PDA

View Full Version : Need a new LAN game for the summer

bigbaddog
06-09-2006, 09:45 AM
My son is home for the summer and I need advice for a good LAN game for this summer that he, my daughter and myself can play on our lan at home. We have played Freelancer (I love space sims) and UT 2004 in the past and I would love something differrent-but I'm an old man and I am not up to date on the latest games (how old? I remember when Pong first came out:eek: ). Anyways, any advice will be appreciated.

d_stilgar
06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
What kind of game are you looking for? If brand new I might suggest LOTR:Battle for middle earth. Dune 2000 is also good. For first person shooters there is always Half-life2, which is pretty much the best ever.

Rankenphile
06-09-2006, 12:21 PM
If you like RTS games, Warhammer: Dawn of War is a great LAN game. If you're playing with younger kids (or older, heck - it's a great game), the Worms series is a hoot and a half. FEAR and HL2 mods are both great for multiplayer. Painkiller is great for straight-up deathmatches. And the Xmen Legends games offer pretty fun co-op, but I would recommend getting a game pad for them.

DaveW
06-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Holy hell is worms fun with mates.

-Dave

crenn
06-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Hmmm..... Halo can also be fun, but that is slightly old..... but the students at my school are trying to have a 'mini' lan party at school (playing Halo only).... so far.... not good.

PauL
06-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Battlefield 2 for the win!

guitar.child
06-14-2006, 05:52 AM
counter strike, dawn of war, ut2004 w/ mods, diablo 2, battlefront 2

Eruhat
06-28-2006, 05:53 PM
A good LAN game for only a few people for only a about an hour is "Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix". A great LAN game for a large LAN party (6+ people) would probably be "Return to Castle Wolfenstein".

Luke122
07-20-2006, 03:42 PM
I think Guitar.child nailed this one..

Diablo 2.

'nuff said. :D

haha49
08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Age of empires 2
Comand and Concer Genrals (zero hour)
Rise of Nations

theres nothing like building a big base then curshing other people

personaly i like age of empires 2 as you can spend all day building a base only to have some one sit on the out side and start bombing you..

Anospa
08-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Two of the most fun games I've played, a bit older now, and not as active, but online community was great for them.

Silenced_Coyote
08-15-2006, 04:15 PM
As mentioned earlier, Age of Empires 2 is fun. They also of Age of Mythology and an expansion that includes the Titan gods if you are interested in mythology. Choosing different gods to worship as you advance through the ages is an element I thought was unique (in a good way).

I would recommend Battlefield 2 also. Though the release of these games is after summer, they are looking really good: Battlefield 2142 and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

By the way, that is so awesome that your family plays video games together, even your daughter. If I have a family some day, I hope my kids enjoy games as much as I do (hopefully the wife too:D ).

Razors Edge
08-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Depends on the game.

Shooting + killing = Half Life 2 with coutner-strike
Stratagey = Command And Conquer The First Decard (12 games)
MORPG = Guild Wars
Racing = Need For Speed Most Wanted (sopports Lan)
Adventure = uhhh?

So yeah

.Maleficus.
08-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a great game too.