PDA

View Full Version : The Game reccomendation thread

onelegout
05-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Wow, I just got need for speed underground 2, expecting a boring always-the-same racing game. What I got was one of the most addictive and exciting games I've played in a long time! I can only think of a few minor improvements that they could make to it, buit otherwise it's amazingly fun. I especialy like it because it runs perfectly on the highest settings on my pc, which my other games dont :D
So yeah. if you like cars, and need for speed games, DEFINATELY get this!

If you could reccomend only one game, what would it be, and why?

H

nil8
05-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Elder scrolls series for rpg.
Half life series for FPS.

They're both fantastic and most of their addons are impressive as well.

DaveW
05-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Fallout.

-Dave

Note: I don't need to give you a reason. If you've played it...you'll know ;)

Rankenphile
05-23-2006, 12:39 PM
If I could only have one game, for the rest of my life? Yeesh.

Probably Civilizations 3 or 4. Amazing games, epic in scale, absolutely addictive gameplay, and pretty much infinite replayability.

public_eyesore
05-23-2006, 12:44 PM
kotor

bigbaddog
05-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Privateer (the first one)

Rankenphile
05-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh! If you're into RPGs and looking for something with a ton of replay value, Neverwinter Nights is great, and has literally thousands of mods for it out there, with everything from basic equipment upgrades to short adventures to full campaigns to persistent worlds with live GMs. Great game.

DaveW
05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
I think there's a fallout mod for Neverwinter nights. There's a fallout mod for Morrowind as well, now that you mention it.

-Dave

Rankenphile
05-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout. That's all you care about, isn't it Dave? Fallout this and Fallout that. Sheesh. I remember when we used to be able to talk about things, you know? The weather. The news. Case mods. But these days it's all Fallout Fallout Blahblahblah.

It's like... it's like you don't even care about me any more. *sniff*

(lol j/k love ya man)

Redbeard
05-23-2006, 04:12 PM
If you're a strategy nut like me then try to pick up alpha centari, it's old, ugly and takes forever to play but I still love it. The depth of that game is unbelievable, and the manual rivals most novels, so if you like complicated, straegy games then give it a try.

DaveW
05-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I used to have Alpha Centuri, but it kept crashing at exactly 40 mins into the game. Patches never fixed it, so i sold it.

There! Ya happy? I talked about something else! (On a side note, best not ask a Scot about the weather...it's never good!)

-Dave

Rankenphile
05-23-2006, 06:02 PM
If you liked Alpha Centauri, you might want to check out Space Rangers 2 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EOOZ5S/103-8575858-7751049?v=glance&n=468642), a really odd game that is sort of a combination of games. It has 3D RTS combat, 2D turn-based space combat, 2D travel and even text-adventures as part of the overall experience, and offers a huge amount of depth of gameplay. Worth checking out.

bartvandenberg
05-23-2006, 07:33 PM
need for speed most wanted is a great arcade car game, but im still a half life 2 fan, and ill never pass up a quick run at F.E.A.R multi

blue73
05-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Manic Miner!!:D

God I've shown Me age there aye.. Any of the GTA series right the way back to the first top downs. Freelancer was ace too.

Cannibal23
05-24-2006, 03:47 PM
if your really into online gameing and FPS Battlefield 2 is excelent. it has aspects of flight simulator jets and helicopters. land vehicals as well such as tanks jeeps apc's. they even have boats that you can drive arround in. and if you just like the old shool fps then go on foot.

for RTS i would have to recommend Rome total war. it has political/ financial things to do, population management. 2d stratagy map and you can drop down into a 3d battle map if you want to manage the battle your self.

if your into fps you should play the thief series. even though they are old it will help you in playing any other fps game. it will teach you to use misdirectioin and stealth to defeat your opponants.

DaveW
05-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Anyone remember a game called Machines? Way ahead of it's time.

Even by today's standards, it has lots of features that can still only be found in that game.

-Dave

Pimptimus_Prime
06-03-2006, 10:17 PM
I would have to say Fallout 2 (Haha! Different game entirely!) for a game with tons of replay value that I can play endlessly. I play tons of games, but I always come back to good old Fallout 2. (Oh, and I'm still going to make my G.E.C.K. computer! I've been buying tools with what little money I have extra and will be starting again when the weather clears up!)

Rankenphile
06-04-2006, 03:11 AM
I just got used copies of Shadow of the Colossus and Psychonauts for the PS2. Both are great. Shadow of the Colossus is a must-play, in my opinion. I've never seen anything like it, and it is absolutely incredible.

DaveW
06-04-2006, 02:48 PM
It is good isn't it :) I just sat my mate down and made him play it. Needless to say i had to get some wire to hold his jaw up for the journey home.

-Dave

bigbaddog
06-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Manic Miner!!:D

Freelancer was ace too.

I love space sims too. It's hard to find a good SS these days; the only things I didn't like about Freelancer was you could not use a joystick...and the fact that all ships had the same top speed...just a different turn rate. I remember the good ole' days of Wing Commander III, finally getting my hands on an Excalibur..(sigh).

GT40_GearHead
06-05-2006, 12:52 PM
me is a speed-freak so you where this is gona go right: it goes the MotoGP3 way:D :D

d_stilgar
06-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Emperor: Battle for Dune was way ahead of its time and looks better than most new RTS games today, imo.

Rise of Legends is pretty good. I got it on a whim and like it. The story is fun. Battle for Middle Earth is way better though.

leprosy
06-05-2006, 07:49 PM
for me personaly ive always been a big fps fan , i reccomend battlefield2 , half life 2 , half life 1! <(that game is so fun it never gets old :) ) and F.E.A.R., there is numerous of things to do in bf2 , fly stuff , drive stuff, blow up stuff, stuff stuff stuff lol,... yea half life 2 and half life 1 just have great story lines and the grafix on hl2 are superb. FEAR is good because you get a bit of a rush from playing it . thers alot of gore and a lot of things that can pop out and scare you , its fun :)

i reccomed the new elder scrolls : oblivion , that game is great. hands down, hours upon hours of gameplay. hope this helps you;)

maximan1
06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
DUDES maybe no one has replied to this thread for a year or 2 but I dont care.
STUBBS THE ZOMBIE; rebel without a pulse

Cevinzol
06-06-2006, 10:34 PM
You realize this thread is only 3 week old.

HackSore
06-10-2006, 08:53 PM
kotor

Agreed, and i really like KotOR II as well.

I can play them through again and again and they still keep me 100% interested.

blue73
07-02-2006, 11:00 AM
STUBBS THE ZOMBIE; rebel without a pulse

Does it really matter how old it is. As long as You have something valid to talk about it should'nt matter how old it is. So there..

And yes Stubbs is wicked..

.Maleficus.
07-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Half-Life, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Counter-Strike, CS:Source, Half-Life 2... pretty much all the Valve games are good.

DaveW
07-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Agreed, and i really like KotOR II as well.

Even the part where the patch breaks the game, so you have to uninstall and re-install, play past the bit, then re-patch in order to get past the NEXT bit? Man, if they only tested their damn patches...

I remember when lucasarts led the world in PC games.

-Dave

blue73
07-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Okay I'm about to swear...... Forza Motorsport on the cough Xbox.:eek:
There I've done it now.

simon275
07-03-2006, 02:58 AM
Ahh dont make me choose so evil.......

yes freelance was cool. So was HL2 and KOTOR II. Starseige tribes rocked my world I palyed it for a couple of years straight and played nothing else. :rolleyes:

Of all time my favorite game at the moment would have to be world of warcaft. WOW is like drugs every time you go up a level it feels so good and so you want to play more and go up another level.

Note: The only drugs I have taken is wow though so I dont really know what it is like.

blue73
07-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Anyone remember Space Harrier?

bigbaddog
07-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Anyone remember Space Harrier?

I remember it, but it seems I played it on an older console, not a PC, but I may be wrong. "Riddick" was a great sleeper game-great graphics and play, but didn't sell too well.

blue73
07-04-2006, 10:33 AM
I remember it, but it seems I played it on an older console, not a PC, but I may be wrong. "Riddick" was a great sleeper game-great graphics and play, but didn't sell too well.

Yes Riddick was good. Space Harrier was on the Genesis I think. Oh those were the days.

Omega
07-04-2006, 12:09 PM
World of Warcraft. It's constantly updated for new things to do.

And the game universe is quite big, and also going to expand in Burning Crusade.

silverdemon
07-04-2006, 12:12 PM
how about GTA San Andreas... there's now a multiplayer available, with up to 100 people on the same map... very cool!

Exley
07-04-2006, 05:11 PM
I really liked DooM 3 as well as Half-life 2 and Counter-Strike Source

Slug Toy
07-04-2006, 06:00 PM
chromehounds looks like it has the makings of a good game, but its for 360.... with any luck they might port it to pc.

blue73
07-04-2006, 08:10 PM
how about GTA San Andreas... there's now a multiplayer available, with up to 100 people on the same map... very cool!

Oh yes.Dont You think its a bit odd for Rockstar to miss an opportunity like that? Maybe Im doin modders a bit of an injustice bye sayin that but surely some Uber dude at Rockstar at a meetin somewere must've brought it up. Or maybe thats what they expected us to think!! Have any of You seen some of the forums based on "The Big Secrets in GTA SA". Good lord:rolleyes: . Ah well it's already a couple of years old and still has stayin power, the mark of some very good code monkeys!!!

Noobkiller
07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Dude here's my favorite unappeated game for me. The Legeng of Zelda: Wind Waker. The reason why most people turned away from it is because of the revolutionary cel shaded graphics it had. But when you play the game you acutally find out it has a vast world comparable to Grand Theft auto 3( Not the recent ones).

crazybillybob
07-07-2006, 02:19 PM
As an upgrade from my last Fav...Pong (most of you will have no clue)
I'd say Battle Field 2, battle front 2 and Tom clancy's Rainbow six: Raven Shield.
For FPS.
They all have strong online play, with ok single player games. They all play best when you work with a group and have strong squad cooperation. (but still fun when out alone)

For Strat games, any of the Civilizations series, Age of empires (one or two), Rise of Nations.
These three titles are the best of the Strat series (and some of the longest lived), the indeepth game play that is allowed, the replayablity and ability to be played for a long time with little to no boredom.... Makes them great games on my list.

A little foot note, I love Total Anhilation...but it's lack of updating, and few options to play online makes it in my oldy but goody catagory. I'm still very willing to play it in a lan setting (at the drop of a hat!!)

CrazyBillyBob

overdosedelusion
07-17-2006, 01:48 PM
surprised i couldnt see this as i scanned through.

Dues Ex: Invisible War! absolutely brilliant game, its lmost impossible to complete it the same way twice, be evil, be good, choose between which missions you want to go for, so many ingame opportunities for extra cash/biomods/anything you can possibly think of :D works so so so well as an adventure/fps crossover :) i'd go as far as to say its the best game i have ever seen or played in forever. it's infinite.

that.. or FarCry ;)

Luke122
07-20-2006, 03:46 PM
<nitpick>I think you mean Deus Ex</nitpick> ;)

I'm loving Need for Speed: Most Wanted. The challenge series in that game is just awesome. I went straight for the last challenge (in a 67 Camaro against heavily armored, supercharged FBI - SUV's) and it took a dozen tries, but I made it!

All of the Burnout series is great too, 3 being my favorite. Doom3 in the dark with the sound cranked will make you jump. Well, it made me jump. :D

overdosedelusion
07-21-2006, 12:13 AM

aw ghey, i always spell it wrong, i always think of duel when i try to spell it.

simon275
07-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Some old games are cool to.

Like Transport Tycoon by cris sawyer. Published in 1995. Still works on XP.

Also I cant believe this has only being said once.

Total Analiation best lan game ever. Any computer can run it.

Airbozo
07-21-2006, 11:50 PM

I'm loving Need for Speed: Most Wanted. The challenge series in that game is just awesome. I went straight for the last challenge (in a 67 Camaro against heavily armored, supercharged FBI - SUV's) and it took a dozen tries, but I made it!

All of the Burnout series is great too, 3 being my favorite. Doom3 in the dark with the sound cranked will make you jump. Well, it made me jump. :D

I must admit that after cranking doom3 up and playing until 4am a couple of nights, made for some interesting dreams...

NFS Most Wanted is the best driving game in a while. I stopped playing for a while, now I can barely keep up.

simon275
07-22-2006, 04:23 AM
Yeah games have that effect on me two. Like after playing HL2 for the first time had dreams of running through a ruined city being chased by covenant.

silverdemon
07-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Like Transport Tycoon by cris sawyer. Published in 1995. Still works on XP.

:eek: That's indeed a very very nice game, very addicting though :s

sirkillalot617
07-23-2006, 12:14 PM
max payne 2 may be showing its age but great slow mo gangsters cops tons of guns eg desert eagle pistols also tons of great mods

elder scrolls

and hl2

if you like free games to download then trackmania nations