PDA

View Full Version : LED Questions

Nox
05-24-2006, 04:58 AM
I read both of the threads regarding the LED how to's and explanations, but I had a couple questions regarding the use of LED's in a computer.
I bought (and am waiting to receive) a couple sets of Flexiglow lazer LED's from Directron, and was wondeering about "piggybacking" other led's off the power lines they use to supply the lazer led's on the system.
In otherwords, the flexiglow led's are on 3 separate wires - 1 for each LED. Could I make a simple power block and turn those 3 lines into maybe 6? or more?
Picture: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/directron_1899_1337448536

I was wondering if I could tap into the output wires, lead them into simple power blocks, thus turning the 3 output lines into 6 or more, in order to power more led's on the system without having to figure resistance for every line.

Also, which wires do I use to tap into my power supply so I can use more LED's? Im guessing the smaller connectors used for the floppy, rather than the larger ones used for the HDD. My onfusion lies in the leads coming from the larger connectors then terminating to the smaller ones - would they not hold the same voltage (12v), but just in a smaller plug?
Thanks all!

Cevinzol
05-24-2006, 05:31 AM
I read both of the threads regarding the LED how to's

Could I make a simple power block and turn those 3 lines into maybe 6? or more?

Also, which wires do I use to tap into my power supply so I can use more LED's? Im guessing the smaller connectors used for the floppy, rather than the larger ones used for the HDD.Simple but incomplete answers:
1) Yes - but you'll probably need to change the inline resistors.
2) Either connector. there are 4 wires (2 black, 1 red, 1 yellow) the color indicates the voltage.

If you re-read those threads you will get more complete answers.

Nox
05-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Thank ya sir, I'll re-read those topics and figure what im going to do - got some sleep last night and Im back on the coherent scale of things ;)

ComputerKing
06-01-2006, 08:10 AM
i think it will be good