PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish you could own

crenn
02-05-2012, 01:58 AM
There is 2 things that I currently want:

A reflow oven (so wish I could afford this, as I'll need one when I do my latest project :():
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UPDATED-T-962-INFRARED-IC-HEATER-REFLOW-WAVE-OVEN-BGA-T962-800W-180-235MM-NEW-p2-/330629835213?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_ Supply_MRO&hash=item4cfb12e9cd

And a 3D Printer (as I need to make cases for electronics and such like)

What things are you currently wanting?

Aldersan
02-05-2012, 02:05 AM
A second GTX580 and a SATA III SSD :(

Stonerboy779
02-05-2012, 02:05 AM
I am with you on the 3D printer but I also want a '68 Fastback Hemi Cuda with the 426 (7.0L) engine.

Alas both out of me reach now and likely the rest of my life too.

TLHarrell
02-05-2012, 03:23 AM
I want a 2010 Honda Shadow Phantom. And a much larger workshop area.

Fuganater
02-05-2012, 03:28 AM
SR-2 Motherboard and dual Xeons..... Quad SLI would be nice too.

x88x
02-05-2012, 03:50 AM
Tesla Model S Signature Performance, 10,000 sqft garage with full machine shop and physical and electronics fabrication facilites, lithium battery manufacturing facility, private sci/tech thinktank, 1,000+ acres in the Mojave, private island in the south Pacific,...oh, wait, currently? As in...realistic short-term?...damn... ah well, I guess I'll just settle for a 2-car garage with workshop then. ;) ...speaking of which, I need to start figuring out the paperwork and planning for that if I want to get it built this Spring...damn, I hate paperwork...

d_stilgar
02-05-2012, 04:11 AM
A second 2Gb AMD HD 6950 (or 6970 or 7970 or 7950).
All the Last Night on Earth expansions.
An SSD, or a hybrid drive, or something like that . . .
Cyborg Rat 7 mouse.
Cyborg Freq 5 headset.

Some decent stereo speakers and a sub for my TV.

If we want to go nuts . . . and think really long term
Razer stuff, like the star wars old republic keyboard, the hydra.
A HTPC.
Hal 9000 NAS.

. . . there's a list of arcade machines, but I'm not the type to just keep that for myself, so I'd have to have a way to make money off them and let others use em.

A plymouth prowler. It's my dream car. I try to keep my dreams reasonable, and I'm fairly practical too.

And . . . a decent house on a nice bit of property.

Other than that, small stuff.

Cale_Hagan
02-05-2012, 05:35 AM
I am with you on the 3D printer but I also want a '68 Fastback Hemi Cuda with the 426 (7.0L) engine.

Alas both out of me reach now and likely the rest of my life too.
YES.

Tesla Model S Signature Performance, 10,000 sqft garage with full machine shop and physical and electronics fabrication facilites, lithium battery manufacturing facility, private sci/tech thinktank, 1,000+ acres in the Mojave, private island in the south Pacific,...oh, wait, currently? As in...realistic short-term?...damn... ah well, I guess I'll just settle for a 2-car garage with workshop then. ;) ...speaking of which, I need to start figuring out the paperwork and planning for that if I want to get it built this Spring...damn, I hate paperwork...
YES!

me, personally, an audi r8 ppi razor gtr 10. for those who don't know what it is, here is a picture. if you have some spare time, and are a gear head, and don't know the performance specs, look em up. also, the best handling offered in any sports car available. lol
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9172/ppiaudir8razorgtr10stre.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/ppiaudir8razorgtr10stre.jpg/)

realistically short term, a mini cooper S or mini cooper john cooper works edition.

by the time i retire, i want a house on a bunch of property in the hills, small house, preferably that audi, and *preferably* a personal airport with a v tail bonanza that looks like this
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/643/oldbobsv35b.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/oldbobsv35b.jpg/)

and possibly a helicopter. something small, for when the winter comes, and i can't fly the plane due to ice... a old wooden yacht, like early 1930's would be nice too, with a chris craft for day use towed behind. :whistler:

BuzzKillington
02-05-2012, 07:06 AM
1) My own knife company
2) ?

Neodymium
02-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Short term - I'd like a proper house with a garage/workshop and some acreage around it - tired of my townhouse :(
Long term: I'd like to keep that house, send kids to college, and one of these Aston Martin Carbon editions
http://hotautomag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Aston-Martin-DBS-Carbon-Edition.jpg
And a garage like this one:
http://www.9kracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/canepa.jpg
and maybe all the cars that this guy has too :P

AmEv
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
What do I wish I could own?
Materials to revamp our current house.
DSLR :P (Hey, I'm perfectly contempt with my current 5MP Konica Minolta!

Omega
02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
What do I wish I could own?
Materials to revamp our current house.
DSLR :P (Hey, I'm perfectly contempt with my current 5MP Konica Minolta!

Contempt?

I think maybe you mean content.

Contempt:
the state of being despised; dishonor; disgrace.

Content:
satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.

AmEv
02-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Yes, thanks. Mentally change that MP to an N.

Cale_Hagan
02-05-2012, 06:35 PM
@neo. i completely agree with those great choices! :D

diluzio91
02-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I'd settle for large quantities of gold bullion...

@D_Stilgar, You find the $ hit me up for that 2nd GPU

d_stilgar
02-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I'd settle for large quantities of gold bullion...

@D_Stilgar, You find the $ hit me up for that 2nd GPU

Oh I will. People need to hit up my for sale items, haha. No, really, I need to be saving money. My wife and I are behind on our savings goals. Still, can't complain about a good trade . . . if people want to start trading.

AmEv
02-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Tax refunds are coming up, guys!

You'll be able to get what you want!

d_stilgar
02-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Tax refunds are coming up, guys!

You'll be able to get what you want!

Haha. Federal Refund: $1200. Amound owed to state: $1000. Goodbye money!

AmEv
02-05-2012, 08:16 PM
$200 for that SSD???

Aldersan
02-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Lol, hopefully he wouldn't need $200 for a used 120GB SSD :P at least, I'm not charging that much for mine :D

diluzio91
02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
haha... I got $400 back, paid off my credit cards so i'll effectivly have en extra $100 each month

Neodymium
02-05-2012, 09:50 PM
@neo. i completely agree with those great choices! :D
Thanks Cale...think about it, if you already had all those things, you can afford to any or all the mods without wishing for something :P You'd be modding till the cows come home...lol

BuzzKillington
02-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Tax refund? lol

d_stilgar
02-06-2012, 01:33 AM
$200 for that SSD???

I'm behind on savings. I've got to use my money wisely. I know though, I could get an SSD.

TheGreatSatan
02-06-2012, 01:56 AM
I've always wanted a Delorean

xr4man
02-06-2012, 10:16 AM
having already owned a super car, i don't want another one. they are more of a pain in the butt than they are worth in my opinion.

although i would not turn down a clean unmodified mk4 turbo supra.

i think my current obsessive goal is to just find a GF. been alone far too long this time.

Neodymium
02-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Tax refund? lol
At least some of you guys can expect tax refunds...I'm paying approximately 43% in tax and on top, come tax time, this year, the tax man is going to claim my first born as owing and bump up my taxes to 46% on top of it :D You should see our HR Block ads...lol

Maybe I should revisit my wishes :D

BuzzKillington
02-06-2012, 02:01 PM
I was actually complaining about paying out but now that you said 43% I'm shutting up now. OUCH!!

Cale_Hagan
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM

damn. that sucks... :(

x88x
02-06-2012, 04:31 PM

Heheh...one of the benefits of owning a house...plenty of tax deductions. ;) Didn't get nearly as much back as I did last year when I bought it, but I can deduct all interest paid on my mortgage and all property taxes paid....which is kinda counter-intuitive, come to think of it...but nice. ;)

d_stilgar
02-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Heheh...one of the benefits of owning a house...plenty of tax deductions. ;) Didn't get nearly as much back as I did last year when I bought it, but I can deduct all interest paid on my mortgage and all property taxes paid....which is kinda counter-intuitive, come to think of it...but nice. ;)

I own my place, but paid only ~$100 in interest last year on the mortgage. The big problem my wife and I have is that we live in Idaho, but work 20 minutes away in Washington, so no state withholding. Idaho taxes are just moronic anyway.

pcclan
02-08-2012, 04:41 AM
The couple things i want is a Dremel rotary. maybe a sander as we so i can do a couple projects. but as of right now it's not in the budget.

BuzzKillington
02-08-2012, 07:32 AM
having already owned a super car, i don't want another one. they are more of a pain in the butt than they are worth in my opinion

Go onnnnn........ :blivnk:

xr4man
02-08-2012, 10:01 AM
if i must....lol

i had a sierra cosworth. i rebuilt it from the ground up. once it was done i almost never drove it. always lurking in the back of my mind was the idea that any "spirited " driving could damage the engine if i had missed fixing something. and i could not afford to replace it. reading many magazine articles about cosworths and the yb engine only helped to solidify that. then there was the fear of every other idiot on the road. if it had gotten hit or in any kind of an accident, i could not replace it. i could not afford to get body work done with the cost of importing parts from england. it leaked every fluid from everywhere. it was a total pain in the ass.

you can say that's just one example. but it's just the one i am closest to.

i have an old navy buddy who told me of his brother and his lotus esprit twin turbo. he ended up getting rid of it because it was also a pain in the ass to own. and another guy with a lambo murcialago. he ended up giving it to his daughter after he blew the engine and had it replaced.

basically, my own experiences and everything i have ever read about exotics and super cars leans towards them just not being worth it to own one.

oh yeah, there's a dude i work with here that has an amg c55. he just spent about $800 to get plugs and wires for it. and about $1000 on a new alternator and crank angle sensor. the "super car tax" is a big downer too.

TheGreatSatan
02-10-2012, 10:34 PM
I own my place, but paid only ~$100 in interest last year on the mortgage. The big problem my wife and I have is that we live in Idaho, but work 20 minutes away in Washington, so no state withholding. Idaho taxes are just moronic anyway.

Same problem. We own a home and have kids, but I get nothing back from the federal gov't. Plus I live in Illinois, but work in Missouri so my paycheck taxes go to Missouri. When I file my Illinois taxes, they see what I make and that they get none of it, so I owe them $1000!