PDA

View Full Version : My First Big Project

Vertigo
06-11-2006, 08:57 PM
My idea is to make a dual screen gaming PC based around the theme of Dante's Inferno. Working Title: Virgil. My idea is to modify the door that covers the drives into the Door to Hell with "Abandon all hope ye who enter here." inscribed in it's face, etc. My plan is to sculpt scenes from The Inferno, and it's characters all over the case. Also, sculpting a stylized flame pattern for the base. So, for now I'm researching some art related directly to various printings of Dante's work. As well as some Douglas Barlowe and H.R. Gieger. I plan on getting the case this week, a pretty roomy Antec case I found that fits my plans. Any thoughts before I get to work on this would be appreciated.

EDIT:
I'm also slightly torn on some small details, for instance in the original English translation of the Inferno, H.F.Cary used the phrase "All hope abandon ye who enter here." however, the phrase "Abandon all hope ye who enter here." is more common, and immediately identifiable. Thoughts?

vidas7de7jesus7
06-11-2006, 09:25 PM
this may seem silly, but if you haven't actually read the book, do. You sound like a knowledgable person who has done in depth studies on it, so more power to you. It's an interesting book. I like the idea. It's unique and based upon classic literature. Very nice. And don't forget to do the giants. And the people buried in pots. Very fun.

Slug Toy
06-11-2006, 10:55 PM
i have no idea what you're talking about, but i have one suggestion.

you should use the quote "all hope abandon ye who enter here" for two reasons.

1. it takes a minute to understand it
2. its slightly cryptic and in my mind it means that past a threshold, HOPE abandons YOU, and you have no control over it. im sure that is the way it was meant to be... sounds almost shakespearean to me... although from the name im gettin a greek vibe.

Cevinzol
06-12-2006, 06:23 AM
"All hope abandon ye who enter here." however, the phrase "Abandon all hope ye who enter here." is more common, and immediately identifiable. Thoughts?

"All Those who enter leave hope behind" - sign over the outhouse door :D

Vertigo
06-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I found some new reference material, it turns out one of my favorite artists has put together 2 books of art based on the inferno.

Barlowe's Inferno (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1883398363/002-3849794-7279264?v=glance&n=283155)
Brushfire (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1883398509/ref=pd_bxgy_img_b/002-3849794-7279264?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

So, I just ordered the books, I would've gotten them anyway. But I have a feeling these are going to end up being a big part in this mod.