PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to flight

Aero
05-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, I got an idea.

(note: this is the point where you should grab your belongings and run for the hills, because these usually end badly)

Anyway I got an idea. I was trying to think of a fun project I can really get into. And I looked at my name and realized I havn't done anything with that aspect. For those who didnt figure it out. "Aero" is taken from "Aerospace". Seeing as how I want to become and Aerospace Engineer I think its appropiate. Ok, anyway my idea is to have a scrach built case from plexi, styrene, mesh, and a few model airplanes.

The plexi can be vacu-formed over a mold to look like a puff of clouds. On older air plane will be in the front/bottom, and a newer space plane on top. The plexi can be painted white on the back so it still looks shiny, and blue cold cathodes will illuminate under the planes. The planes will be a De Havilland Comet (worlds first commercial airliner), and a spaceplane of my own design (second is for a sci-fi aspect).

I'm not sure how big this will have to be, if its too big I won't be able to make it. But I wanted some feedback before I really get into this.

Rankenphile
05-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, I got an idea.

There goes the neighborhood.

Actually, this could be very cool. My father is a big model plane enthusast, and has a collection of hundreds of model WWII airplanes he has built and painted over the years. One of them was actually featured in Fine Scale Modeller magazine, which was awesome - but that's a story for another time.

That said, this could be a very intriguing project, with great results, if it is done well. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your ideas on this.

DaveW
05-17-2006, 04:45 PM
this is the point where you should grab your belongings and run fdor the hills,

Dude, don't you remember? You blew up the hills 2 ideas ago...or was it 3? I can't remember if you blew the hills up before or after you blew up the neighbors... ;)

Sounds like a pretty sweet idea, why not incorporate one of the Wright brother's contraptions in there? If you lived in the UK i'd make a donation but it sounds like you got plenty of parts, and shipping costs too much...

Why not make a couple of sketches?

-Dave

Aero
05-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah I'm going to try and learn how to use Sketchup. Also I'll look into the Wright Brothers thing. I'm not sure how big the models will be, or how big I need to make it to house all the computer stuff. And the CD drive is another obsticle. But first is the planes. I'm going to have to see how much they cost and how big they are before I really say how many I'm going to use, but 2 looks possible, and 3 might be possible.