PDA

View Full Version : What to do? (Windows 7/HDD stuff)

CrazyTeaPot
05-08-2012, 11:44 PM
So I have a 300GB Hard Drive installed into this computer. But it's only showing up as 163GB. I'm guessing when the person that I bought this laptop from installed a fresh copy of 7 that they didn't delete the old partition or some such? I'm not really sure.

Here's the problem. I have no optical drive and I don't have a copy of Win7 laying about anyways.

So what are my options? I would like to utilize the full hard drive's storage space instead of only 163GB of it as it is now. I have an external hard drive that I can copy all of the files and what-not that I want to keep, so keeping my data isn't a problem.

Is there a way to re-install the OS without a copy of Win7 that doesn't involve a CD?

OvRiDe
05-09-2012, 12:46 AM
How about just extending the partion using something like Gparted or Partion Magic?

CrazyTeaPot
05-09-2012, 01:39 AM
How about just extending the partion using something like Gparted or Partion Magic?

GParted is Linux and Partition Magic is $70. (Edit: And the Wiki says it doesn't work in Win7)

CrazyTeaPot
05-09-2012, 01:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XRnpi.png

CrazyTeaPot
05-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Well that was a simple fix! But I wonder... if I were to re-install Windows 7, could I just install it onto the old partition, boot into windows once it's done and have all of whatever I put into the other partition still be there? Or would it be inaccessible under a new install?

http://i.imgur.com/mHd37.png

OvRiDe
05-09-2012, 05:07 AM
That will work too!

But GPARTED has a live CD that you can boot off of and resize windows partitions.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

In some cases you might still need a Windows 7 disk to do a repair on the boot files due to the resize.

Also the built in Disk Manager in Windows 7 does have the option to extend and shrink partitions. Just not sure if it will allow you to resize the system disk ( C:/ )

But I wonder... if I were to re-install Windows 7, could I just install it onto the old partition, boot into windows once it's done and have all of whatever I put into the other partition still be there? Or would it be inaccessible under a new install?

As long as you don't format the other partition it will all still be there. The only problem you might have is if you use a different machine name or create a different username, you might need to take ownership of the files as the new user. Otherwise it should just work.

crenn
05-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Delete that partition (Z: ), right click on your primary partition (c: ) and select extend partition. Follow the prompts.

Also the built in Disk Manager in Windows 7 does have the option to extend and shrink partitions. Just not sure if it will allow you to resize the system disk ( C:/ ).
It will, I did it this morning for someone.

CrazyTeaPot
05-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Delete that partition (Z: ), right click on your primary partition (c: ) and select extend partition. Follow the prompts.

Yeah I tried doing that but it wouldn't allow me to extend it. Not really sure why.

Though I think I like it this way now. It's kind of handy.

SchaibleTech
05-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Moving partitions in Windows 7 can be tricky, especially if you were not the person to set it up originally.

In reality, there is a super easy fix and it could only cost you 20 bucks. Buy yourself a external dvd drive, and steal a blank dvd from someone. Download (Torrent) a NON cracked OEM version of Windows 7 (.ISO), and do a clean install. Clear all the partitions before you install and there you go. Use the serial number on the bottom of your laptop to re-activate your Windows, and boom. And If you want to be a nerd, leave a small partition for linux so you can dual boot next time because you don't have a cd drive. Or just have Ubuntu 10.04 handy on a USB drive.

**Remember to back up your files before moving or deleting partitions.

Feel free to hit me up with a PM for any questions, be glad to help you out.l

TheGreatSatan
05-09-2012, 05:31 PM

That's what I was gonna say

slaveofconvention
05-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Take a look at this for future use - if you have a friend with a Win7 Disk (or even get an .iso by "other" means) you can have a fully bootable USB stick with everything you need built in....

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/?q=node/441&page=0%2C0