PDA

View Full Version : Learning EV v0.1

x88x
01-15-2012, 05:06 AM
I promised I would put these projects up here, so here we go. ;)

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been away from the boards for a while partly because of my new job (well, not so new anymore...been there almost 5 months now) but also because my interests have been shifting. I've become quite interested in EV tech and EVs recently, and in the near future will be starting on (and finishing...I promise.. :whistler: ) a few different EV projects of various types. I figure there may be some on here that might be interested in that ;) so I'll be posting build-logs of all these projects on here.

So, on to the first one.

Quite a while ago, back in late 2010 when I first started getting into this stuff, I picked up a couple cheap Chinese electric scooters with dead batteries. I could have sworn I had a picture of the two of them, but it looks like I don't...and it's cold outside, so I don't feel like going out there and getting a new picture.. So here's a picture from the company's website instead. :P
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/x13931x/x360-preview.jpg

They're made by a company called 'X-Treme Scooters'; their "X-360" model. Now, I'll say right now, I would never pay the $350 pricetag they were asking for these things last I looked. At $50/each though, yeah, sure, I'll see what I can do with them. :twisted:

Now, for technical bits.

These scooters were originally fitted out with three 12V 10Ah SLA batteries, a brushed DC motor that they rate at 360W, and a 36V 20A brushed DC motor controller.

The batteries, of course, had to go. Them being dead aside, SLA is just a waste of space and weight in my opinion. So, those came out:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/x13931x/elecScoot_01.jpg
....actually had some bulging on those...I need to get them out of my house...

Now, in the process of pulling those out I had to take the cheap, plastic cover off. I had been planning on doing this anyway because it looks like **** imo, but this gave me an excuse.

And here we go with that:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/x13931x/elecScoot_03.jpg

I have to say, I have been quite impressed with the quality of both the physical and electrical components. Once I got past the flimsy plastic cover, it's actually quite solidly built and the components actually are pretty decent as well.

I took it out for a quick spin the other night after stripping it down, just dropping a 48V li-po battery pack I had lying around from another project, and it was quite fun. :D

Definitely felt that controller though... The motor has a lot more to give, as I expected...runs just fine if I hook up the battery pack directly... :whistler: That controller needs to go though. I'm tripping both the 36V and 20A limits, and if I give it too much throttle it just shuts off, so that needs some help.

...and this brings me to a motor rant...feel free to skip unless you feel like hearing me rant about technical details of electric motors. ;)

This is not actually my first attempt at a small EV. I tried to get a rear hub-motor-powered ebike working back in early 2010; bought the motor, controller, throttle, and batteries, and worked at getting it all put together. ....and so we come to my issue...position sensors...

...ok, take a step back, wtf am I talking about..
There are three basic types of electric motors:
1) Brushed DC (BDC) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_DC_motor)
2) Brushless permanent magnet DC (BLDC) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_DC_electric_motor)
3) AC Induction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_induction_motor)

1) Most of the small motors you see in consumer products are brushed DC motors. Basically, they have coils or loops of copper in the armature (the part around the rotor that spins) that have current passed through them by way of graphite brushes in order to generate the armature's magnetic field. Sometimes the stator (stationary part around the edge of the motor) is a permanent magnet, sometimes it is electromagnetic coils, but either way the armature is always powered directly through brushes. This means that they have a wear point (the brushes), are not the simplest design, and are usually not quite as high efficiency as brushless designs, but in exchange they are cheaper and much, much easier to control. To control a BDC motor, all you need is a PWM square-wave signal, with the width of the square-wave determining the power fed to the motor.

2) BLDC motors use high-power permanent magnets (neodymium/etc) to generate the magnetic field on either the armature or the stator, while the other part uses electromagnetic windings to generate the field but stays stationary, so does not require brushes. BLDC motors come in two forms; outrunners and inrunners. Inrunners have a rotating armature and stationary stator, while outrunners have a stationary armature and a rotating stator. The benefit of BLDC motors is that because half of the magnetic work was done when the high-power magnets were created, and the magnets are quite small, you can get a higher power motor in the same physical size and weight. Or, as is more commonly done, the same power in a smaller physical size and weight. The downside is that they use rare-earth metals, which, while not actually all that rare, despite the name, are rarer, harder to mine, and thus more expensive in an end product than, say, copper and graphite. The other downside is that they are very complicated to control. Because the controllable field will always be stationary, and the field that is moving is uncontrollable, the controllable field has to be modulated in such a way as to exert force on the set field. For most of the BLDC motors I have seen, the manifests itself in the wound part of the motor (the armature in outrunners; the stator in unrunners) being wound as three different electrically-discreet coils (for more details, see the wiki article I linked). These are called 3-phase BLDC motors because of the three coils. What then has to be done is that three different sinusoidal (ideally...frequently they are triangular waveforms instead because sinusoidal are harder to make with digital electronics) signals offset 120 degrees from each other, that essentially makes a set magnetic field that rotates around the the axle.

3) AC Induction motors are frakking AWESOME, and one of Nikolai Tesla's brainchildren. Basically what happens is you have windings on the stator, that you pass current through to generate their magnetic field. The armature then has coils on it, but these coils are just loops, and are not connected to anything but themselves (ie, no brushes). Now, as anyone who has studied electromagnetic physics knows (ok, that sounded better and more universal in my head...shut up...), when you pass a conductor through a magnetic field, a current is generated in that conductor. This is what we call an 'induced' current. What happens on the armature of an AC Induction motor is that the field in the stator windings is varied in much the same way as the field in the stator of a BLDC inrunner, and as the magnetic field moves around the armature, a current is generated in the armature. Fun thing about that...any current travelling through a conductor generates a magnetic field. So, as the induced current travels through the coils in the armature, it generates a magnetic field that then interacts with the magnetic field generated by the current you originally passed through the windings in the stator. I'm still not entirely certain how, but this actually ends up being one of the most efficient types of electric motor. It doesn't seem like it should be, but it is. One of those quirks of physics. Now, as a result of all this, you have a motor where the only wear points are the bearings and the most exotic material used in the construction is the copper in the windings. Unfortunately, they are also quite complicated to control, as I mentioned earlier. They require basically the same waveform as a BLDC motor, with the one difference in that AC motors in configurations other than 3-phase are much more common than non-3-phase BLDC motors.

....now, what was my point? Oh, and if I got anything wrong, please feel free to correct me. ..oh yes, my point...sensors...

Some BLDC motors have hall effect sensors (output a varying signal depending on the strength of the magnetic field they are in) on them that will tell the controller what position the motor is in, and thus what signal it should send to the windings so that it will not interfere with the field generated by the magnets. This is the only motor type where this is even an issue as with BDC the brushes only convey current to the properly placed armature windings, and with AC Induction, there are never any magnets to interfere with.

The problem with this is that these sensors are usually quite fragile, and in everything I have read, as well as my own limited experience, are thus the most common thing to fail...which causes problems since controllers expecting input from these sensors will, in the absence of sensor input, at best function sub-optimally, at worst cease to function at all.

Now, the idea of sensored BLDC motors is nice in concept and I know a lot of people have had great experiences with them, but in my opinion they're just not worth the trouble.

...of course, that is largely because my experience with BLDC motors followed this:
1) Bought motor
2) At least one sensor was shot out of the box
3) Replaced sensors
4) At least one doesn't work

Now, 4 is quite possibly my fault, but tbh I am beyond caring. They're just not worth the trouble to me. I may still use BLDC motors at some point in the future, but probably only in places where the power-to-weight benefit is enough to justify it...but I refuse to touch sensors again. And as the power and efficiency of vehicle-class BDC motors continues to increase and the brushes get more and more long-lived, I see no reason for BLDC.

If I want cheap(er), easy to control, and high low-end torque, I'll go with BDC. If I want elegant, maintenance-free, and higher top-end RPM I'll go with AC Induction.

Also, BDC has the most torque available at start of all the motor types, since it is the only type that has direct power transferred to both sets of windings.

Ok, enough of my ranting...

Anyways, point of all that being; yes, I know about BLDC; no, I'm not interested.

Also that BDC motors are pretty simple to control...so I'm gonna take a shot at building my own controller.

I have some parts on order from Mouser, including some 100V 52A mosfets that will make a nice power stage for this little scooter. :D

x88x
01-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Forgot to put this in the above..

These are the new batteries that I'm testing with now:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/x13931x/elecScoot_04.jpg
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/x13931x/elecScoot_05.jpg

These are two 6S 5Ah li-po packs, each with a nominal voltage of 22.2V, for a total of 44.4V nominal...so you can see why the controller wasn't happy. ;)

For context, the original battery pack was 36V 12Ah SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) and took up that whole tray under where your feet would sit. Now, due to what is called the peukert effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law), the usable capacity of lead acid battery packs in EVs is usually ~50% of the 20-hour capacity (ie, the capacity if discharged over a period of 20 hours; the value that is normally stated for lead acid batteries). Those two little packs in there, even with only using 80% of the charge (extends the life by a huge amount, rather than using 100% of the charge), is a 44.4V 4Ah pack. So, about 82% of the capacity of the original in about 1/3 the volume and idk how much less weight (a lot).

AmEv
01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Is there a drop-in replacement for LA batteries?

x88x
01-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Sort of. You can get pretty close to 12V with lithium cells, and controllers will usually have a bit of leeway. Common lithium chemistries generally produce a nominal voltage of either 3.2V or 3.7V per cell. There are a few that are ~2-2.5V, but they're much rarer at the moment. So, using either 3 of the 3.7V or 4 of the 3.2V in series, you could get close enough to 12V that it should work fine. For multiples of 12V you would want to adjust it a bit though. For example, this scooter originally had a 36V SLA pack. The lithium cells I am using have a nominal voltage of 3.7V, so if I were to put 9-10 in series, that would get close enough that it probably wouldn't keep shutting off the controller. I just happened to have them in packs of 6, so I am running it on 12 in series. The replacement controller I'll be making should be good up to 100V, so I'll be trying it with a third pack I have in series with the other two for a nominal 66.6V...should get a good bit more speed out of it then. :twisted:

If you have something like this that you want to convert to lithium power, I would recommend checking out the link below. They are not the best lithium batteries in the world (far from it), and don't have that high discharge levels, but they are the cheapest formed packs I've seen and I've heard lots of good things about the build quality and customer support. They are also LiFePO4 chemistry, so have much longer charge cycle lives. They're an older LiFePO4 design, so don't have the life of newer ones, but they're also a lot cheaper than the newer ones.
http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/StoreFront

In addition to the decreased weight and volume, you will also get improved acceleration with lithium cells because the voltage will sag less under load than with lead acid. This is another place that the Ping batteries I linked will not stack up as well as other, newer, better, more expensive, lithium batteries, but they should still be better than SLA.

These batteries will give you longer life, more current, and thus less voltage sag, than the Ping batteries, but will also cost a bit more.
http://stores.headway-headquarters.com/-strse-BATTERY-PACKS/Categories.bok

For a bit of context on the size/weight issue:
36V Stock SLA pack (6Ah usable): 150x105x315mm (4,961,250 mm^3), 25.14lb: $110.85
36V Ping LiFePO4 (10Ah usable): 150x105x105mm (1,653,750 mm^3), 8.2lb: $289
36V Headway LiFePO4 (10Ah usable): 243x151x98mm (3,595,914 mm^3), 10lb: $474

x88x
02-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Thought I'd drop in a bit of an update on this since I have been rather lax in that..holy crap, has it seriously been 25 days since I posted this?

When I said the parts were 'on order', that was...a bit of a fib...actually only finally placed the order on this past Sunday. Anyways, parts got in today and spent some down-time at work going through them. :D

I won't have a chance to work on the controller until Saturday, but I hope to have a working prototype by Sunday so I can start putting it through its paces.

I did have one pleasant surprise with the parts! For testing the controller on the bench I picked up a nice 10-turn 10k pot for the throttle. It was pretty expensive ($15), but I figured that was just par for the course for a high-quality high-precision pot. ...turns out that $15 was for a pack of 10! :D Looking over the product page, the only hint I can find of that is the 'bulk' packaging, the plural grammar in the description: "Potentiometers 7/8 WW 10Kohms 10 Turns", and in the datasheet, where they are describing the SAP part numbering guidelines, there is a reference to 'B10' meaning a box of 10...but I see no reference to 'B10' in the Mouser catalog...ah well, I'm sure they'll get put to use eventually and they are extremely nice pots for $1.50/each. Link below, if anyone's interested.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay/534-11103/?qs=yqtfsgZKt1RKk2H4FvBTfQ%3d%3d

x88x
02-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Oh, forgot to mention; a couple weeks ago I succumbed to temptation and tried hooking up the third pack in series with the first two on the original controller....and promptly blew it up.. :whistler: I did confirm my suspicions that the motor can easily take 72V though. :D

xr4man
02-10-2012, 10:02 AM
i missed this before, but i am completely intrigued. my mechanic buddy has been playing with scooters for the past year or so and got me interested, but this puts a whole new spin on it and makes me want to build an old scooter into an electric one. i need to look more into this now. probably end up shooting you some pm's with questions and stuff.

x88x
02-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Absolutely; feel free.

AmEv
02-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Make it go 70 :P

x88x
02-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Make it go 70 :P

Heheh, I'll see what I can do about that. :twisted:

altec
02-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Good thinking on this weekend! Won't be anything better to do Saturday with the weather.

So, when are we racing? Your Scoot Vs. my bike! :D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Titan/IMAG1081.jpg

TLHarrell
02-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Nice bike. I used to have a 2001 Honda Shadow ACE 750, but had to sell it recently. I miss riding. Someday...

x88x
02-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Nice bike. :D:up: I'll hold off on the race though. ;) That'll wait till v1.0; converting a 1982 Honda CM450E to electric. ;)

altec
02-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Wait, you have a CM450E laying around? I'll take it off your hands for the right price... Been wanting a project bike!

x88x
02-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Picked it up about a year ago for song to be a parts bike for my '80 CM400T and a frame for the conversion I was starting to think about then....it's in pretty rough shape though. A friend of my dad's took the carbs off it with the intention of rebuilding them since I was having trouble with my stock carbs on the 400 when we did a ride last April, but after tearing them down he determined they were basically unsalvageable. Thing had been sitting out in the weather for a long time and had been attacked with a pellet gun or something. All the gauges are poked out with what I'm guessing was a screwdriver, and it's missing one of the spark plugs...ie, one of the cylinders has been open to the air for god knows how long... ..oh, and the wire spokes are pretty rusted...not sure I would trust them...but I want discs anyways, so they wouldn't have been staying even if they were in good shape.

I'll grab a picture of it in a bit and post it. I haven't pulled the engine and tranny yet, but when I do if you want a challenge, they're yours. ;)

...now I just have to figure out how to get a title for the damn thing...didn't know to get a bill of sale when I bought it, so I'll likely end up futzing around with the MVA for entirely too long on that...

altec
02-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Ah, no title. :( That is a bummer. Haha, everything else I feel fine about dealing with. Even the rusted cylinder... It's that title that is the boner kill...

Maybe one weekend when it's a bit warmer I should ride my bike up to kick some tires, and see what kinda mad scientist things you are up to! :)

x88x
02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Yeah, hoping to get that title worked out without terribly much trouble. I have the keys and everything, so not really worried about it having been stolen, just gonna have to figure out the process I have to go through and wade through the paperwork.

Here's a shot of it:
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/x13931x/20120213_001.jpg

EDIT:
Should also note, there is no damage to the VIN plate; another reason I'm not terribly worried about its past. ;)

x88x
02-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh, and yeah, absolutely; you're welcome any time. :D I should also start having more free time when normal people are actually awake within the next month or so, so hopefully will actually start making good progress on this and various other projects.

x88x
02-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Hmmm...actually....after again getting into the research for getting that title, I started taking a stroll around CL...and found what looks like an even better base. :twisted: CB650 rolling frame (ie, no motor/tranny/seat/tank, but does have frame/swingarm/forks/suspension/wheels/etc) that looks like it's in better condition than my 450...and it's cheaper than what I paid for it too...and the wheels are in good condition...and already fitted for disc breaks...and a clear title in hand... :D So I'll hopefully be checking that out later this week and likely adding to my growing stable of non-functioning motorcycles. :whistler:

...speaking of which, altec (or anyone else), you wouldn't have any suggestions for replacement carbs for a 1980 CM400T would you? They're shot again (or, rather, the right one that has consistently been giving me trouble shot itself again last June and I haven't had the money to fix it until now). Given that the carbs have been the only thing on this bike that have given me any trouble at all since I got it three years ago (and are the reason I haven't been able to ride it much the last year), I am inclined to just replace the damn things with newer (read: more reliable) units if such a thing is feasible. Problem is I know f*** all about carbs, so my internet research is largely useless in this pursuit. :P

x88x
02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Damn, missed out on the 650. :( He had sold it just yesterday.

x88x
02-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Bit of an update on this an v1.0.

I was busy all weekend with some friends from work, but got in a bit of time on the controller on...Monday? Tuesday? something... I think I got it working, but the motor I was testing it on is a bit..slow to respond? Also, I misread the spec and got the wrong value pot for the throttle. I need to work out getting the hall-effect throttle on the scooter working with it anyway though, so I'm thinking I'll just get that working for testing rather than bother finding a 1M pot.

On the v1.0 front, I got a line on a GS1100GL. :D Going to take a look at it on Saturday, and likely picking it up then. Full title, so no worries there, and it'll have way more space for the components (mainly for the batteries) than the 450 at not much more weight. Plus, it apparently actually even works now! Needs some carb work, but I'm thinking I might get it road-worthy and ride it for a bit before stripping the ICE off and converting it. ;)

It is a shaft drive, which is interesting but apparently quite a lot less efficient than a chain drive, so I'll probably be pulling that and replacing it with a chain drive.

...and then I'll have a full, functioning, GS1100 drivetrain lying around...I'm sure I can find something interesting to do with it. :twisted:

altec
02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Give it to me?

You find any leads on chain drive bikes I can put historic tags on, lemme know!

x88x
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
I actually found a decent variety on CL. If you just search for 'project', it'll give you an interesting read. ;)

Here's a couple I passed up that look like they wouldn't take much work (none on the 650, but it's also more expensive).
http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/2812577453.html
http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/2851714861.html

EDIT:
..actually, I think that first link is a shaft-drive...

altec
02-16-2012, 09:58 PM
That second looks decent. I never tried looking in other states. :redface:

Regarding the carbs (Sorry I missed your post), I really don't know a ton about jap bike carbs. I could hook you up if it had a S&S Super E on it. Haha.

Heck, if you want to try and mess with it one day, we can get together and try to tear it apart. Carburetors are pretty simple after you get passed the voodoo of it all. Only a couple things to really fail, and unless the housing itself is damaged we should be able to fix it. Biggest part will be getting rebuild kits if we find damaged internals.

There are upgrade options out there. The first to that come to mind are higher end Mikuni units, and Lectrons. Problem is both will be pricey, and will probably need to fab work to install, with no real gains.

x88x
02-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Regarding the carbs (Sorry I missed your post), I really don't know a ton about jap bike carbs. I could hook you up if it had a S&S Super E on it. Haha.

Heck, if you want to try and mess with it one day, we can get together and try to tear it apart. Carburetors are pretty simple after you get passed the voodoo of it all. Only a couple things to really fail, and unless the housing itself is damaged we should be able to fix it. Biggest part will be getting rebuild kits if we find damaged internals.

Yeah, will have to set that up sometime. The 'voodoo' aspect you mention is really a big part of the problem, tbh. I feel like everything I get into ends up having one aspect that remains a complete mystery to my...with computers it's printers, with ICE it's carbs. I can explain in excruciating detail how they work, but if one actually breaks, god help us all...