PDA

View Full Version : Hummm... interesting leak...

lotech
04-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Well I bought my EXPC X20 system. To be fair, it's pretty impressive what you get for the price... Anyway, have a small problem. Here's a copy of the email I sent them:

Hey!

Recently purchased your complete kit, and i'm really pleased with it, execpt one thing. I have a leak...

Now I have tried just about everything, and i'm starting to get a little fustrated. The leak is coming from the wires that come out of the pump/res! It is circumstancial though. It only leakes when the pump is not running and the cap is on. If the cap to the pump is off, no problems, and if the system is running, again no problems. However, I cannot leave the system off with the cap done up! Not much good!

I'm rather concertain about the fact it is coming from the section with the wires, and the gel stuff that bonds the wires looks a little odd. It doesn't cover the entire section. In case I have lost you, i'm referring to the clear/milky sealent on the pump that holds the wires.

I have tried with different amount of coolant in the system, but to no avail. Filled right up I still get the leak, mostly filled still get a leak and if I leave it so the is some air in the system, again, it leaks. Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated as I cannot really use the computer in its current state. Thanks,

Nat

Hummm... and my first modded PC was going so well :) Anyway, thought you guys may be able to shed some light on it! Thanks,

LoTech

Rankenphile
04-28-2006, 06:12 PM
http://www.rsci.com/uploads/images/18/duct-tape.jpg?

lotech
04-28-2006, 06:15 PM
lol, I like it. However, I do wanna be sure i'm not going to screw anything up, this is my main system and after all and I am a noob to modding :) You really think it's worth just putting in a temp fix?

Rankenphile
04-28-2006, 07:05 PM
no, I was kidding.

archmaille
04-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah, you're probably going to have to either send the unit in or take it apart and tighten the hose near the pump suction end. The reason it wouldn't leak when the pump is on would be because it is pulling from the end that it is leaking and a tiny leak will only reveal itself under pressure. Putting the cap on puts pressure on the whole system and pushes a little bit of fluid from the leaking area.

lotech
04-29-2006, 04:04 AM
Okay, the pressure bit makes complete sense. However, I cannot tighten the leaking bit becuase its coming form the wires, not the tubing. By wires I mean the power wires... I don't think there is any way of tighening that bit, and it appears to be held in with a sealent, which (and I could be completely wrong) looks a little on the shabby side.... Thank!

LoTech

lotech
04-30-2006, 05:22 AM
Right... the email they sent me:

Hi Nat,
It sounds like the pump has not been sealed correctly around the wires.

You can either use a sealant to re-seal the hole or you can the pump to us
for a replacement.

XSPC (UK) Limited
51 Viador
Chester-Le-Street
Co. Durham
DH3 3TW

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards, Paul
XSPC (UK) Limited

So... looks like i'm probably going to do this myself as I don't think I can be bothered to send it off, then wait for the new part. So, any suggestions on a sealant to use?

xmastree
04-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Can we see a picture of the leaking part? I'm sure it would help.

lotech
04-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Aha, a picture, what a cunning idea :) Definitly doesn't look right! (clicky for bigger)

http://www.lotechdesigns.com/host/thumbs/3619leak.gif (http://www.lotechdesigns.com/host/images/3619leak.gif)

CanaBalistic
04-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Here is what i'd do in your situation...

Since the leak seems almost uncontrolable atm, i'd get some non-conductive cooling liquid so you wont fry your mobo. secondly, i'd find some good sealant and goop the crap out of the connector then put some heat shrink tube over that.

Or you can get your lawyer to call up the company and make a complaint for you (this works 99% of the time :) ) they'll probly give you a new part in a heartbeat.

lotech
04-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Well as they said in their email, they would replace the part for me but I gotta send the pump back, which is a bit of an inconvience... The liquid had anti conductant in it already, and, with the cap about 1/3 undone, it doesn't leak as all. So its not too major, but it would be nice to know the cap of the pump is done up all the way!

Guess its down to the hardware store for some sealant to apply liberally.

DaveW
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Peronally, i'd send it back-it shouldn't cost more than the sealant, and this way the job is 'garunteed'. That is if you trust them to fix it.

Plus, they might send you free stuff. Unlikely, but possible.

-Dave

lotech
05-01-2006, 03:42 AM
Hehe, like the idea. I just don't really like the idea of having to drain it all, then wait like a week without the computer... I have lots of deadlines coming up and to be hoest I can deal with it right now. I will have a test soon and tell ya guys what I find. Thanks,

LoTech

xmastree
05-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Tell them that you need the computer, and ask them if they'll send the replacement first.

lotech
05-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Yeah, I did mail 'em back with that kind of reply. It is a genuine request, but y'know, I suppose they can't go sending out random replacements to people. Maybe if I sent 'em that pic. Oh well, i'll wait for their reply.

xmastree
05-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Why not buy another with a credit card on the understanding that they will refund the card on receipt of the leaky one.

lotech
05-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Well as I said, i'll wait for their email...

p9l28a
05-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Hey im new to water cooling and i didnt knew where to post this quastion (sorry LotEch:D) Could i watercool just CPU my cpu : athlon 3200, and motherboard : aus a8n5x, If yes what ya suggest how much it would cost me ;P

Cevinzol
05-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Try this:
ask for an RMA# (Return Mechandise Authorization) for tracking purposes and tell them you would like to cross ship the faulty part.
Give them a Shipping tracking number (from FedEx or UPS) and get one from them. It should only take a few days AND it means you get a new pump and not that faulty one back.