PDA

View Full Version : 24-Hour Mod

cheztir
06-19-2006, 09:28 PM
As we all know, most decent mods can last from 2 to 6 months, if not longer like some Defyant and Crimson Sky's stuff. Well what happens if a team of people completed a case mod in 24 hours. A good case mod that is. To kick it up further, what if it was broadcast live as it happened? How many of you would be interested in seeing something like that? I've got the setup, i can get the team.

Cool? Lame? Lemme know.

qoou
06-19-2006, 09:31 PM
its already been done by one person. fanatik.
here is his mod. (http://www.austinmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1168)

AKA_RA
06-19-2006, 09:36 PM
i would actually stay up all night just to watch that sort of thing. kinda reminds me of one of those shows on the discovery channel where they have a limited ammount of time to remodel a house or something like that. the only thing that might make me think twice about watching would be if the frame rate was horrible(less than 1 frame a minute) or if the picture was tiny and grainy, i just dont htink i could stare at that kind of thing for too long. i would also consider it a perk to not tell the audiance exactly what you were planning to do to with the case. it would surely draw in more viewers if you were to suprise them. and just for kicks, you gotta have a mic on the whole time. itll be likely to capture brief moments of comedy as well as frustration.

Cevinzol
06-19-2006, 09:38 PM
lol
I suddenly have a vision of Ty Pennington (http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome/bios/ty_pennington.html) with a megaphone.

It could be fun. Were you thinking of podcasting it?

cheztir
06-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Wow, thanks for the fast replies guys.
Answer to posts:

1- That's a nice mod and all, but this will be a complete mod, as in starting from a stock case, hardware, an LCD, keyboard, and mouse. Going from there to a completely modded system on all parts matching. Probably auction off the stuff when it's done.

2 - Goodness, no 1 FPS. I was aiming for 15fps, 128kb/s stream of some kind, 3 webcams. And yes microphones will be present and i'm sure there will be some humorous stuff. If all goes as i'd like i'd plan to spare my cable modem death and find a nice sponsor to redirect the feeds. I up to them and they distribute (if only there was bittorrent live). Also, if there was enough interest i'd capture feeds from all three cams for a mastered release of the good stuff.

3 - Again, probably a rebroadcast, but summed up to take out the worthless crap. Obviously that'd be done by torrents.

One more note, we will be showing the stock case to you in a demo movie. But you won't be told what it looks like.

Again this idea just kinda came to me as something fun to do during my summer.

AKA_RA
06-19-2006, 11:04 PM
heres an idea, if you or any of your team has any post production experiance, just get yourself a regular video cam, and turn it into a sort of home movie/documentary. i mean, yeah, itll be more work, but you said you were looking for something fun to do during your summer. i dunno, its just an idea.

maximan1
06-19-2006, 11:43 PM
OHH ME LIKEY!!!
I would stay up and watch this all night nonstop (well maybe to get more soda, but nothing else). Don't make this so that you will all be doing a thing at one corner of the room so we can't see. It would be boring.
Instead put webcams at every location you would be working at (equipped with some motion sensors, of course) so when you moved to that area to work that webcam would turn on and we would see what would be happening at all times.
AND FOR GODS SAKE DON'T JUST SIT AROUND ALL NIGHT DRINKING BEER!!!

AKA_RA
06-20-2006, 12:19 AM
yes, please no sitting around and drinking beer, we wanna see multitasking damn it. i wanna see drinking, modding, sitting and possibly some juggling or sword swallowing. im not asking too much, am i?

maximan1
06-20-2006, 12:40 AM
yes, please no sitting around and drinking beer, we wanna see multitasking damn it. i wanna see drinking, modding, sitting and possibly some juggling or sword swallowing. im not asking too much, am i?

cheztir
06-20-2006, 12:43 AM
LMAO, nice stuff. Sadly beer is sorta out of the question as for 4 out of 5 of us it's illegal. And obviously we won't just show the center of the room. I've been thinking more on this idea.

Also, AKA_RA, I'm in the TV depeartment at my school, so i might even call up my teacher and see if we can't borrow some DV cameras. But i have Final Cut Pro at my disposal, and like i said if all goes well youll all end up with a nice post-production video, of the best and worst moments and such. Along with some other stuff. If i get more in put this week, i'm gunna go through with it. But i'm heading out later this week for a vacation with the family (cruise) so modding will be the last thing on my mind, and internet is out of the question at .25¢ a minute. Hmmm, i wonder if the domain 24hourmod.com is taken.

EDIT:
Also, anybody know of any software to block faces in real time, cause i've got one guy that is sorta freaked out by being over the internet. I personally don't mind, if there isnt any you just won't really see him.

CanaBalistic
06-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Tell him its all show or no go. That or put a bag over his head!

AKA_RA
06-20-2006, 01:39 AM
get him one of those mexican wrestling masks, and give him a cool stage name, like El Modificante

silverdemon
06-20-2006, 02:46 AM
cool idea!!
too bad I'm in the netherlands, a bit far to just walk up there :(

so, I'll be watching ;)

Aero
06-20-2006, 08:17 PM
what you need is to find a way to get modders from different locations to make it a contest each with atleast one webcam. Give them all 24 hours, then poll different forums to see which is better, you might even get some sponsors if this works out right.

cheztir
06-20-2006, 09:47 PM
oo Aero good idea. Seeing how the 24 hour mod with just me and my buddies goes then i'll see.

I've found a nice band with provider for the event. I'm debating what kind of camera to use, be it an iSight or something similar, or a DV cam with firewire out. I'll get a domain name in the next few weeks, so that should turn ot nicely.

Look forward to an intro video showing the stock system before we mod it, along with an intro to the whole idea. I'm still debating where to work on this.

Also, i good laod of viral marketing for this will probably be used. and one last thing, sponsors if you know anyone thats whats to buy out a webcam with their logo in the picture.

This is almost a 100% sure thing now.