PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: Project Renew the Old

HaWk16
05-09-2006, 09:44 PM
ok so im looking for some suggestions for this project that im doing to help repair my dad's old T.V.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Hawk16/DSC00973.jpg
thats the old sucker
so it doesnt work no more and what i planned to do is gut it and buy a new T.V. and put the components into the box, cut out areas for the plug-ins in the back and replace the control panel.
i was also thinking on putting a computer with a large HD to act as a PVR and record shows and stuff. I can also hook it up to a second monitor so u can watch T.V. and surf the net at the same time :)
one thing i didnt really want to do tho is cut the wood and all cause its a really nice T.V. frame and i dont want to ruin it.
any suggestions would be great
thnx
~HaWk16

Cevinzol
05-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Not a good idea.
Televisions (CRT style, not LCD/plasma) can hold a very high voltage charge like a capacitor. Screwing with the inards of a TV can get you killed flat out. If you are serious I would check with an appliance repair place. They might be willing to help you discharge it safely.

d_stilgar
05-10-2006, 01:46 AM
If it doesn't work and hasn't been plugged in or turned on in at least three months, you shouldn't worry too much about the capacitors. They will have died by now if it hans't been plugged in in a while.

HaWk16
05-10-2006, 08:13 PM
o so if i turned it on recently i shouldnt mess with it?

Nagoshi
05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
If you link your TV on a computer, the TV is going to display an ugly picture (I know it, I played with my Pentium2 on my TV last month), you won't be able to do anything with it. Mostly old CRT screens, they are not flats, and the resolution just sucks.

If you have the money, you could remove everything from the TV case, buy a nice LCD screen, cut the plastic that covers the curving of the TV tube (basically, remove the tube, and cut the plastic so it makes a square, not something all waving), find a way to fir your LCD screen in it, and now because the LCD screen is so sleek designed you have all the place you need for your computer.

For power, you could find some kind of power-bar with a long cable, so that you can plug the screen and the computer in it, without having 2 power cables getting out of your TV to the wall.

And with all the TV cards possibilities on the market now, I am pretty sure you will be able to turn your computer into a TV (My uncle have an All-In-Wonder from ATI, he watchs TV on his computer, and can record movies if he wants too).

Altho this way it will costs a bit more because of the LCD screen, you will be sure that the old sucker won't be dangerous... while playing in it. Since CRT screens uses high voltages... well, if you decide to do it as I described, be sure to have some good cooling (multiple 120mm fans would be the idea), heck you could use the speaker grill in the front as an intake, and put 2 120mm in the back to blow the hot air out.

HaWk16
05-10-2006, 10:34 PM
If you link your TV on a computer, the TV is going to display an ugly picture (I know it, I played with my Pentium2 on my TV last month), you won't be able to do anything with it. Mostly old CRT screens, they are not flats, and the resolution just sucks.

If you have the money, you could remove everything from the TV case, buy a nice LCD screen, cut the plastic that covers the curving of the TV tube (basically, remove the tube, and cut the plastic so it makes a square, not something all waving), find a way to fir your LCD screen in it, and now because the LCD screen is so sleek designed you have all the place you need for your computer.

For power, you could find some kind of power-bar with a long cable, so that you can plug the screen and the computer in it, without having 2 power cables getting out of your TV to the wall.

And with all the TV cards possibilities on the market now, I am pretty sure you will be able to turn your computer into a TV (My uncle have an All-In-Wonder from ATI, he watchs TV on his computer, and can record movies if he wants too).

Altho this way it will costs a bit more because of the LCD screen, you will be sure that the old sucker won't be dangerous... while playing in it. Since CRT screens uses high voltages... well, if you decide to do it as I described, be sure to have some good cooling (multiple 120mm fans would be the idea), heck you could use the speaker grill in the front as an intake, and put 2 120mm in the back to blow the hot air out.

see i like your idea on changing it to an LCD screen but i wanted to keep the antique look and with a flat screen that look is kinda lost. But i'm still wondering if it is really unsafe to take out the components cause i lately tried turning it on to see if it works.

d_stilgar
05-10-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd say maybe buy a new computer CRT to go in place of the old TV screen. As said before, it will look bad on a TV, especially an old one.

Nagoshi
05-11-2006, 06:43 AM
well, as soon as you have a non-flat CRT as a TV it will look bad. but if you manage to get a computer screen fitting in this, it should be all right.

nil8
05-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Yes, it is really unsafe.
If it discharges into you, you can die or have a fun trip to the hospital.
Take the tv to a repair shop and have them discharge it safely for you. It will take a few minutes and cost you like 10 bucks.

I would suggest a hi-res plasma, but that is just me.

HaWk16
05-11-2006, 06:03 PM
I'd say maybe buy a new computer CRT to go in place of the old TV screen. As said before, it will look bad on a TV, especially an old one.
i kno that but i want it to work like a normal T.V. too thats y i want to replace the components

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it is really unsafe.
If it discharges into you, you can die or have a fun trip to the hospital.
Take the tv to a repair shop and have them discharge it safely for you. It will take a few minutes and cost you like 10 bucks.

I would suggest a hi-res plasma, but that is just me.

hmm so if i want to get the current components discharged i take it to the shop, take out all of the components, get the new t.v. discharged and then take them out of the new t.v. and put em into this one
does that sound about right so i dont get shocked? cause i really dont want to get shocked :)

Nagoshi
05-11-2006, 09:37 PM
i kno that but i want it to work like a normal T.V. too thats y i want to replace the components

hmm so if i want to get the current components discharged i take it to the shop, take out all of the components, get the new t.v. discharged and then take them out of the new t.v. and put em into this one
does that sound about right so i dont get shocked? cause i really dont want to get shocked :)

No no no... you bring your old TV to the shop, they discharge it, and you do whatever you want with the discharged one... If you wanna replace it, bring your old TV and your new TV, discharge them both and play with them :P

HaWk16
05-12-2006, 09:55 PM
No no no... you bring your old TV to the shop, they discharge it, and you do whatever you want with the discharged one... If you wanna replace it, bring your old TV and your new TV, discharge them both and play with them :P

ok good idea :D