PDA

View Full Version : Laptop randomly shutting off

AmEv
10-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm not 100% sure why, but my Toshiba is shutting off on its own.
Mainly occurs when Flash is running.

It's not a soft-down; it's instant.

Pretty sure it's not my power being remove (although I need to send my battery in; no longer holding a full charge :(). I witnessed 3 lights, no lights, 1 light, 2 lights.

What would be causing it? I've been thinking something to do with "cpu shutoff on thermal extreme", but it doesn't feel all that hot.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Drum Thumper
10-08-2011, 07:57 PM
It's overheating. Mine did the same, then I tore it apart and blew all the dust out.

AmEv
10-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I dusted mine out, and it's still OHing.

Need to redo the HS?

diluzio91
10-10-2011, 10:44 AM
yeah, replace any spring clips with screws and washers.

Aldersan
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I've heard of people getting ~10C drop in temps on their laptops by simply removing any old thermal paste and using some decent stuff like AS5 or whatnot. I'd imagine its a rare case for that large of a drop, but it couldn't hurt.

Snowman
10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I've heard of people getting ~10C drop in temps on their laptops by simply removing any old thermal paste and using some decent stuff like AS5 or whatnot. I'd imagine its a rare case for that large of a drop, but it couldn't hurt.

My dell actually dropped a bit more than that, my eeepc could use it but I don't know if I want to take it apart to do it.

AmEv
10-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately, the clamping system is super-cheap with 2 screw holes TOTAL.

I'll get back to you later after I recover from an HDD crash.

Just visit here (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=satellite+a105-s2231&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1067l11961l0l12330l24l18l2l3l3l1l668l7072l2-5.6.4.3l23l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1360&bih=629&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi) to see what Google has to offer.

*If my cooling situation works out, and when I get more cash, I may get one of these (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22socket+m+processor&tbm=shop&hl=en&aq=f&safe=active#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=active&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=%22socket+m+processor%22&pbx=1&oq=%22socket+m+processor%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1268l1268l0l1525l1l1l0l0l0l0l159l159l0.1l1l 0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d1a53ef703c051eb&biw=1024&bih=655) as an upgrade.

**Before anything, I MAY need to lap; again, pix later. Procy is smooth as a baby's bottom, with exposed die.

Snowman
10-11-2011, 08:47 AM
you put the same link in for both links sir.

AmEv
10-11-2011, 10:08 AM
(ninjaedit)Whatcha talkin' 'bout?

Snowman
10-11-2011, 10:10 AM
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg9/redbullfj/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

AmEv
11-01-2011, 10:38 AM
In all seriousness, what should I get as far as the processor goes?

Although, anyone have any idea where a compatibility list is????

Snowman
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
compatibility list for a laptop.... foget about it.

AmEv
11-01-2011, 10:42 AM
So, get the processor; if it doesn't work, hopefully return, or eBay?

Snowman
11-01-2011, 12:10 PM
So, get the processor; if it doesn't work, hopefully return, or eBay?

tried long ago after getting one of the best laptops on the market to see what i could do to improve it and found out very quickly that there pretty much was nothing I could do except a graphics card upgrade. Find a processor that is the same as yours with maybe better clockspeeds if you want to upgrade but you have to make sure it will match the motherboard. There is a reason most people don't scratch build laptops, its not economical and most times isn't feasible. As car as your heat concerns a good cleaning and replacing of thermal paste and maybe a new heatsink from the manufacturer may be the best you can do.

AmEv
11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I have read reviews, saying that they had Core (2?) Duos in my family of laptops.

May not provide a HUGE improvement, but, once I have spare cash, I'm willing to try.

Outlaw
11-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Please correct if wrong but I didn't see an actual model listed, just the manufacturer.

For my DV6000, I was able to look up the spec list, it gave all the processors used in that model line. If it isn't already the top of the line for that model, you could probably get whatever is (assuming they didn't switch between amd and intel) with a larger chance of success.

I like intels spec sheet of their processors. If it is an intel proc, just do a google search of it and find the ark.intel.com... link, it will tell you the socket type, cores, threads and most importantly thermal rating plus some other specs you may or may not find useful. I would do this for the current and new processor to make sure they work together.

If you are already having heat issues, I would be concerned about a higher performing processor possibly having a higher thermal rating. If it doesn't, you should be OK if everything else lines up. You may also have to do a bios update (if not already current) for it to work to spec.

I think some of the Toshibas were effected with a few models including the one I'm working on now in another thread (that you've helped on, thank you btw lol). In some cases a small shim is used which helps apply a solid pressure over a thermal pad that was used. I am not sure if this is your case but may be something to look into just in case.

Good Luck,
Outlaw

AmEv
11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
It's a Celeron M 420.

here
Google lead me here (http://ark.intel.com/products/27149/Intel-Celeron-M-Processor-420-%281M-Cache-1_60-GHz-533-MHz-FSB%29). This lead me two three options for the chipsets it supports. However, one of them was a no-go, because on Toshiba site, it says that the max supported RAM was 4GB. Another a no-go, because I have an S-Video Out. That leaves one here (http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/22816).

Big procy compatibility list! Woot! +rep for you, you Outlaw!
*Ehhh, I've given you too much appparently.....

Outlaw
11-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks. glad to help!

But I think something doesn't look right. That last here for Intels site points to a chipset, not a cpu. What is the model of the laptop? I couldn't see why there isn't a couple processors compatible with your laptop, it would just be finding the one you want to spend money on.

Outlaw

AmEv
11-04-2011, 04:35 PM
It points to my chipset.

On the left is a button that says "compatible products", AKA, CPUs.

Lazy man's button (http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/22816#compatibility)

Well, the one I would like (but realistically/logically impossible) is this one (http://ark.intel.com/products/27257/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T7600-%284M-Cache-2_33-GHz-667-MHz-FSB%29). Way out of current budget.

Ah well, now I have links.

Outlaw
11-05-2011, 12:47 PM
If you did get that cpu, I would watch out for the thermal rating. Your CPU is 27W, that one is 34W.

How is the heatpipe routed in your latptop? Does it come from the CPU across the CHP then to the fan, or is there 2 separate pipes? I only ask to see if it could even handle the extra heat or maybe the heat issue is similar to the HP models from years ago.

Why not lower the CPU to get? Any dual core is going to be quite a bit faster and may save you a bunch of money.

Good Luck,
Outlaw

jonydec
05-04-2012, 04:46 AM
I don't mean it being clear all the time, but rather providing a energy increase of type, leading to the pc concluding down as a failsafe to avoid harm. I'm no pc wiz, so I'm more providing some thoughts on what to look for.

You could try operating the pay on without having battery power in and based completely on the automobiles, and seeing if it continues.

Konrad
06-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Toshiba Satellites are built (mostly) by Quanta; they invariably use the thermal pastes and application methods recommended in the Intel/AMD datasheets, the stock TIM is actually marginally high grade but you could easily do better. I doubt top-tier TIM would see a ~10C improvement, but it should knock a handful of degrees off fairly easily.

Dust and obscured intake/exhaust flow are the big offenders (and didja know the main air inflow is underneath your keyboard?), even a theoretically 100% thermal-efficient heatsink system on the processor is still going to be bottlenecked by the amount of heat it can actually move out of the system. There are aftermarket upgrades, the better ones use beefier fans and ducted airflows, impact on battery life tends to be minimal.

A lot depends on your use, how hard you're pushing the processors and graphics, laptops aren't very robust so they need to be allowed to cool down. Using the machine on your lap often accelerates overheat. Find out where the air gets sucked in and blown out and don't block those areas.

You could try underclocking a bit. Don't charge and discharge the battery simultaneously. Turn off WiFi, BT, and USB peripherals when not actually using them. More power use equals more waste heat, even the little stuff adds up.

AmEv
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
OK, except for that spammer a couple pages up, I've made some bigger holes for better airflow.

Actually, I'm getting another laptop of the same family from a friend. So I'm going to be parts swapping soon