM
i've tried it both in and out... i have a creative xfi...
haha.... thats what i have. any motherboard ive put it in, has reboot issues.:think: i don't know.... but do you happen to have a motherboard laying around for the computer you have to swap? i hate creative.... im gonna get an asus xonar soon..... but, otherwise, i don't know what else to try.

diluzio91
06-03-2011, 03:48 AM
thats my next step, thankfully, i still have that 775 board that i have for sale, and the p4... i jury rigged an amd hsf to the processor and im going to drop the gpu and ect into that board, if the stutter stops i guess i have to rma my mobo...

RogueOpportunist
06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Have you tried any CPU specific tests like prime95? and is your CPU overclocked/overvolted at all? In your shoes I would suspect the CPU and power supply as being the most likely culprits... I would swap the PSU (assuming you have a spare) just to check it as faulty power can do all kinds of weird things to a system.

diluzio91
06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I checked the PSU, Swapped it with a corsair i pulled from the Pawnshop PC, no change, CPU is at stock, I did notice that my video card ram was overclocked slightly in precision, but its the fpb edition, so i think evga did that. I stocked it all though.

blaze15301
06-09-2011, 03:21 AM
Sometimes it is a driver issue. Like the evga precision tool could be interfering with the drivers. Are you getting any sort of error or is it just like a random thing and the computer ignores it? with my ati drivers i get a freeze then black screen normal then 5 mins freeze drivers crash.

diluzio91
06-12-2011, 01:02 AM
well.... excuse me while i wipe the egg off my face, but i got the replacement hdd from western digital the other day, and when i opened my case to swap them out i realized...

While i had unplugged the faulty drive from the motherboard...
i forgot to unplug it from the PSU...

and with that statement, the problem has stopped.... even with the most strenuous things i tried on it... so my best guess is that the bad drive was drawing stupid amounts of wattage because of it's inherent faultyness.... or something like that. Going on 2 days with no skips...

Cale_Hagan
06-12-2011, 08:40 AM
well.... excuse me while i wipe the egg off my face, but i got the replacement hdd from western digital the other day, and when i opened my case to swap them out i realized...

While i had unplugged the faulty drive from the motherboard...
i forgot to unplug it from the PSU...

and with that statement, the problem has stopped.... even with the most strenuous things i tried on it... so my best guess is that the bad drive was drawing stupid amounts of wattage because of it's inherent faultyness.... or something like that. Going on 2 days with no skips...
HaHa, i've done stuff of similar caliber before. :banghead: Glad it's working!

:banana:

billygoat333
06-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Glad you got it working again! lol

diluzio91
06-13-2011, 09:39 PM
RAKsMnAM8vk

i said screw it and ordered an 850 Watt corsair psu... i wish i could have nabbed that $40 one, but it was out of stock. the reason i suspect the PSU is that it gets very warm when the skipping starts. then if i turn the computer off for a while, then turn it back on when the psu is cool to the touch, then it works just fine.

AmEv
06-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Not as bad as flipping an IDE cable.

Very easy to do :oops: (Well, it WAS...)

diluzio91
06-20-2011, 02:45 PM
my computer is completely virus free... I kind of do IT work and know how to find viruses, and that was the first thing i checked... It was a bad hard drive (another one X_X) and i dont know when i'll get around to putting an rma in for it.

Twigsoffury
06-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I was going to say it was a bad cable?

that was my guess.