PDA

View Full Version : What mobo?! I'm stuck, reviews put me off of all of them!

Synth3tikMessiah
05-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Alright, So i've decided to go with the following line up for the new compy, now i need your help.

AMD 64 FX-60 dual core...etc etc.
1 X Nvidia 7900GTX 512mb (will get a second one later if i need it)
Raid setup (3 HD's)
And i need 2gb ram but because i don't know what MOBO to go for, i don't know which ram to get either...

Alright guys, so what mobo do i need? and what ram do i get for it?!

Thanks again.

Synth3tikMessiah
05-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Alright, well i think i've decided to go with the DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR

But that means i use the x1900xtx instead (i honestly don't care they are both incredible)

But the memory issue still remains. I'm worried about compatability

Omega
05-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Let me know if the mobo supports DDR or DDR2, and i will find the best RAM for ya =]

Synth3tikMessiah
05-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Let me know if the mobo supports DDR or DDR2, and i will find the best RAM for ya =]
It supports:
# Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
# Supports dual channel (128-bit wide) memory interface
# Supports up to 4GB system memory
# Supports PC2100 (DDR266), PC2700 (DDR333) and PC3200 (DDR400) DDR SDRAM DIMM

So what i was planning on getting was 2 sets of :
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
$138.00 each set...

For a total of 4gb of memory

Let me know what you think:D :D :D Thanks a lot!

bartvandenberg
05-06-2006, 11:59 PM
that corsair ram does kick a$$, and it overclocks very well. ocz platinum is also another good choice..

to get 4gb would be sweet, but.. you have to look into the actual benefits of it. there are no games or programs that would even use that amount. (at least not to my knowledge) but.. i guess with that proposed setup, who cares. no sense in going half way with the ram, when you go all the way with the rest. :D:D:D

Synth3tikMessiah
05-07-2006, 02:46 AM
My point exactly...i am already going all out with everything...might as well go for the extra ram too...only an extra $100.

But now is my next problem...I need a CASE with a side panel window view thing (never knew what they were called exactly) With really great airflow/cooling...and i don't think i can get a watercooled system just yet..Lol.

Any ideas?

Liang Li or Silvertone is nice, but nothing in a decent price range that has a window.

Cevinzol
05-07-2006, 04:02 AM
I need a CASE with a side panel window view thing
lol this is a modding board. You should be able to guess that our answer will be... MAKE your own window :)

BTW why a 3 HDD RAID? What Config were you planning?
JBOD or 1 boot & 2 RAID 0 for speed?

nil8
05-07-2006, 04:13 AM
You might consider crucial memory instead. Best warranty of any ram I've ever dealt with.

What kind of price range are you looking for? Full tower? Midtower?

Synth3tikMessiah
05-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Alright i bought everything but the case now and i made some minor changes here and there... here is the set up (and i can't make my own because i don't even know how to start and i'm scared to hell of messing it up!)

Proc.: AMD A64 X2 4800+
GPU: ATI X1900XT
PSU: Silverstone Zeus 650W (teehee, it makes me happy)
RAM: Corsair 4X 1GB Twinx ddr 400 pc3200
MOBO: DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR ATI crossfire
HDD: 2x seagate 160GB...blah

I think i got everything, But now i need a case...i'd like water cooling but i don't even know where to start...i looked over tutorials and stuff and its confusing me to all hell, i've been staring at this crap forever now and for this one thing i'd like somone to kind of do the work for me and tell me what to get. PLEASE.

So Yea... water cooled case no higher than like $350-$400 i guess?

Or at the very list, point me to a good case with nice cooling capabilities and tell me the best fans / air cooling i can get for everything in the compy. I don't care how much sound it will make, i'd trade noise/comfort level over performance any day. But quieter is better of course.

Thanks agaiiinnnnn hopefully i'll finally finish this damn setup.

**** Since this thread is no longer about anything even resembling a MOBO i think it should end here and pick up somewhere else more appropriate.

nil8
05-08-2006, 12:29 AM
www.newegg.com

Get a case. They have pictures and lots of reviews.