PDA

View Full Version : New work table, 30"x72"

TLHarrell
09-03-2012, 11:29 PM
I decided that my little work table wasn't quite up to laying out the parts for a build. I also decided that it would be nice to get my table saw out of the corner and incorporate it into the table so it's out of the way yet immediately usable. I'm also considering how to build a really nice crosscut sled to mount to the table so I can cut larger pieces accurately.

Worked on this over the weekend, alternately cleaning stuff up, moving things out of the way (the ol' "I'm out of space shuffle"), chasing down sawdust and working on parts for the table.

http://ubuntuone.com/6sRa0T1QXkeBiK7IZkSDch
Yeah, the lighting sucked...

The base is a couple heavy duty adjustable saw horses from the big box home center. A couple 2x3's span the distance between the saw horses. Next on that is a sheet of 3/4" plywood, screwed to the 2x3's at 6" o.c. The top itself is cut from a piece of 24"x96"x1/2" MDF that I've had around for a while. I cut it in pieces of 24"x30-3/16", pre-drilled and countersunk, and screwed these individual panels down. If part of the work top is really damaged, it can easily be replaced. The table saw's top is just about the same thickness as the 3/4" plywood + 1/2" MDF. Just needs a little shimming to bring it up to perfectly level with the top. All edges have been eased with a file, so there's no splinters or sharp corners to snag on. Shop vac fits under the center section and out of the way.

Anybody recognize the build that's moving onto the new workspace? Time to quit shuffling it around the shop and get that out the door. :up:

Stonerboy779
09-04-2012, 01:39 AM
I really want haha it looks great :)

Fuganater
09-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Very nice. I wish I had space for a real work area.... :(