PDA

View Full Version : Humm... fairly simple question

lotech
06-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Okay, i'm fully competant with hardware. However, there is one large gap in my knowledge, and that is vid cards. Now my question is thus: Im running a A8N-SLI deluxe, with 2 x 6600s(obviously SLI). However, yeah, they are aging a bit. So I want a new card to replace 'em both really. Now, i'm sorry if this is really stupid, but both Nvidea and ATI cards will be compatible with mobo right?

The thing is, looking to spend closest to £200 really. Guess thats like $350-70 nowerdays. So there is the choice really of 7800GT, but for £30 more, there is a much better performing X1800XT. Anyway, compatible or not?! Thanks!

LoTech

EDIT: Oh yeah, part of wanted the new card is also to overclock and to have proper cooling compatibilies (water wise)...

AKA_RA
06-01-2006, 06:31 PM
i believe an ati card will run in an sli board, but it wont do sli, thats for certain. nvidia cards are the only sli cards out there

monoflap
06-01-2006, 07:46 PM
You could run two nvidia cards in SLI, but in order to run two ATI cards in a Cross-fire config, you need a mobo with that chipset. (Which I dont think your mobo has) As far as upgrading, I would suggest that you buy the best single nvidia card you can afford and then add another in SLI later on. That way you wont have to ditch both of them when you want to upgrade again.

public_eyesore
06-01-2006, 07:48 PM
get a 7900gt, same price, but way better peformance, and will easily beat out the x1800

lotech
06-02-2006, 06:06 AM
Okay, maybe sticking with the 7900 is a good idea. SLI sorta pointless isn't it, not really worth the money. Although, by the time I wanna add another card the matching card will have come down in price in 6 months or whatever. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

LoTech