PDA

View Full Version : Help! - one install, 2 pcs!

onelegout
04-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi all!
I want to play battlefield2 on my new laptop but I dont have the original install disk and I tried to just share the folder and run it straight from the laptop but it wouldn't work. Is there any way that I can share the already installed game through the network on the other pc, or copy the installed game to the laptop and get it to work? Please help! It is talking about missing DLLs when I try! :(
Thanks
H

DaveW
04-25-2006, 04:03 PM
No that probably won't work-you'll need to copy over all the registry information and copy the folder to a folder with the same name on your laptop.

Use run/regedit then find the battlefield 2 info, export it, then load it into your laptop's registry.

Then again i don't have battlefield and this hasn't actually worked on a game since Age of Empires 2. Usually they try to make it a bit more sophisticated and less easy to pirate.

If you're trying to run it from a shared folder on the network you're going to make life murder for yourself. Try what i said above, if that doesn't work, then you're probably screwed-but who knows? I don't know everything, there may be a way.

-Dave

onelegout
04-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Well it's trying to run! but there are Dlls missing. The only one its said about so far (i expect this will be the first of many) is d3dx9.dll, which is a directx 9 file.... i tried updating directx on the lappy but its completely up to date! hmmm....
I also ran a search for that file on the computer which runs bf2 but it couldnt find it anywhere! :S

onelegout
04-25-2006, 04:47 PM
forget it! I'll just install the demo to see if it works, and if it does i'll.....buy the game.....
edit: wooo it does! at 1024x768 with no AA and medium settings :)
hard drive is a little slow though, it jerks a tiny bit sometimes when its under heavy load ever so often

CanaBalistic
04-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Well it's trying to run! but there are Dlls missing. The only one its said about so far (i expect this will be the first of many) is d3dx9.dll, which is a directx 9 file.... i tried updating directx on the lappy but its completely up to date! hmmm....
I also ran a search for that file on the computer which runs bf2 but it couldnt find it anywhere! :S

Your folder options are still set to noob. Open explorer and click on the "tools" menu, then click on "folder options". Once the options box comes up, go to the "view" tab. Now navigate to the folder "hidden files and folders" and select the option "show hidden files and folders". Right under that there is another option "hide extentions for known file types", you might as well turn this off as it helps greatly. There is one more option to diable directly below that "Hide protected operating system files".

After you've done that, go back to the bf2 folder and look for your DLL file as it will have magicly appeared. If it hasnt, refresh the page and it will show up.

Hide extentions for known file types:
This option will allow you to see and change the extention allocation of a file. What this means is that the name of a file will now be fallowed by its extention. For example an executable file named bf2 will now show up as bf2.exe . You can change the file extention by simply renaming the file with the changed extention at the end. A slight draw back for anyone who sets this option is that when renaming a file you might delete the file extention. This will make windows forget how it should open the file and a box will appear stating this and will ask if you'd like to select the appropiate program from a list. Anyone who sets this option should allways remember the extention while renaming a file. (yeah like thats so hard :) )

onelegout
04-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Your folder options are still set to noob. Open explorer and click on the "tools" menu, then click on "folder options". Once the options box comes up, go to the "view" tab. Now navigate to the folder "hidden files and folders" and select the option "show hidden files and folders". Right under that there is another option "hide extentions for known file types", you might as well turn this off as it helps greatly. There is one more option to diable directly below that "Hide protected operating system files".

After you've done that, go back to the bf2 folder and look for your DLL file as it will have magicly appeared. If it hasnt, refresh the page and it will show up.

Hide extentions for known file types:
This option will allow you to see and change the extention allocation of a file. What this means is that the name of a file will now be fallowed by its extention. For example an executable file named bf2 will now show up as bf2.exe . You can change the file extention by simply renaming the file with the changed extention at the end. A slight draw back for anyone who sets this option is that when renaming a file you might delete the file extention. This will make windows forget how it should open the file and a box will appear stating this and will ask if you'd like to select the appropiate program from a list. Anyone who sets this option should allways remember the extention while renaming a file. (yeah like thats so hard :) )
heh, thanks but Ive always had it set up that way :P