PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT/6800 parts question

DeathCrush
06-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Greetings! i have a question regarding 6600GTs and 6800s. a while back i had to replace my 6600GT because the chip on it went bad. i ended up getting a nice 6800 that works just fine. however when i still had my 6600GT, i put a really nice cooler on it (Zalman VF-700 CU cooler).

unfortunately now the Zalman is just sitting there not being used and i'd like to put it on my 6800. i know i can get it to fit, however there is the small problem that both cards were AGP and have the extra chip that lets the AGP bus talk to the card (the HSI chip). my 6600GT came with the little heatsink on that chip but my 6800 has a large one-piece heatsink that covers both the GPU and the HSI chip. would it be possible to just use the same HSI heatsink that came on my 6600GT on the 6800? thanks a ton. i know Zalman makes an AGP/HSI heatsink that you can use for this exact purpose, but if the one i already have on the 6600GT is the same thing i'd rather just use it.

AKA_RA
06-16-2006, 06:02 PM
you could prolly use the small heatsink from the 6600gt on the 6800. if theres no mounting holes, or if theyre for some reason in a differant place, you could prolly use thermal tape or acrtic silver thermal adhesive, although the adhesive is pretty much gonna stick that heatsink there forever

monoflap
06-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Well, you're probably going to have to take off whatever cooling devices that were on there for the gpu and ram. That Zalman cooler should have come with heatsinks to put on the ram and obviosly the fan cools everything else so if something is blocking it you will probably have to take it off. I dont know how you would get the ramsinks off the old card though, you might have to buy new ones or I think the better way to go is to just buy a new cooler. There is a newer version of what you have that is smaller and has better cooling. Hope this helped a little and good luck! :) Sry for the run-ons.