PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new psu?

.jrauck
06-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Well im running an amd 3500+ with a video card, 3 fans, 2 cd drives, 2 hard drives. I am using 400 watt power supply do I need another one with higher voltage or am I going to be able to make it?

Cevinzol
06-19-2006, 12:14 AM
you're fine atm.
unless you're going to add a bunch of lights or something

AKA_RA
06-19-2006, 12:19 AM
if youre just running a 6800GS then Cev is right. you should be fine with what you have if everything seems to run ok and youre not getting the blue screen of death or anything when you run games and such.

monoflap
06-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Power suppleis are always a tricky topic as far as whats necessary and whats overkill. Could you tell us the brand and model name of the psu? I don't see any reason why a 400 watt wouldn't support that hardware but if it has low efficiency or causes power fluctuations, it might not be a bad idea to get a better one. If it came with your case or something like that, I would keep an eye on it.

AKA_RA
06-19-2006, 06:34 PM
o goodness, i completely over looked the fact that it may have come with his case, i forget these dyas that those crappy PSUs that come with cases are pumping up their wattage to try and blend in with the rest of them. unlees your case came with something like an antec, which i highly doubt, it should definately be the next thing you upgrade, as far as overkill, dont worry too much about it. better to have too much than to little, as far as spare watts go anyways. within reason of course(no 1000watt PSU needed)