PDA

View Full Version : Good Headset

billygoat333
11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
What is everyone's recommendation for a good headset? I am going to be looking to buy on black friday, and I want to know what people are running.

AmEv
11-06-2011, 11:40 PM
If you can afford it, I'd use surround-the-ear headsets. I find it puts less pressure on my ear, and is the best at neutralizing ambient noises.

OvRiDe
11-07-2011, 12:28 AM
I have been on the same quest.. at least when it comes to gaming. I have been searching reviews and opinions over the last few months. So far there is one major front runner in the review and personal opinion polls and that is...

Logitech G35

I was pretty set but then I found a few reviews on the Razer Megaladon's and that has put it all back into question for me.. LOL

The Megaladon's are about 150 bucks where you can get the G35's for around 90 bucks.

billygoat333
11-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Hmm... Guess we shall see what kind of deals we can get, eh? I like Logitech, always been a big fan.

diluzio91
11-07-2011, 11:20 AM
lol... i'm always good with my razer charakas (sp?). Audio is good enough and the mic is pretty good.

OvRiDe
11-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Bestbuy has the G35 headset on sale for $79.99 at the moment.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp;jsessionid=99897DD7819791CA41EF49F1 51D3B721.bbolsp-app02-04?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=3375053386954286138&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=logitech+g35&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960#storeInventoryLink

billygoat333
11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Damn thats a good buy! or should I say, best buy lol.

OvRiDe
11-08-2011, 12:48 AM
I picked a pair up and they are quite impressive. They sound great. Haven't worn them for any extended period of time, but so far they are pretty comfortable. Heavier then I am used to but that's because I was using a lightweight VoIP headset before. They are a bit hotter then those as well, but some of that is to be expected since these are full ear cups vs the others. Did I say they sound great? Bass is literally earshaking. Range is great, I am hearing things I didn't hear before in both BFBC2 and BF3. Setup was a snap. Oh and they sound great. They cancel pretty much all of the outside noise making the experiences quite immersive. Nice long and braided USB cable is nice too. I am not sure if my descriptions are enough to sway anyone or what you can take away from this but they are worth the price IMO. Doesn't hurt that they sound pretty great as well.

billygoat333
11-08-2011, 04:25 AM
Sold Out. :(

OvRiDe
11-08-2011, 05:44 AM
I was able to pick up a pair in the store, they might still have some in your area as well.

d_stilgar
11-10-2011, 11:05 AM
deals.woot.com

check for the G35 fairly often and you'll find em at a good price.

Corsair had a pretty good set like a year ago, but I haven't paid attention since.

Yeticorn
11-10-2011, 02:56 PM
So this is probably going to sound crazy, but I'll say it anyways. If you have the money for a pair of Astro A40's with the preamp, there is no better headset out there right now (better be for ~$400, right?). I've tried tons of pairs of cans over the years and these are by far the best. Mic is great and adjustable, but what makes it is the preamp/volume control module. Again, I'm very particular about my sound so this certainly isn't for everyone but it's great if you can afford it. It will be the last headset you'll ever buy.

Side note:The MLG circuit uses these as their official headsets for all players.

d_stilgar
11-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Looks like you can get a kit with the headphones and mixamp for $250 on the asto website.

If you want something with a headphone jack (for PC use I've moved to USB headphones only) you can try out the GK music Ultraphones. They are by far the best sounding headphones I've heard, but there's no mic included so you would have to do that separately on your own.

billygoat333
11-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the help, def. have some options to look at. +rep all around :D

Twigsoffury
11-22-2011, 07:49 PM
only problem with USB headphones is they often use a personal audio card.

and that audio card doesn't support very many "voices". (voices being the total "sounds" that the audio card can render at any given time) most i've seen is 16 voices on them logitech ones. i'm sure probably one is out there with 24 or something... but its still probably a@#

and my audio card supports 128 voices!!!1.... boy there is a big difference between 16 voices and 128 when your playing battlefield 3. (or really any game with a quality sound engine)

it's quiet on a 16 voice audio card while playing and well... it's certainly what a battlefield should sould sound like at 128 voices on my azuentec... and with a 15W built in headphone pre-amp it'll get as loud as your headphones and ears can handle!

http://www.auzentech.com/site/images/xfi/xfi_prelude_soundcard_1.jpg

d_stilgar
11-22-2011, 11:45 PM
only problem with USB headphones is they often use a personal audio card.

and my audio card supports 128 voices!!!1.... boy there is a big difference between 16 voices and 128 when your playing battlefield 3. (or really any game with a quality sound engine)

I agree that the built in USB sound card is not as good as a dedicated one, but it's super convenient. My current sound card setup means that whenever I plug in headphones I have a to choose in the software the headphones over the speakers. It gets old really fast, especially if I am in game where I can't easily switch back and forth. It's a trade off, but one I find worth it for USB over 1/8 phone jacks.

AmEv
11-23-2011, 01:01 PM
^That's why I have a decent microphone, and speakers with a headphone port.

Twigsoffury
11-23-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree that the built in USB sound card is not as good as a dedicated one, but it's super convenient. My current sound card setup means that whenever I plug in headphones I have a to choose in the software the headphones over the speakers. It gets old really fast, especially if I am in game where I can't easily switch back and forth. It's a trade off, but one I find worth it for USB over 1/8 phone jacks.

I just turn my speakers off.

: P

Cale_Hagan
11-23-2011, 07:23 PM
i use these for everything http://www.adelcom.net/SterlingHP.htm sterling te-400's, the best headphones i have ever heard... i bought them off a friend... they are super hard to find, but have the best response for frequency ever.... low lows, high highs, and some of the best clarity you will ever hear. they are connected to my asus xonar d2x pcie x1 card. best sound i have heard, ever. i dropped more than a grand into my car audio, my friend says its the best under 5 grand, possibly best under ten car audio setup he has heard. which is a fair amount, and i want to listen to the headphones in my car. haha. :whistler:

Twigsoffury
11-26-2011, 10:46 PM
i use these for everything http://www.adelcom.net/SterlingHP.htm sterling te-400's, the best headphones i have ever heard... i bought them off a friend... they are super hard to find, but have the best response for frequency ever.... low lows, high highs, and some of the best clarity you will ever hear. they are connected to my asus xonar d2x pcie x1 card. best sound i have heard, ever. i dropped more than a grand into my car audio, my friend says its the best under 5 grand, possibly best under ten car audio setup he has heard. which is a fair amount, and i want to listen to the headphones in my car. haha. :whistler:

18 Hz to 20 KHz Frequency Response

I'd believe it with a 18khz low end range! most headphones loose it around 45~50hz or higher.

I gave up on car stereos a long time ago, i mean its not worth it if some jack ass is going to steal it in the middle of the night.

you know at least in my state i can legally pop a gauge in you for stealing from my house. (its extended out to your automobile and outside dwellings or structures and small businesses as of nov 3rd 2011) but you couldn't for stealing from your car.

So now its 2 15's on two JWD Davis 750W P/A amplifiers with another 10" on a onkyo reciever and one of them logitech 7" self powered woofers.

It's enough to send EMI waves through my old CRT monitor when the bass hits just perfect! i'm surprised i don't bass format my hard drives sometimes from all the electromagnetic waves from the thunderstorm under my tables.

I really want one of them 22" Cerwin vega's but 830$ is a lot to ask these days. ooh but one day i'll be rolling dual 22" subwoofers and those tank rounds will really explode and knock soda cans and junk off the table from the bass.

AmEv
11-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Part of the reason I want to upgrade.

2 monitors is nice.
2 CRTs takes up a TON of workroom!

No wonder I envy my friend's triple-22" setup.....