PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need to Upgrade my Memory?

DemonDragonJ
10-17-2012, 11:12 PM
My computer currently has 4 gigabytes of memory, but I wish to upgrade that to 8 gigabytes of memory. When I asked for advice for memory modules on another forum, the other users there said that if my computer was not using 100 percent, or close to 100 percent, of its current memory, there would be no reason to upgrade to a higher capacity.

After havign received that advice, I checked my computer's memory usage with Windows' Resource Monitor, and saw that my computer uses only 32 percent of its memory, which is below even 50 percent, let alone 100 percent. Therefore, would upgrading to 8 gigabytes of memory be a pointless action? What advice can anyone else here offer?

TLHarrell
10-18-2012, 12:41 AM
What makes you think you need 8GB of RAM? Is the system running slow? What software are you using? What OS?

DemonDragonJ
10-18-2012, 01:21 AM
What makes you think you need 8GB of RAM? Is the system running slow? What software are you using? What OS?

My current computer is running Windows 7, 64-bit, and I have encountered no major problems with it at all since I assembled it. The slowest component of my system is its mechanical hard drive, but I shall eventually upgrade to a solid-state drive when I can afford to do so, and every other component of the system functions perfectly well for my uses, so it is highly possible, and even likely, that I do not need to upgrade the memory of my computer. I simply noticed that Newegg.com was offering a promo code for discounts on desktop computer memory, notably on this product, here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460&name=Desktop-Memory), and I was wondering if I should take advantage of that discount while it still is being offered.

Fuganater
10-18-2012, 02:53 AM
Specs of your system?

You should fill out the "my System" section in your profile.

DemonDragonJ
10-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Specs of your system?

You should fill out the "my System" section in your profile.

I have entered that information into my profile, but I forgot to select the option to display it publicly, so I now have changed that setting, and you should be able to view it.

Fuganater
10-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Your proc is probably your bottleneck.

DemonDragonJ
10-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Your proc is probably your bottleneck.

Why do you say that? How could my processor be a greater bottleneck than my mechanical hard drive?

mDust
10-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Why do you say that? How could my processor be a greater bottleneck than my mechanical hard drive?

All storage bottlenecks modern PC processors...even SSDs and RAM drives. Just get the fastest/largest storage medium you feel comfortable shelling out for.

What do you typically do on this computer? 4GB is plenty for almost anything. I have 8GB in mine because I converted half of it to a RAM drive. While the RAM drive is operating, I only have 4GB available to the system. Again, it's plenty.

The only reason I would ever need more than 8GB of RAM in my PC is for a larger RAM drive (which I'm considering :devious:) or simply because 10 years has elapsed from the date of this post.

AmEv
10-18-2012, 09:57 PM
^Or rendering.

DemonDragonJ
10-19-2012, 12:48 AM
What do you typically do on this computer? 4GB is plenty for almost anything. I have 8GB in mine because I converted half of it to a RAM drive. While the RAM drive is operating, I only have 4GB available to the system. Again, it's plenty.

I use my computer for a number of tasks: word processing, internet browsing, music and movies (to the point that I use it for those tasks more than I use a television set or radio receiver for them), and occasional gaming, although I do not have any new games; the most recent games that I have played are Diablo II and Warcraft III, which are now both more than a decade old. All my other games are emulated, mostly for DOS, NES, and Game Boy, and therefore do not require extremely powerful hardware.

I am not certain about converting my memory into a RAM drive, mostly because I am unfamiliar with the procedure for doing so, and I also do not need such a drive at this moment. I suppose that the best option for me currently is to simply keep my computer as it is now, and upgrade when I am able to afford doing so. I shall definitely upgrade to faster memory (1,866 megahertz at minimum), and likely upgrade from 4 to 8 gigabytes as an incidental upgrade, in the case that I wish to convert some of that memory into a RAM drive.

mDust
10-20-2012, 09:16 AM
I use my computer for a number of tasks: word processing, internet browsing, music and movies (to the point that I use it for those tasks more than I use a television set or radio receiver for them), and occasional gaming, although I do not have any new games; the most recent games that I have played are Diablo II and Warcraft III, which are now both more than a decade old. All my other games are emulated, mostly for DOS, NES, and Game Boy, and therefore do not require extremely powerful hardware.

I am not certain about converting my memory into a RAM drive, mostly because I am unfamiliar with the procedure for doing so, and I also do not need such a drive at this moment. I suppose that the best option for me currently is to simply keep my computer as it is now, and upgrade when I am able to afford doing so. I shall definitely upgrade to faster memory (1,866 megahertz at minimum), and likely upgrade from 4 to 8 gigabytes as an incidental upgrade, in the case that I wish to convert some of that memory into a RAM drive.

I doubt you are utilizing even 2GB of RAM. You could safely experiment with a 1GB RAM drive now (leaving 3GB for the system). Here (http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk) is a program that will let you create one up to 4GB for free. I've used it for a few years and it works great. I'm sure you'll be surprised at how easy it is. Make sure to run crystal disk or something on your HDD and then compare it to the RAM drive!

Here's my netbook's HDD and RAM drive:
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/9392/cvsr.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/cvsr.jpg/)
Quite an improvement, but still not as fast as a good SSD.

slaveofconvention
10-20-2012, 06:34 PM
More memory is always good but the truth of the matter is, with the uses you listed, you'll probably see very little improvement going from 4 to 8 GB. I personally have 16GB in my main pc, and my last machine had 8 and I can't honestly say I've ever needed it - I just put it in as when I upgraded, I was going from DDR2 to DDR3 and the RAM was scary cheap at the time.

If you can add extra memory while memory prices are so low, it might be a good idea for futureproofing but if you have to take out the existing memory and buy all new then it's probably not worth spending the money. If you have spare memory slots, then maybe, if not, then probably not....