PDA

View Full Version : mosepads

hogan
05-01-2006, 11:11 PM
i was just looking at some mouse pads but i was wondering what you guys are using. i think this is the right thread for it.
thanks

xmastree
05-02-2006, 12:36 AM
I use one of these (http://www.aidata.com.tw/product_3_list.php?CATEGORY_2=1.GEL+MOUSE%2FKEYBOA RD+WRIST+REST), specifically the GL012M lower down that page. I like the gel wrist rest, but the plastic isn't so tough. Dropped it once on the tiled floor and it broke. It's still useable though.

The Modfather
05-02-2006, 01:46 AM
I use an X-Ray pad...

http://www.x-raypad.com

xmastree
05-02-2006, 02:01 AM
The owner of the local computer shop was using one of these (http://www.a4tech.com/en/product1.asp?CID=90&SCID=92). Looks like a neat idea. The mouse is cordless, the the mousepad has a USB connection. I didn't get chance to ask about it so I had a look online.

The Modfather
05-02-2006, 07:23 AM
It looks rather iffy to me, I get concerned when I see a product on a website and its creators can't even speak English properly when describing it. Also doesn't say much about its technical specs. Plus I get the idea you'd have to have it always in contact with the pad, which would be annoying. And if you don't like the feel of its "pad" you're out of luck.

I also like some weight to my mouse, that thing claims to be "ultra light weight" which is a negative factor to me.

Rankenphile
05-02-2006, 01:08 PM
I love the Fatl1ty FatPad (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/6b43/). It is huge - 14"x17". very thin, and has a great surface to it.

Omega
05-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Thermaltake Gamma pad.

It's got 7 different colors, LED light, little button. Good surface, no reading errors (Logitech MX700 wireless Optical mouse), however the coaster on my mouse will catch on the edge of the mousing surface and it could be larger.

hogan
05-03-2006, 02:16 AM
i like that Fatality one. wow you guys respond fast!

The Modfather
05-03-2006, 03:43 AM
Damn that kid, he's got his blasted name slapped all over all kinds of hardware just because he's good at a few video games. Yeesh! We build custom computers and get nothing named after us, he pushes buttons fast and plays games and he's famous. How's that fair?

Rankenphile
05-03-2006, 11:29 AM
He's not just good at games, he's really really really good at games. At E3 last year I sat for an hour watching him play people in UT. It was a running contest - if you could beat him, you won a personally built computer, worth around $10k. If you could kill him once you won a really nice video card. They had a bunch of other prizes too, for killing him more than once and all that.

While I watched, nobody won a single thing. Wasn't even close. The entire three days of E3? One guy won the video card. For killing him one time. That was the best anyone at E3 could do against him.

Plus, he's got a good agent. He's the first marketable celebrity in gaming, which is something all of the gaming industry wants to use to legitimize as an acceptable past time - break it out of the geek culture stereotype.

DaveW
05-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Rankenphile has some great points there-a lot of hardware companies see his endorsement of their products as an important marketing feature, and you're quite right-he has a good agent :)

Apparently he's made tons of money but is too busy practicing to spend any of it.

-Dave

The Modfather
05-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah yeah yeah, big deal. :) I was in the Guiness book for playing Space Invaders back in the 80's, I didn't get my name on any hardware. :( All I got was a lot of lost sleep. :)

I'm fairly sure I could not only kill him in UT, I could possibly beat him occasionally. I'm very good at UT.

Not a brag, I just can't imagine there being a person that I couldn't nail in that game, it seems a bit unlikely to say the least. Nobody is THAT good. Unless he's using a hack of some sort, which I can't imagine happening in a tournament but it could I suppose.

Rankenphile
05-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Basically, if you don't shut him down in the first thirty seconds, he'll own you completely. He has a way of completely running a map, controlling the respawn of the weapons and such and has perfectly timed circuits of all spawns. It's really crazy to watch. There were some hardcore players there, too, that just couldn't even come close. Once he takes you out the first couple times, he's so far overpowering you you don't really have a chance. It's fun to watch, in a way, but after a while you just feel sorry for the competition.

The Modfather
05-05-2006, 01:30 AM
I can take 'em, seriously, I'm fairly sure if it. Probably not every time but at least once in a while. A lot of it depends on the map being played of course and the mutators. My best would be Low-Grav, Quad-Jump, Instagib, CTF or ONS.

Cevinzol
05-05-2006, 02:00 AM
I can take 'em, seriously, I'm fairly sure if it.
Geez who cares.
Just unzip, we'll measure and we can get on with things.

The question was mouse pads.
The answer is. it depends on the mouse. If you're using a wheeled mouse you want a surface with traction. keep it clean and lint/fuzzies/dog hair free and it will work great. I've had the same pad for 15 years and it works just fine. its a cheap neoprene pad with fabric top. just keep the rollers in the mouse clean. If you have an optical mouse texture is good for tracking resolution avoid highly polished surfaces.

And don't get sucked in by the marketing hype - its just a mousepad.

The Modfather
05-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Cevinzol... We'd addressed the mousepad issue and were just chatting, is that alright with you? Yeesh!

And no, some mousepads DO improve traction, speed and accuracy, if you don't notice a difference it's because you've not had the chance to try several dozen different kinds to tell, I have and there IS a difference.

nil8
05-05-2006, 08:37 AM
FrozenCPU special edition ratpadzGS.

It's a hard surface designed for extended use(skin rubbing off) for optical mice. I haven't had a single problem with it. Slick, quick, and very cool.

http://www.ratpadz.com/

skulla
05-05-2006, 09:13 AM
here (http://www.chestrest.com) are some good "ergonomic" mouse pads.

im using one from http://www.func.net/.

Cevinzol
05-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Now THOSE are mouse pads :)

The Modfather
05-06-2006, 04:04 AM
There were mousepads there? :)

xmastree
05-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Which is your favourite? I'd go for Azumi. I'm not keen on blondes (though she is cute) the pink one's head is too small, and the other looks like her head is on wrong...
And Black & Blue would match my mod...

The Modfather
05-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Who cares what color your mod is man! :) Pick the one that'll distract you the least in a heavy combat situation, otherwise you'll hear "N00B!" chants in every game you play. :)

xmastree
05-06-2006, 08:05 AM
I don't play games, so the one that matches the mod would be more appropriate.
For combat situations, I have a laser sighted .45 in my cupboard...

The Modfather
05-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Hmmm, yeah but a pistol is no good against a BFG5000 dude. :)

Well then go with what matches your mod, or build your own mousepad. Seriously, you can get all the materials you need for it at a hardware store and/or craft store.

Rankenphile
05-07-2006, 01:12 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

*breath*

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's got to be the most brilliant ergonomic design I've ever seen.

Guttenaffe
05-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Mouse pad? People use mouse pads??

I seem to do fairly well playing Americas Army without a mouse pad. When there aren't any cheaters (IE right after a major punk buster update) I can play for hours and rack up 150kills and maybe 2 deaths. When cheaters are online I normally still go 2kills/death. Depends on how many cheaters on a server and how good my teammates are. I have a 2.6 over all frag rate, including fighting against hacks with normal human skill. I'm about as good with any other game I just don't like them run & gun games like UT, except an instagib match or two. I'd play that fatality or what ever in AA any day without a mouse pad :P

I say don't waste your money on a mouse pad. I use an extremely modded MS Intellimouse optical. I used these optical mice since ~1999. It is the MS mouse with 5 buttons. I paid $50 for my 1st one and $23 for the last/current one 3 years ago. They run ~$20.00 now (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=200401) on zipzoomfly.
I have a Logitech MX510 mouse and test used many other MXxxx mice. I found them all a POS compared to my intellimouse. I have 4 intellimice and all of them work equally well, just my modded one lets me shoot faster with my hardware hacks. I added a switch to let me fire 2 round burst with one button press fast as the sensor could pick it up. I love optical isolators.

I use the standard glides that come with the mouse as well, as said above works for me.

xmastree
05-07-2006, 04:01 AM
Hmmm, yeah but a pistol is no good against a BFG5000 dude. :)Pah! I spit at your BFG, I've been shot with those before, you just spring back to life again.
If you were shot with my .45 you'd stay dead. :D

The Modfather
05-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Oh, I dunno about that xmas. I've been shot with a 9mm and I came back. Ok, yeah, it was in the leg, but still. :)

Guttenaffe, you're using a very old, low resolution mouse there, even still you might notice the difference with a good mousepad. We're not talking about those rubbery types of mousepads here, these are mousepads specifically for optical and laser mice. Depending on what kind of surface you have to work on, they can be a very important thing or they can be sort of pointless. It's got to do with several factors. One being traction or smoothness (your preference), the other being tracking (an optical mouse won't track well on certain surfaces, espescially glass or highly reflective surfaces) among other things, there are still reasons to use mousepads.

But like I said, you can make your own.

Guttenaffe
05-07-2006, 07:27 PM
That MS mouse has:
Sampling Rate: upto 9000 frames/second
Tracking: 400 trackable points/inch
Tracking Speed: 20 inches per second

I've used a MX518 and own a MX510 and none of them feel right to me, I hate the lopsided feel that bugs my wrist when I use it.

The only other mouse I've ever used and liked is the Razor Copperhead, it is overpriced for me to buy one. Even though I have a $180 Deck Legond keyboard, tempting to buy one though just can't see the point and I doubt it'll make that much differance. I might buy one in a month or two though...

As I said I don't see the any advantage to a mouse pad over something that gives good contrast for the optical sensor to pickup pixels on. I use an 11000mcd green LED on a red & dark brown desk which works REAL well.

The Modfather
05-08-2006, 04:47 AM
I had a Razer, didn't like it, too lightweight and the whole ambidexterous design looks good on paper but is annoying in person. I use a Logitech G7 with an MX1000 for backup. I have several other mice, including the Microsoft you have, the whole MX line from Logitech and so forth. I used to use the MS mouse back when it was new, but it's much too slow and imprecise now by comparison. I had a chance to get a Razer Copperhead, I passed on it after the experience I had with the other one. The concepts they have are good but they're just not for me. I prefer a heavier mouse for one thing.

Guttenaffe
05-08-2006, 03:43 PM
I had a Razer, didn't like it, too lightweight and the whole ambidexterous design looks good on paper but is annoying in person. I use a Logitech G7 with an MX1000 for backup. I have several other mice, including the Microsoft you have, the whole MX line from Logitech and so forth. I used to use the MS mouse back when it was new, but it's much too slow and imprecise now by comparison. I had a chance to get a Razer Copperhead, I passed on it after the experience I had with the other one. The concepts they have are good but they're just not for me. I prefer a heavier mouse for one thing.

I hate keeping this off topic, but the copperhead has an add-on weight kit. Think it's another $15 (which is annoying when Logitech includes them for free)

Reason I like the MS mouse is I use my hand to add friction for higher precision. The copperhead allowed me to do this as well, which is why I liked it too. I got used to doing this when I used a ball mouse back in the 90's. Actually I was geeky enough back then to add better IR sensors (more narrow and sensitive) and then split the spokes of the wheel in order to increase performance. To sort of bring this post into topic, I can see the point of a mouse pad for a ball mouse because it's needed to keep crap from going inside the mouse housing.

The Modfather
05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
I never could get used to trackballs. I take it you've got smaller hands then? That might be why you prefer those mice. I have really large hands and while I liked the MS mouse for its time, the Logitech mice have been better lately. Espescially the MX and G series. And yeah, the Logitech G5 has the weight kit, the G7 doesn't really need it, it's a cordless rechargable mouse and has enough weight without them. I never had a Copperhead, I can only talk about the Diamondback Plasma LTD. I would up modding that to use with my Necronomicase project and used Polymer Clay,which has given it some weight but doesn't help with the side button problems (not keen on the positioning).

As for going off topic, I never worry about that. Topics go in strange directions, you can't talk about mousepads forever so the topic will mutate, nothing wrong with that.

fiendskull9
05-31-2006, 02:53 AM
sorry to take this off topic again,

but UT isnt really one of wendels big games, his main one is Q3

its what he is huge for, i think like in quakecon 01' thru 04' or something, he was undefeated by everyone that dared face him in q3a.

on google video (and maybe youtube) there is alot of videos of his sessions, and they are CRAZY.

-clay