PDA

View Full Version : Bill gates has crossed my line in the sand

Cevinzol
05-05-2006, 06:12 AM
I have Win XP
I have automatic updates set to "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them."
recently the little icon poped up in my systray telling me the evil empire had found another new piece of fatware it had to install.

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
Size: 0.8 MB

The Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool notifies you if your copy of Windows is not genuine. If your system is found to be a non-genuine, the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of Windows.

More information for this update can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39157

Hmm... this smells like BIG BROTHER. so I went to the article. I loved the picture of the happy woman cradling her laptop. It looked like she was nusing it! truely disturbing! I guess it was supposed to make me feel all warm and cozy - MS is my mother (shudder).

The content was all fluff.
Does it matter if your copy of Windows is genuine? Yes, if you want the confidence of knowing that your software is legitimate and fully supported. And only genuine Windows customers can receive product downloads, Windows updates and special offers.

Ok.
So let me get this straight.
- I just recieved an update thats going to check to see if I can get updates.
- Doesn't that fact that I could get this update in the first place indicate I DON"T NEED THIS UPDATE!

I paid for this copy of the O/S, registered it so I could get updates to plug all the code-holes they have and now years later I have to install some piece of spyware thats going to re-confirm what's already in their records!

Is this a friendly little rootkit from Bill or is it their way of saying "oops our database crashed and we didn't make a backup, can you please re-send us your info?".

I don't want to install this update. I tried to uncheck it and cancel the instalation but the next time I rebooted it was back. I went looking on some of the sites expecting to find major articles about this update. I expected to find articles condeming this as an "invasion of privacy" or an "Orwellian nightmare" or some other headline grabbing title. Instead I found a bunch of MS ass kissers so far up Bill's butt they were licking his uvula! The major justification for them was "If you're not guilty of piracy, you have nothing to worry about"

OMG! If this was the real world Bill would be kicking people's doors down. Where's due proccess? Where's the assumption of inocent until proven guilty? I live in the US and Microsoft is a US company so these things should apply!

My main beef is this:
I have a legal copy of this O/S. I don't mind having the update app run a background check on me. I just do not want 800k of drive space taken up! and I certainly don't want an app (WGAtray.exe) constantly running on my system!

That's MY RAM, MY CPU CYCLES and you can't have em! It'll slow down my games damn it!

Edit: I've found an article on how to get rid of this crapplet. However I'm still not going to run the update until I've worked up a real good mad and called my old co-workers over at MS Tech Support and read them a few chapters from Keep-you're-nose-out-of-my-computer!

DaveW
05-05-2006, 06:57 AM
The thing i really disagree with is the fact they won't tell you exactly what the update is or what it does. I won't go near it with a fresh install of any ligit software, simply because i study programming and know that microsoft's software engineers are mostly c hackers.

My lecturer has a funny story where he looked at the source for (i think it was office?) when they hired him to re-educate their developers. The only comment in the whole program was "This is the tricky part." Useful...

-Dave

nil8
05-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Then move to linux, have a windows box for gaming and nothing else.

DaveW
05-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I am.

Hahaha! :D :D :D Openoffice here I come! (Yes, i do know about the windows distro before you say it)

There was a thing in the newspaper today about Bill Gates; basically theme was "It's so difficult being one of the richest guys in the world, it makes you incredibly unhappy..."

After the reported walked out i bet he needed a bucket of ice to stop himself from laughing.

What brand of linux would you recommend? I'm probably going to run Red Hat but i have a Gnome disc too.

-Dave

Rankenphile
05-05-2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.lambiek.net/artists/c/couchey_sid/couchey_cover1.jpg

Poor little rich boy...

DaveW
05-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Rankenphile, where do you get this stuff? :D

-Dave

Rankenphile
05-05-2006, 05:14 PM
http://rankenphile.com/images/googlemother****er.jpg

xmastree
05-06-2006, 08:30 AM
What brand of linux would you recommend? I'm probably going to run Red Hat but i have a Gnome disc too.
ubuntu (www.ubuntulinux.com)
As for Gnome, that's a desktop environment, not a distro. That's one of the two main ones, the other being KDE. There are others but those are the two main players.
The best thing about ubuntu is the forums (http://ubuntuforums.org) where all your questions can be (and probably already have been) answered.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2499&highlight=linux

Try the live CD first.

DaveW
05-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Whoops, i lied, it's SuZE i've got here. SuZE and Red Hat.

I've probably got other distros on magazine CD's too but Red Hat's up first because i have a book about Red Hat.

I took a course last year called C programming under Linux which i almost flunked through not revising. But i know my way around Debian and i know a bit about C compiling and shell scripting because of it. I need a Linux distro as Windows isn't an option in next year's class and i've got a large project to do...need all the practice with C i can get.

-Dave

Omega
05-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Slackware 10.2, or Ubuntu.

nil8
05-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Personally, I've found Caldera, Debian, and SuSe to do everything I've ever needed in linux platforms.

If you have experience with linux, consider slackware.

If you've had experience with debian before, it would be a good place to start.

onelegout
05-08-2006, 09:53 AM
It's interesting that you suggest that they lost all the info in their databases, because when I needed to 'activate' my 'legitimate' (;)) copy of windows recently, their automated phone service wasnt working, and when i asked the support woman on the phone, she said that they were having issues with their activation databases but it would be resolved soon. She also gave me the activation code after what microsoft call 'several questions to ensure that your copy of windows is genuine'........ she asked, 'Is your copy genuine?' I replied 'yes.' she asked, 'has it been installed on many other computers?' I replied, 'no.'

Then she gave me the activation code :D
Microsoft activation is an absolute joke.
[/rant]

Im just this second downloading ubuntu for my new lappy :)
Peace
H

nil8
05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
MS licensing is a bigger joke when you get into the volume license work.
"As a business, we promise not to let anyone else have this"
That definitely does not work.