PDA

View Full Version : Case Graphics - Query

Thallion
05-03-2006, 08:09 AM
I want to incorporate some graphics that I would be printing into my future case mod. (still in planning stages)

So I have been researching method for transfering a digital image into something on the side of my case.... I want some opinions if anyone has them on:

Vinyl Printer Paper - You print onto this paper and then it is a vinyl you peel and stick .

Waterslide paper - you print onto this paper and then you waterslide the design off onto your project (mostly used in model making, EX:aircraft model decals)

Both of the above can be found at.. http://www.papilio.com/

Other - other ways I haven't found yet.

Opinions , experiene with them, etc. would be helpful.. Thanks in advance.

DaveW
05-03-2006, 11:36 AM
I'd go for the vinyl myself. Although i havn't got any experience with them.

You could always airbrush them.

-Dave

Rankenphile
05-03-2006, 11:42 AM
One thing to keep in mind with waterslide paper is that if you go with the transparent type, there will be no "white", and the print will be semi-transparent, so the background color will act as the whitepoint for your colors and cause shifting - if you were to apply it to a blue case, the yellows will appear greenish, the reds will turn purple, and the blues may well disappear. I would also recommend using a laser color printer for this, if you can find one you can use (many retail print shops wouldn't let you use your own stock for their machines if it is a specialty stock like this, as there is a good chance that it can do serious damage to the machine).

As far as vinyl paper, I don't know of many that you can use yourself that give good results. I'm not a fan of inkjet printers when it comes to applications like this, as they are anything but permanent. I would recommend talking to your local sign shop or printer to find a good solution that might work, if you are looking to use your own graphics for this. There are a number of places online you can find that can do this. They frequently market the service under the term "Case Wraps" or something similar. I like MAME Marquees (http://www.mamemarquees.com/side-art-c-23.html) as their prices are good, although they are not specifically for computer cases, but their product and prices are very reasonable.

skulla
05-03-2006, 12:23 PM
i'm a designer at a sign manufacturing company and we do alot with digital graphics printed on vinyl. we outsource our digital prints (logos, billboards, etc.) to www.infinitegraphics.com (http://www.infinitegraphics.com). one thing to consider if you go this route is translucent or opaque vinyl. if you are going to apply it to aluminum i would go with the opaque. it might look cool to use translucent vinyl and backlight your graphics too. hope that helps

The Modfather
05-04-2006, 01:44 AM
There's nothing wrong with using the vinyl so long as after you apply it you clearcoat it. That will prevent the print from fading or rubbing off and so forth. It works just fine, I've used it. Although nothing beats the look of a nice airbrush paintjob.

sonyjoey161
05-04-2006, 04:22 AM
hay guys i have 100 watt laser
max print size 48" x 72"

Cutting & Marking or Engraving:
Fabric & Leather
Paper & Cardboard
Plastic (sheet, film & molded)
Rubber (natural, synthetic & foam)
Wood send any pic's
or CAD files to my
email with the size of
your case in inches
and what Materials you like
and ring you up a cost
ex(my case cost me $40 in plexiglass
and $2 an gas) send it to sonyjoey161@sbcglobal.net
put in zip for shiping

tech-4-less
to get more tech 4 less

Thallion
05-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. The only thing that made me leary of trying the local sign shop/printer shop was the legality of printing the image. Sure I will be doing all the graphic manipulation to composite all the source images, BUT the source images certainly aren't mine. Though I would certainly say they are in the public domain, and cerainly they are for my own personal use, so technically I donot think I am breaking any copywrite laws, but I know print shops can be pretty sticklers for this kind of thing. Even if you are making but one print.

The basic idea was a Jedi based case but the sabers would actually be either (hadn't decided yet) el wire or cut outs with flourescents behind them.

Those would be the side panels, then the front/top would be covered in either a death star surface like treatment, or maybe simply a light saber hilt mounted on the front. All the openings(air/cd/etc) in the sides and front would be stealthed as much as possible.

So you see it would be pretty obvious when i go to get the images printed that they are not mine.

The Modfather
05-07-2006, 07:58 AM
If it's for your own use, there's no legal problems with you doing that at all. You can print out whatever you want and slap it on your case.

Something else to look into, there are places that print case skins, they're designed specifically for things like this. Do a google search for case skins, you'll find several, some of them might even have pre-made skins that fit your needs but most of them will do custom skins.

Thallion
05-14-2006, 09:51 AM
looks like the commercially available case skins are simply adhesive backed vinyl. So Its probably cheaper if I look for a sign shop that can do me one in the size I need. or heck maybe Ill just try the vinyl do it yourself kit...... :)

Rankenphile
05-14-2006, 11:55 PM
As far as legality goes, the reason print shops are wary of printing graphics with copyrighted imagery is that they are charging for printing of someone else's art without the artist receiving due compensation. I worked in a retail print shop for many years, and this came up a lot, frequently with people stmoping out. For the most part, it was for making copies of professional portraits - they make their money on reprints, and copy shops and such take a big bite out of their revenue stream. For something like this you should have no problem. If they do give you a hard time about it, explain what it is used for, and "forget" to mention that pictures of it will appear on the internet. This is personal use, and is just fine.

The Modfather
05-15-2006, 03:26 AM
You're going to find that to print it yourself is going to be at least as expensive if not more expensive than having it done by a place that specializes in it. And you're not limited to the designs they offer, most of them will do custom designs for you.

I was checking on vinyl adhesive paper for inkjet printers just tonight, apparantly such an item, if it exists, is very very hard to come by and amazingly expensive. I found ONE place that had a ROLL of it for Epson printers, $995.00 for the roll. EEKS! I checked EBay, they either have only the matte bumper sticker type paper (bufugly) or vinyl that isn't adhesive or clear stuff which won't do the trick.

If anyone knows of a source for glossy or at least semi-gloss vinyl paper adhesive paper for inkjet printers, please, pass the source along. I need it for my own project and I don't need a full case wrap, just a few items printed for use in the project so just a pack of paper would do fine. Anyone?

CanaBalistic
05-15-2006, 08:57 PM
I dont know about vinyl sheets for a printer but my mom works at some vinyl company making skins for cars and buses aswell as other things. Next time i talk to her ill get the company's website. I believe they'll do small jobs like a computer but i dont know about prices.

The Modfather
05-16-2006, 04:49 AM
I only need 3 small stickers, not even a full case, just two side panel sections (not full side panels, just a strip for the top and bottom of one side, so basically two large bumper sticker sized ones) and a small one for the ring on top of the case with the ECW logo, about 4".

Which is why I figured I could print it here if I could find the darned stuff, I have a wide carriage printer, so 11x17" vinyl sticker paper (glossy) would be perfect. Unfortunatly all I can find is the matte stuff and it looks crappy.

CanaBalistic
05-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Is there a female orientated crafts store in your area? Thats where i would look first. If they dont have it, chat up the attendant and she'll know where you can get craft supplies like that.

Female orientated because chicks love stickers... lol You'll probly get exactly what you need at the first store.

Omega
05-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Is there a female orientated crafts store in your area? Thats where i would look first. If they dont have it, chat up the attendant and she'll know where you can get craft supplies like that.

Female orientated because chicks love stickers... lol You'll probly get exactly what you need at the first store.

Well, gee, that's f**kin' sexist.

Personally, i can see why that might be a common sterotype, but ffs, don't support sterotypes. It's wrong.

On topic: It shouldn't cost too much to get vinyls made at sign shops, i don't think.

Cevinzol
05-17-2006, 02:06 AM
I've seen 2 cars in town here covered completely in vinyl skin to advertize their company. One was a VW bug made out like a giant hamburger to advertise a bar, the other was a van made to look like a vegetable stand for a company that sold organic produce.

Seems to me that sign makers already have the machines and know how. It would be easier to work with them than try to re-discover the wheel.

The Modfather
05-18-2006, 06:46 AM
I've actually had a wrap on my Tahoe, I wish I could get those guys to print something up for me. :)

I've hit Michael's, AC Moore and Pearl, all of those are craft stores, don't know if you'd call 'em female oriented but they're big chain craft stores and I shop at 'em often. :) They don't have anything unfortunately, pre-printed stickers sure, but nothing I can print on myself.

Best I could ever find was crappy matte finish sticker paper, they call it bumper sticker paper but it'd never do for that, one good rainfall and it'd fall apart.

Ichbin
05-19-2006, 12:07 PM
I work at a Vinyl Grapics shop. www.graphics-depot.us.

Vinyl lasts a long time, easy to apply with relatively no problems afterwards.

If you want anymore information on vinyl graphicsa or something, shoot me an email. ichbin@elitelangamer.net

The Modfather
05-21-2006, 08:36 AM
I was able to find some 8.5x11" vinyl glossy paper, I'm gonna give it a try and see if it's any good. Probably won't be but it can't hurt to try. Waiting for it to arrive (Ebay). :)

Ichbin
05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
You have to watch out though, Most standard inks dont stick to well to vinyl.

Solvent inks are the way to go.

The Modfather
05-27-2006, 07:57 AM
It works, actually works perfectly. Got it from an eBay merchant who didn't actually have it for sale in their eBay store, but I asked about it and they had it and I ordered 20 sheets, worked out perfectly. I've been printing out stuff on it for a few days now, cutting it carefully with a razor blade and using it on various things and so far, no drips, no smudges, no nothin' and the color and detail is just as good as the quality Epson glossy paper.

Here's a link to the seller's ebay store. Like I said, the glossy vinyl paper isn't listed but send them a message. Tell 'em "02smoke14" refered you.

http://stores.ebay.com/MAMMY-MAGNETS-and-MORE_Craft-and-Printing-Supplies_W0QQamp;dirZ1QQcolZ4QQsclZ0QQtZkm

Thallion
05-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Well you gotta give us some pics then you big tease!

PS did you get the same stuff they say is for 'make your own bumper stickers'?

If anyone is concerned about the inks rubbing off, simply sealing it with an overspray should suffice, that is what the vinyl bumper sticker paper says to do to make it waterproof.

The Modfather
05-28-2006, 07:11 AM
No, I think that stuff is a matte finish. Pics? Well, wait until tomorrow, I have to get the pics off the camera and all that. You can see 'em on my site tomorrow but I'll try to remember to post 'em here too.