PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card problem

HackSore
05-23-2006, 06:25 PM
So i got myself a shiney new graphics card delivered today, plugged it in, and found that nothing happened. It wont send a signal to the monitor at all.
Its fully compatible with the MOBO, i've juggled all the bios settings (which i had to do with my old video card in the machine) tried all the outputs on the card, tried 2 different monitors, and tried the card in 2 different machines with the same result.

I've tried everything i can think of, so i'm thinking that the card is faulty.

Just wanted to ask opinions here as its a damn hassle sending it back and whatnot, so does it sound like the card is faulty?

Cevinzol
05-23-2006, 06:28 PM
what kind of cards are involved?
What was the original card and what is the new one?
It would help us with ideas.

The fact that you tried it in 2 machines suggests that its faulty.

DaveW
05-23-2006, 07:05 PM
This sounds a lot like a problem i had, which i never solved. Let me know when you fix this.

-Dave

HackSore
06-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey, forgot about this thread! the card was faulty, but thanks anyway for the replies.
I was 99% sure it was a faulty card, but i took it to my friends internet cafe and tried it in one of his machines with the same results, which confimed it.
So sorry dave, unfortunatly i have no tips for fixing the problem you might be having.

synapz
06-09-2006, 11:46 AM
The moral of the story seems like if you plug a new VGA card in and it doesnt work then it also doesnt work in another machine then its fault lol

CanaBalistic
06-09-2006, 04:07 PM
here's the 4th dimentional question. did it arive faulty or did he zap it with static when he installed it?

HackSore
06-09-2006, 04:27 PM
The moral of the story seems like if you plug a new VGA card in and it doesnt work then it also doesnt work in another machine then its fault lol

True, but its just such a hassle mailing things back and having a replacement mailed to you that i just wanted to make absolutly sure it was faulty and not something my end!

synapz
06-10-2006, 02:37 AM
here's the 4th dimentional question. did it arive faulty or did he zap it with static when he installed it?

What came first the chicken or the egg? :eek:

crenn
06-10-2006, 03:57 AM
I remember reading a scientific report on that question. And the egg came first through generations of genetic mutation in eariler versions of the chicken XD

Airbozo
06-13-2006, 01:14 PM
I had a similar problem with my new graphics card and it turned out to be a cable issue. I was using a "high performance cable" that turned out to be missing one pin (been a while so I don't remeber which one), once I replaced the cable, no more problems. This seems to happen mostly when connecting to the dvi port with a hd15 adapter, since it was working fine connected directly to my old cards hd15 connector. Also don't buy cheap monitor cables without the choke on each end or your image will look fuzzy or have lines through it.

CanaBalistic
06-13-2006, 09:06 PM

I allways liked the saying "what came first the will or the way" Its more robust and truly has no asnwer. There is no way without the will to go down it. And will doesnt do anything without a way to use it 8)

As for the "choke" on the monitor cables. Its just a hunk of ferrite that blocks interferience. You can buy them and install them on any data cable. They became popular when vacume tubes went out of style. As silicon based electronics are much more acceptable to electro magnetic interferience.

Omega
06-14-2006, 03:24 AM

The single-celled organism.

tybrenis
06-14-2006, 06:48 AM

Ahahaha, roger that!

onelegout
06-14-2006, 12:59 PM
I allways liked the saying "what came first the will or the way" Its more robust and truly has no asnwer. There is no way without the will to go down it. And will doesnt do anything without a way to use it 8)

that doesn't realy work cause there can be a will without a way :D

CanaBalistic
06-14-2006, 08:52 PM
touche...

Slug Toy
06-14-2006, 11:40 PM

ahem... random, functioning organic molecules, simple enzymes if you will. they didnt serve any purpose, but they were still there.

or maybe... molecules... atoms... electrons, neutrons, and protons...

haha, organic chemistry is fun because you really start to understand how you dont need a cell to have working organic molecules, and how random it was to actually get to prokaryotes (the very first single cell organisms)... and then the higher levels of complexity.

the chicken or the egg question can be ultimately answered by defining the egg right. for instance: the egg is the set of conditions under which a chicken first develops, therefor the very first egg was the set of conditions under which the very first chicken arose... all in all you end up having the egg first. you cant argue this point easily because there was nothing before the very first chicken to willfully influence the environment... the environment where the chicken came from was a random occurence, and therefor has to have come first.

this of course is the "thoughtful" approach to the problem. any good scientist, especially biologists, know that the first chicken finds its origins with the begining of life, and life findds its origins with the birth of the planet, which also finds ITS origins with the beginning of the universe (supposedly the big bang). so if you want to put it simply... chicken or egg? neither.... an explosion came first.

Slug Toy
06-14-2006, 11:43 PM
There is no way without the will to go down it. And will doesnt do anything without a way to use it

i shall also disprove this in one elegant swoop.

of course there are ways without wills. think of it this way, if you will.

you can take a long route around a city block to go meet a friend, or you can cut your travel time in half by going through a dark alley that is crawling with crack addicts. there are definitely two ways, but only one will in this case.... the will to take the long route... unless you too are a crack addict... but even then... there will only be the one will to go through the alley and score some crack along the way.

what a mouthful.

Cevinzol
06-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Wow what a thread de-railure.
We go from a bricked graphics card to lame ass attempts at existential philosophy.

The answers:
The Chicken (qv. Darwin, Charles. The origin of species, Chapter IV: Natural Selection - 'Production of new forms')

The Will (QV. Incompatablism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incompatibilism). See the writings of Hume, Hobbes, Kant, et al)

Slug Toy
06-15-2006, 02:33 AM
well the original video card issue was solved, so i dont really think the thread has been derailed at all... its kind of meandered. still good though... its turned into something interesting, albeit different.

ill accept that wikipedia link you have there, but...

qv. Darwin, Charles. The origin of species, Chapter IV: Natural Selection - 'Production of new forms'

i dont know about this one. if that is a book written by darwin... well its kind of old. if its a book based on the darwin way of thinking... its semi-valid. problem is that natural selection isnt as simple anymore.... especially thanks to a better understanding of genetics (RNA world in particular here) and mutations.

enough about the book though... i still think the chicken-egg dispute boils down to the creation of the known universe. after having thought about it for a while, the explosion didnt come first though... a singularity came first. hopefully we all know that a singularity is like a single point in space with an impossibly large amount of mass in it, like a black hole. its almost a point of infinite mass (oh boy, infinity again) but thats besides the point... haha, point.

what would a singularity be then? the chicken or the egg? is it a thing, or an environment? i dont know where to cast my vote for this one. maybe if we have an astrophysicist here... cause im not one... only one step down.