PDA

View Full Version : Steam cannot run, crashes

AmEv
07-30-2012, 05:12 PM
When I try to load Steam, it comes up with "Updating...", then "Cannot open /bin/SteamService.dll for writing".

Turns out, the "Steam\bin" directory is completely empty.

So I try to repair with the .msi. When I click on repair, it comes up with "Internal error 2753 steamservice.exe".

I really don't want to re-install everything.

Any thoughts?

*Wait a bit... My HDD may have just chewed on the Steam Bin directory. "chkdsk /f" is in order....

Drum Thumper
07-30-2012, 06:22 PM
The 4chan response is that you need to tri-force your hard drive. I wouldn't recommend going that route though.

What's the chkdsk show?

AmEv
07-30-2012, 08:41 PM
I haven't been able to run it.

I'm about 35% through a mass YouTube upload that started about 8 hours ago.

(PS: This one (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE093637CBF5440D4).)

PPS: "Triforce" an HDD?

d_stilgar
07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
PPS: "Triforce" an HDD?

I'm fairly sure it's a Legend of Zelda reference, unless it somehow means something else.

There's some sort of thing where you just delete a .bin somewhere and then steam re-installs it. I would look that up and try it a few times (it's taken me more than one try before) to see if it works.

Killa_Ape
07-30-2012, 10:02 PM
You can't just re-install steam in the steam folder and not re-install all your games?

AmEv
07-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Well, guys, I'll reboot my computer in a few hours (read: tomorrow), and let you know of chkdsk runs its job.

In the meantime, is there a way to find the bad sectors, and then prevent the drive from accessing them? It's a WD 2TB Green that's been giving me the fits.

Drum Thumper
07-31-2012, 12:57 AM
"Triforcing" a hard drive involves trolling a poor soul into believing that there's a way to speed up a computer by creating a batch file named triforce.bat and putting commands in it to remove the /System32 folder. And of course, you gotta restart the computer in order for the speed boost to take effect.

In other words, typical BS one would expect from 4chan.

AmEv
07-31-2012, 10:16 AM
...Part of the reason I don't go there. They are NOT a tech support site.

And we are. Somewhat.

Oh, and the chkdsk just ran, and it's working now.

Cale_Hagan
07-31-2012, 01:49 PM
When I try to load Steam, it comes up with "Updating...", then "Cannot open /bin/SteamService.dll for writing".

Turns out, the "Steam\bin" directory is completely empty.

So I try to repair with the .msi. When I click on repair, it comes up with "Internal error 2753 steamservice.exe".

I really don't want to re-install everything.

Any thoughts?

*Wait a bit... My HDD may have just chewed on the Steam Bin directory. "chkdsk /f" is in order....

HEY go to your steam folder directory, delete everything except for steam.exe, steamapps and userdata then launch again, see if it works/helps.... i have had to do this before because of issues. steamapps houses your games, so they won't be deleted, and userdata sometimes has saves.... it should reload and fix hopefully... worked for me

AmEv
07-31-2012, 02:59 PM
OhKAYYYYYY.....

Are Steam's email servers down? I can't recieve ANY emails from them. Not even after I just created a Steam Support account.

And I can't login until get the code from them.

AmEv
07-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Well, it might be Yahoo's server acting kinda stupid right now. I can't get ANY new messages, and their "help guides" say "just wait".

I just sent a message from my Gmail to my Yahoo account. It ain't coming in.

-_- Let's wait and see how long it takes to find out your inbound servers are down......

*Link of why I'm having problems. Argh. http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&page=content&id=SLN8374&locale=en_US

Cale_Hagan
08-02-2012, 02:59 AM
HEY go to your steam folder directory, delete everything except for steam.exe, steamapps and userdata then launch again, see if it works/helps.... i have had to do this before because of issues. steamapps houses your games, so they won't be deleted, and userdata sometimes has saves.... it should reload and fix hopefully... worked for me

did you try this? :crossed:

AmEv
08-02-2012, 03:11 PM
I did it, and it did help.

Yahoo's servers are working again.

However, Portal is now saying it requires the latest DirectX to run. On my XP install. Argh....

AmEv
08-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Hmmmm....

DirectX Version: Not found

Reinstall DX methinks....

Cale_Hagan
08-08-2012, 10:04 PM
I did it, and it did help.

Yahoo's servers are working again.

However, Portal is now saying it requires the latest DirectX to run. On my XP install. Argh....

YEAH! called it... =D but DX issue? :(

Hmmmm....

Reinstall DX methinks....

:up: prolly the best action. :D

TLHarrell
08-08-2012, 10:16 PM
We got it sorted last night. His DX is back up and running.

TheGreatSatan
08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
On my XP install. Argh....

XP!!!!!!!!!!

mDust
08-11-2012, 04:08 PM
XP!!!!!!!!!!

I'm running XP right now! You wanna fight about it?

Although it's only on my netbook which I bought before 7 released. It was better than Vista and still runs firefox great! If I were to upgrade the OS, it would be to some lightweight linux flavor...not Win7 or 8.

AmEv
08-11-2012, 07:59 PM
XP!!!!!!!!!!

I have no money for 7.

Unless you have a spare 7 key floating around..... >_>

Why did you think I had a P4 as a main computer...?

As for the 8GB RAM? That's what my Linux install is for.

Cale_Hagan
08-13-2012, 03:36 AM
I have no money for 7.

Unless you have a spare 7 key floating around..... >_>

Why did you think I had a P4 as a main computer...?

As for the 8GB RAM? That's what my Linux install is for.

did you know some terrible people actually developed an activation program that works flawlessly? those terrible individuals, stealing from a huge corporation and breaking the laws and such... makes me sick to my stomach. who would ever break the law and do that... not i... 8)

AmEv
08-13-2012, 12:35 PM
^Thing is, like I've said, I'm not an eyepatch-wearing kind of guy.

And Wine is working like a charm on my system. XP is just for the apps that don't run (well) under Wine.