PDA

View Full Version : X700 oc'd

CanaBalistic
06-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Hey guys i just got the new omega driver and ATT. I've overclocked my X700 from stock 400/500 to 426/531

Is this a reasonable overclock? I would imagine it is.

nil8
06-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Run ATITool, let it look for errors for about 8 hours. It will pop up with problems if you're running too hot.

That's not a big oc and completely reasonable.

Are you using a stock cooler or something else?

I would suggest zalman. I have a radeon 9250 oc'ed 80 mhz with it.

CanaBalistic
06-12-2006, 10:22 PM
I am running it with the stock cooler but i also have a reversed slot blower (blows air in to the vid card).

What about the memory? I didnt get a single error reported by tray tools while overclocking the mem. I stoped at the same clock as the gpu for saftey reasons.

While rinning the "find max" test for the gpu. My screen went all ****ed up and showed verticle bars. I had to force restart. I believe this to mean it was at an unreasonable clock? It was at 431MHz and i did this before touching the mem clock.

Now that the mem has been turned up a notch do you think i would get a higer clock from the gpu?

Should i push the mem? Will there be a substantial gain from memory oc'ing

nil8
06-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Not really. There's no real reason to push your mem higher than your gpu.

Get rid of the stock cooler and you can push much farther. Stock coolers are designed to support very little above their current clock. Installing a new cooler on a vid card isn't difficult and is worth the investment if you like your hardware and don't swap it out all the time.

The best way to do the max test is to set your memory to default and find your gpu max, then do the same for the mem with the gpu set to default, then run mem about 5% lower than gpu. Do an artifact test for 2 hours and see if you overheat or crash. If you do, keep stepping both down until you're stable for 2 hours and then go for 8.

CanaBalistic
06-12-2006, 11:14 PM
one other question about testing. Should i just let the test run? last time it screwed up at 431MHz. Is it still testing in the background? Should i dismiss this or turn it off?
Im going to check into better cooling. I'd like water cooling but thats a bit pricey. The local store carries zalamns coolers but they are roughly $50-80.

nil8
06-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Watercooling is kinda pricey. Check xoxide, newegg, etc for cheaper.

Let it test at a stable level.

CanaBalistic
06-13-2006, 01:19 AM
How exactly should i run the "find max" test? Do i have to watch it untill it says it found artifacts? or untill my screen messes up? or? or?

dgrmkrp
06-13-2006, 06:08 AM
...i don't have an x700 (i would like one though).. i was very impressed by the ATT utility, although i miss some features i had on the nvidia board.. i just went away for a while and allowed ATT to determine the max settings.. :) a few hours :) i got +40MHz on the GPU and +140 on the mem.. :) with stock cooling :)