PDA

View Full Version : need help monitoring temperatures

silverdemon
06-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi I want to monitor the temperatures of my processor because I'm planning to use a new heatsink. I'm now using a AMD-K6 II 500 MHz processor with standard cooling (alu heatsink with 5 cm fan) but I'm running it in a server and want it more silent, so I want to put on a thermaltake volcano 7+ heatsink on it... And I want to try it without a fan... but obviously I want to know how hot my processor gets...

Only problem is... I don't know what kind of motherboard I have :(
All I know is that it is a socket 7 Motherboard, and I know the numberthingies on the north and southbridge: VT8501 (north) and VTB2C686A (south)...
I've tried google to find out what kind of board it is, but I just can't find it :(

If someone could help me find a tool which is capable of monitoring temperatures (preferably a windows tool) that would be very helpfull :)

AKA_RA
06-11-2006, 05:28 PM
you should look for a model number on the board itself if oyu wanna find out what it is, and who made it. first, before even going into windows, i woould check your bios, there should be a section that will monitor your system temps. but of course you cant see how it will react with full load, but if it can't stand being idle without over heating then you dont need to test it in windows. but as for windows programs, i would suggest getting motherboard monitor and see if itll work. considering the age of the motherboard, im not sure if itll work or not, but its worth a shot.

EDIT: is this your board by chance, it looks similar.

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/gigabyte/GA-5VMM.htm

crenn
06-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Use a program called SpeedFan, it should be able to tell you a lot, including tempretures.

silverdemon
06-12-2006, 03:46 AM
Thnx a lot crenn, I downloaded the SpeedFan thing and it ... well ... kinda works...
When I first started it up it actually read some temperatures...
But if I have to trust this program I might have a big problem (see screenshot)
I will try to configure some things, maybe it'll work properly then...

edit: [screenshot is in post #6, hosting went wrong...]

Now I'll have to find out what kind of Motherboard it is :S
and there are so many letters on my mobo :( I don't know where to start... :(

AKA_RA
06-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Screenshot? All i see is something from mijnalbum.nl

silverdemon
06-12-2006, 06:36 AM
this should do it:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/mschumacher/casemod/speedfan1.PNG

nil8
06-12-2006, 09:39 AM
144 sounds way off compared to your other temps.

33,36 that looks about right.

That's a little warm for hard drives.

Passive cooling isn't suggested for a processor. Even more so for one that's going to be under any load.

I would suggest going on ebay and finding something, or modifying a bigger heatsink and putting an 80mm fan on it. It's how I got a p2 box up and running without heat issues.

silverdemon
06-12-2006, 10:46 AM
I don't think heat will be a problem, I'm using the AMD K6 II 500 MHz which isn't really very fast... and I believe these processors are known for their low heat-emission...
I will be running it in a file server in my home network, sow it won't have very much to do...
My problem is noise, I want to have a silent server... I asked for a good heatsink (+fan) in another thread and placed a bid on one on ebay...
I'm going to buy the volcano 7+ from thermaltake which comes with a nice fan, but I want to try to do without the fan so it produces even less noise...
That's why I want to monitor the temperatures of my processor, when it does heat up to much I will use the fan on the volcano...

BTW 33 degrees is not very warm I think, considering that it's about 30 degrees outside temperature right now ;-)

FyR
06-12-2006, 11:00 AM
On mine i have those same two read outs (the 100degrees+ ones) i think its just a bug in the program where it detects sensor that isnt there, i wouldnt worry too much. You right, your HDD temperatures are fine, mine are about 39, check your manufacturers web site to be sure but mine says around 40degrees is average running temp. If you need to find out which temperature on speedfan is your CPU run a program called prime95 for a few minutes, it will run your CPU at full whack which will make it heat up, watch the temps and whichever one heats up the quickest then thats you CPU.

If you didnt already know speedfan lets you setup events, like warning noises if your temos get to hot. It can even execute programs on your behalf, like a full system shutdown.

Hope this helps you.

Paul

silverdemon
06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Thnx Paul,
I used windows calculator to get 100% CPU usage (just push the n! button after you entered a big number...) but after some minutes my temperatures were still not changed, so I guess the extremly high values are for my CPU, so I can't read them with this version of this tool.. will try to find an older version or something to see if that will work...
any other suggestions are also very welcome...