PDA

View Full Version : Arcade

CanaBalistic
05-23-2006, 12:30 AM
This sounds so stupid of a question because its obviously somthing everyone has thought of. Has anyone here or does anyone here know of an arcade cabinet case mod? One of thoes enclosed sit down games. I think it would be an extremly easy thing to build and put a sound system in.

Could be somthing related to need for speed or another racing game.

Im sure there would be a way to install some foot pedal controls and a swing away stearing wheel.

Rankenphile
05-23-2006, 12:42 AM
I was actually considering this with my arcade cabinet mod I was working on until I ran out of room. I found a dual cabinet setup on ebay that was going for $100, plus shipping (the painful part). I was considering adding lan'ed computers or a pair of Xboxes or something in them, with surround sound and everything. Unfortunately, the guy who was selling it backed down on the shipping - he refused to do any prep work - all he needed to do was wrap it in plastic and put it on a pallet, and he didn't want to be bothered, so he gave me a refund.

It's a great idea, though, and would make for a really cool computer setup, provided you padded the seats - those solid plastic seats would make for uncomfortable games in the long-term.

CanaBalistic
05-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Im going to look into this just because the cabnit it self is easy. I was thinking for somthing to make this a challenge and i thought of making it modular so i can carry pieces of it up my stairs and not have to hoist some huge thing onto my balcony. Another thing would be to attatch some "gull" wing doors so you can have a completly enclosed bubble. As for the sound system. I have the most perfect sony 5.1 speakers and a home thearter amp that i can dedicate to the arcade.

If i built this i would want a jet fighter seat, most likley a replica. It might cost to much so this goes in the dream catagory. A viable solution would be to use a rigid back office chair. The base of the chair is wood so a few screws is all that would be needed.

The more i think about this, the more ideas i get. This could be just up my alley. Ill gather some intell and make some drawings or somthing :)

JasterMereel
05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Dude, that is the most kickass ****ing mod I've ever caught wind of. Put ample sound insulation between so you feel totally isolated when playing against another person...

... also, don't copy an arcade cabinet for the look, make some **** up of your own.

;)

-Big Dan

Sertainment
05-23-2006, 09:22 PM
That sounds really sweet man, let us know how it goes

CanaBalistic
05-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Im have the idea in my head but i cant make the complex shape in sketch up. My idea is basicly a modified cone resembeling some sort of star fighter

This is the best i got from sketch up. the idea is same but i want 2 more angels on teh sides if you under stand that :)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/Cana-Balistic/arcade.jpg

Another thing i have that i could but dont really want to incorperate is my massaging office chair. It could be a sweet thing to have your butt masaged while sitting in an arcade game in your living room!!

d_stilgar
05-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Are you thinking of making it one game specific? Or something like, racing, flight, anything else . . .

The hardest part I think would be to make the inside look arcade like, but still have all the function of a normal computer.

CanaBalistic
05-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Project Arcadia Mack II

Some minow refinements, still i'd like the shape to be better but this looks more like somthing you'd find in your everyday arcade.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/Cana-Balistic/Arcadia.jpg

Razor Blade
05-24-2006, 03:43 AM
Looking cool, man I wish I had room in my place for something like this! <--- Jealous

Can't wait to see more!

blue73
05-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Sick idea. Can't wait to see this.

Ironsides
05-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Awesome, I have often thought about making one for myself, sort of cockpit style for my racing sim. Should be alot of fun to build man:)

CanaBalistic
05-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Money is tight right now so i cant really afford the wood and what not. I do work in the demolition field and i KNOW that i'll come across some sooner or later. Also i dont have the proper tools to make this right now. I got room for it in my apartment but no room to make it

Thus why i put this in the idea zone.

I am going to try my best to make this happen quickly. it just takes time and preperation to get it right.

Thallion
05-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Ahhh arcade cases....

Love them, if you have the space I am all for it, hopefully my next home will have a space where i can put up a few!!!!!

Here has been my experience with them....

You are Probably better off making a case from scratch than buying an old arcade case. here is my experience: I bought 2 stand up arcade cases for 100 each. Unless you really want the original artwork and what not. Here are the catches:

1 - They are Very Heavy and Unwieldy to move around/ship.
2 - Old cases may be damaged from all their moving during their working life, and may be in need of repair
3 - Filthy insides!
4 - Built in components you hoped to use may be worn out or rusted.

After buying the 2 cases I put them in the garage (in houston) Where they sat for the next 4 years untouched. Sadly it was just one of my projects I never got around too. When purchased they both worked. When I resold them , only one worked, as the other had a completely rusted power supply just from sitting in my garage. (dang texas Humidity)

If you are seaching ebay for a case I strongly suggest looking in a region/state so you can pick it up yourself as a weekend roadtrip, keep watching long enoughand one will pop up. shipping will be excessive.... hope you have a friend with a truck.. ;)

The reason I orignally bought the cases was for all the coin mechs, as those are expensive and I felt like i needed them to make my mame case cooler. If it hadn't been for them I would have just built from scrtach to beign with, and looking back now I won't bother with them when I do get around to building one. Other than the coin mechs the rest of the control parts are relatively inexpensive and can easily be ordered. Again if you don't have a real good reason for buying one already, I suggest building one from scratch.

If you are just looking for a dedicated car sim take a look at the hyper simulator, it may give you some ideas how to create a nice small sim cockpit.

CanaBalistic
05-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah i plan to build it. I can get the rubber edge bumpers off ebay for cheap and give it a professional look. I dont plan on it being an actual arcade game. just somthing to put my computer into.