PDA

View Full Version : TONS of reviews from Power Packed PC

tybrenis
06-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that we have been busy at Power Packed PC! We have a LOT of new reviews up, so check em out at http://www.powerpackedpc.com

Also, I am still looking for more writers. Send me an email or talk to me on MSN at tylerprocks@hotmail.com, we are always looking for more people to write reviews and guides, even if you have no prior experience. Rewards can be great, and it is a fun time.

Thanks everyone, enjoy!

Aero
06-18-2006, 08:04 PM
cool, no more yellow.

Feel free to through any of my guides up if you want, just follow the sig :p.

Also I was wondering if you were working on a different theme or something, the white is still a bit hard on the eyes.

Finally I might be interested in writing some stuff for your site. I'll hit ya up on MSN.

tybrenis
06-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah, the yellow orange was hideous, it really needed a new look. I am still improving some design features and re-doing grahpics, but I think that for now, it will remain white. I know it's a bit harsh, but I wanted a really sterile, industrial look to it.

I would love for you to write some articles for us, people are signing on like crazy, and you would make an excellent addition to the crew. Pretty soon we are going to get some pretty good stuff sponsored. I'll hit you up on MSN whenever you come on next.

I'll start putting up your guides. Do I have your permission to edit them (for spelling, adding pictures, grouping into pages, etc.)?

BTW, I added two more guides to the site if any one wants to read about airbrushing.

Scotty
06-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I suppose i could work a theme out for you mate, get the graphics done, perhaps we should have a poll asking which color people would prefer the site to be in.

and nearly got my PSU guide done,m and the airbrushing one is useful as anything

ScottY

Omega
06-20-2006, 04:17 PM
I really like the new look, the crisp clean white with the strong grey-ish borders and the white and oragne PPPC logo.

tybrenis
06-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks Omega, I like the new look too. The old was horrendous, so I really wanted a new, crisp clean start.

Crimson13
06-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I really like the new look, the crisp clean white with the strong grey-ish borders and the white and oragne PPPC logo.

i agree

@ tybrenis: i should have the light booth done in a day or two

tybrenis
06-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Sweet, Crimson! I look forward to seeing it done

MrSlacker
06-20-2006, 10:49 PM
That white makes my eyes hurt!!!

Omega
06-21-2006, 01:23 AM

Then change your moniter settings and make it darker.

Scotty
06-21-2006, 07:43 AM

good idea...

Finished my Akasa PSU review and e-mailed it so that should be up soo guys, got to reply to FREECOM later today get some products to review:p

MrSlacker
06-21-2006, 08:20 AM
or may be change those horrible colors...

tybrenis
06-21-2006, 08:55 AM
or may be change those horrible colors...

Or maybe be quiet and let us run the site how we would like to.

MrSlacker
06-21-2006, 12:07 PM
or may be you should go to ur own forums and talk about it there?

Scotty
06-21-2006, 01:16 PM
or may be you should go to ur own forums and talk about it there?

eh... the forums here are in white so whats the problem...

the forums arn't exactly 'active' at the moment only a few members anyway, most of them need to be deleted (ceratain reasons)i just cant do it

MrSlacker
06-21-2006, 01:45 PM
eh... the forums here are in white so whats the problem...

the forums arn't exactly 'active' at the moment only a few members anyway, most of them need to be deleted (ceratain reasons)i just cant do it
they are not purly white here. they also have greys and reds... yours is just white..

Scotty
06-21-2006, 02:13 PM
...so...orange and grey is white..what ya know...

Aero
06-21-2006, 02:16 PM

*buzzzz* wrong answer mate

Your trying to start up a community and a website. To do this you need 2 things, a website and people. You have the website. Now you need the people, which is much harder than the website. This is because the number of people you have is based on 2 things, the design and attractiveness of your website, and the politeness of your moderators/admins or the atmosphere of you community. I'm afraid that currently your website is a bit lacking in design (phpnuke? come on man.), and telling someone "let us run the site how we would like to" isn't winning any politeness awards. Apparently you have never heard of the saying "the customer is always right". Because after all, a website is like a business, you try to attract people with advertisements to come visit your store (website), and to buy your product (or read articles/worklogs/reviews...). And you my friend just essentially told a customer to f*** off.

Now thats a bad business plan.

MrSlacker
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
*buzzzz* wrong answer mate

Your trying to start up a community and a website. To do this you need 2 things, a website and people. You have the website. Now you need the people, which is much harder than the website. This is because the number of people you have is based on 2 things, the design and attractiveness of your website, and the politeness of your moderators/admins or the atmosphere of you community. I'm afraid that currently your website is a bit lacking in design (phpnuke? come on man.), and telling someone "let us run the site how we would like to" isn't winning any politeness awards. Apparently you have never heard of the saying "the customer is always right". Because after all, a website is like a business, you try to attract people with advertisements to come visit your store (website), and to buy your product (or read articles/worklogs/reviews...). And you my friend just essentially told a customer to f*** off.

Now thats a bad business plan.
Couldnt agree with it more. I think this 14 year old likes to act like a big man online. Your site has "Made by a 14 year old" written all over it... not to mention not a single link on ur site works.

Scotty
06-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Aero I agree, but as we can see it there isn't anything wrong with the scheme, it is up to the admins mods to keep the site in order and if they were to discuss that the coulour scheme works or not thats up to them, tybrenis put his time into the site and hes the one whos put it that way then thats the way he likes it. he does have the final say at the end of the day

Couldnt agree with it more. I think this 14 year old likes to act like a big man online. Your site has "Made by a 14 year old" written all over it... not to mention not a single link on ur site works.

What links dont work? or is your pc just stupid, some of the links in the forums dont work, but the link on the site do. At the same time i can't see anything that says this site is made by a 14 year old, its well made and works. if it didn't work thats something totaly different, but its fine.

I dont see you moaning about anything else, as i can see it your having a go at him, its up to him how HIS site is run, everyone can have a say and comment on something if 10 people hate something then something would be done, where as if 1 person doesn't like it and 3 people do theres more people who like the colours. At the moment you are the only one making a scene over the colours most peopledon't have a problem. Just because its not in your colours doesn't mean every one hates it.

How do you cope wrting things in programsthey have white backgrounds and black text as standard usually.

Leave it be.

MrSlacker
06-21-2006, 03:14 PM
When you go to reviews and click on any review except the "Logisys Computer All Clear Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard" links are dead. The site itself looks half finished... it feels very empty

Scotty
06-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Found the reason why first off tyler has only just catagorized the reviews the address is missin a / between com and modules it is currently .commodules it should have .com/modules ill see if i can fix them

edit:all working now, well for me atleast, thanks for the heads up didn't notice those ones wern't working.

tybrenis
06-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Perhaps the reason that it looks like a 14 year old made it is that a 14 year old did make it. Sure, PHP-Nuke isn't all that advanced or amazing. But it is easy to update, installs and upgrades easily, and is free. I'm a 14 year old, and I have a moderately succesfull website.

What are you? Your just someone older than me that has nothing better to do than pick on a 14 year old that you don't even know. And you know whats even funnier? Your pushing around little kids because you don't like their website. Honestly... maybe we need to get a better website, but you, sir, need to get a life and leave people alone.

I don't think any one on here appreciates the public, personal attacks. So, please, let it be, or at least be kind enough to PM me with your problems. Things are resolved a lot easier if you would just talk to people about your problems - not try to publicly humiliate them.

Thanks.

MrSlacker
06-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I have a life, thats why i only come on these boards once in a while. Instead of telling me to shut up, you should have explained WHY you are using the colors...

Scotty
06-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah, the yellow orange was hideous, it really needed a new look. I am still improving some design features and re-doing grahpics, but I think that for now, it will remain white. I know it's a bit harsh, but I wanted a really sterile, industrial look to it.

urh he has explained 3rd post...

and theres 6th post too, dont you read.

tybrenis
06-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks scotty. So, tell me Mr. Slacker, are you having fun trying (and failing) to bully little kids?

Aero
06-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Ty, it's not that the site is run by a 14 year old thats the problem. Its the fact that it looks like it is. I have been atleast helping with design since I was 15, and my friend has been coding/designing them since he was 14. A quick search on google for "phpnuke" willnot only bring up the phpnuke.org site, but sites for nuke themes. They are premade layouts that we recommend you try for a bit more professional look. The site now is just alittle plain. Some more custom graphics and different color scheme could really help with getting people to the site. Perhaps something that doesn't hurt the eyes as much no matter what your computer screen brightness is. If you need help with the graphics let me know. And remember, just because you are 14 doesn't mean that everyone on the internet needs to know you are. And there are older people who wouldn't mind giving you a hand to help make your site seem more professional.

Also , Mr. Slacker started out saying the same thing I did,

It wasn't until Omega told him to change his monitor that this really got out of hand. We were both just trying to let you know that your site, while better than the orange, still could use some work before it becomes anything great.

tybrenis
06-21-2006, 04:38 PM
I appreciate it Aero, I am certainly looking into it. I for one, however, like the look of the site, and have made it to look that way for a reason. It's not like I didn't think about how it looks or am incapable of changing it - maybe I just don't want to right now.

Scotty
06-21-2006, 05:12 PM
When he need any graphical work doing ill most probabbly be doing it, although only 15 i am pretty good with hpotoshop cs2, and ive just got a copy of macromedia flash! which if i can use will sure help the site graphically alot! if i just nknew how it works... time to find some tutorials.

teh site wll probably be done once evey thing is sorted links guides etc, if i can sort the forums out, soon enough i can sort those out. although the code neeeds to be edited to allow for 2 admins.

Omega
06-21-2006, 10:25 PM
It wasn't until Omega told him to change his monitor that this really got out of hand.

I can see why you say this and I would also like to state that I in no way intended for that to be a personal attack against anybody, But quite frankly, I can't access the things to make the site look different (and if I could, I wouldn't without Ty's permission).

Anywho, This (http://www.thebornotaku.co.nr) website is run by a 15 year old. (Yes, I realize that this is my website and I am not posting it to promote it, but rather for an example of how you can retain a simple design and still look good (even though that's an opinionated statement))

Anywho, this is just redicilous. But I stand by my statements, If Ty won't change the site colors, either turn down the brightness on your moniter, or don't view the site. I mean this in the least offensive possible way.

Scotty
06-24-2006, 11:47 AM
A new Review is up now by me, Akasa PaxPower 400W PSU Review can be found here (http://powerpackedpc.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=28)

MrSlacker
06-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I recomend using a back drop for your pics. Or atleast somewhere where all you can see is the product and the background.. no family pictures, bathrooms, dogs, little brothers etc. you get the picture ;)

Omega
06-24-2006, 11:25 PM
I recomend using a back drop for your pics. Or atleast somewhere where all you can see is the product and the background.. no family pictures, bathrooms, dogs, little brothers etc. you get the picture ;)

They could also do what I do and just photoshop it out -- that's what I did for my review of the Cooler Master Cavalier, which hasn't moved from under my desk since the last LAN party about a month ago.

MrSlacker
06-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Back drop is much more proffesional. You can see the quality of pics we get when using backdrop in any of the BoxGods reviews.

Omega
06-25-2006, 12:37 AM
Back drop is much more proffesional. You can see the quality of pics we get when using backdrop in any of the BoxGods reviews.

Yeah, I know.

I was just suggesting it for those who don't have a white background or a studio.

Hell, If I had enough cardboard and white paint, I'd make a little photo-booth thingy. Big enough for, say, 3 full towers with a foot in between, at a 3/4ths angle, and still have only white in the background.

MrSlacker
06-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I know.

I was just suggesting it for those who don't have a white background or a studio.

Hell, If I had enough cardboard and white paint, I'd make a little photo-booth thingy. Big enough for, say, 3 full towers with a foot in between, at a 3/4ths angle, and still have only white in the background.
For that you will need a very big room or a camera with VERY wide angle.

Omega
06-25-2006, 12:51 AM
For that you will need a very big room or a camera with VERY wide angle.

That's why I said i wanted a display that big, so that I don't have to worry about anything going off the edge.

Not that I would take pictures of anythign larger than a single full ATX tower case, anyways.

MrSlacker
06-25-2006, 01:06 AM
That's why I said i wanted a display that big
huh?

Omega
06-25-2006, 01:10 AM
huh?

Let me elaborate -- If I would need a wide angle lens or a big room to get the whole display, then I don't have to worry about anything off the display being shown in normal shots.

Now do you comprehend?

MrSlacker
06-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Let me elaborate -- If I would need a wide angle lens or a big room to get the whole display, then I don't have to worry about anything off the display being shown in normal shots.

Now do you comprehend?
gotcha... i just use a white sheet and set my white balance to that sheet, that way sheet is perfect white.

Omega
06-25-2006, 03:16 AM
gotcha... i just use a white sheet and set my white balance to that sheet, that way sheet is perfect white.

Hey hey hey -- I think I might have enough cardboard for that kind of display I was thinking about. Now if only I can get some white paint...

Hmm.

Scotty
06-25-2006, 06:41 AM
I see what you mean about using a backdrop, ill do that from now on or photoshop it, depending on what ever is easier.

FREECOM stuff should be here monday yay

crazybillybob
06-27-2006, 05:41 PM
One bit of advice. Don't add pages to your reviews just to make them look longer. In the PSU review pages 1-4 are good, then the next few pages, are all about 1/3 of a page. I agree that the conclusion and your rating banner can have there own page. But combining the others wouldn't hurt anything. I'm not trying to upset you all, it was a fair review, just needed a little layout work. I think that you'll do better on the next one.

as for the contravery of the white background...it's ok, but even having a ghosted pattern of light grey (to keep with your color scheme) whould help brakeup the white and cut down on eye strain (us old guys have a hard time reading when we have to strain...:) ) But it is a huge improvement over the first rev of the site. Keep it up you get soon (just remeber even if someone tells you some thing that upsets you about the site, take the time to look at it....they may help you see an issue you didn't notice before....by all means if it's said in a rude manner your allowed to be pissed, but still look cause odds are someone else is thinking the same thing they're just to polite to tell you.)

As I said your doing a good job, so don't take this as knocking your site, there are just a few things that you can do to make it better!!!

Humbily submitted by
CrazyBillyBob..... Your friendly neighborhood Redneck.....

Scotty
06-28-2006, 10:29 AM
cheres i agree some of the pages in the reviews are a bit short, i did try to make them longer but couldn't think, ill do better on the two im working on now, thanks for te help mate

.jrauck
07-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Like I said I also can help if ya need me. Ive been doing PS since I was 13 and now im almost 16 so a few years of it made me pretty good. I also have been doing html for a while so if you need any help with that(if you have anything in html). Im a beginner at html but comming up here soon i will be taking a class to further my expertise with website templates/splicing/coding.

Scotty
07-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey there, mate i PM'd you ;)

Scotty
07-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Sorry for double post. A new Review is up Freecom's ToughDrive XXS 6GB reviewed by me thanks to Freecom for supplying the product

Review can be found here (http://powerpackedpc.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30)

MrSlacker
07-13-2006, 09:12 PM
lol when u take pics for review, atleast streighten out ur sheets

Omega
07-13-2006, 11:33 PM
what the crap, scott?

you gave it an 8 and recommended even though it's a little piece of crap?

Scotty
07-14-2006, 03:03 AM
well it isn't a piece of crap its very innovative and well designed, Freecom did a good job. i personally think its great but so many things let it down, the software isn't really that important but it sucks. Loads of people have seen it and want one so perhaps i was a little generous but i still recommend it

MrSlacker
07-14-2006, 10:07 AM
If he says in review that it sucks, company wont send him anything again... so he needs to suck up

Scotty
07-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Yeah, lol. the guy i mailed said that some of the negative comments wern't really appreiated, hell im honest if i dont be honest then the review wont be much good to people will it.

MrSlacker
07-14-2006, 05:54 PM
so what happened to honest reviews? if u suck up to companies, there is NO point in reading ur reviews... If i want to read bunch of BS, i can just read Tom's Crapware

Scotty
07-15-2006, 05:39 AM
But i said i am being honest in my reviews... wouldn't be saying that the software was utter bull if was sucking up

DaveW
07-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Watch it you two.

I got me eyes on you...

-Dave

Scotty
07-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Okay dave *hides so dave can't see me*

MrSlacker
07-16-2006, 05:48 PM
What did I do? :?

Omega
07-17-2006, 12:07 AM
One thing I do not believe in is milking sacred cows or shoveling bull****.

DaveW
07-17-2006, 07:52 AM
What did I do?

Nothing. Let's keep it that way ;)

-Dave