PDA

View Full Version : Cathode tube extensions

chris48178
04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
I am working on cleaning up the wiring for my case. I have 3 x 6" Cathode tubes and 3 x Round fan cathodes. I wanted to run the wiring inconspicuously underneath the MB tray. The problem I ran into was that the wires were not long enough. I bought a spool of solid 24 gauge wire from a local electrical store and proceeded to splice in extensions. I stripped each wire twisted them together, soldered them, and then wrapped them with electrical tape. Each extension was about 6-14 inches long, just enough to reach the little rectangular junctions (are those called ballast?). After they were all connected I turned the power on, an Ultra X-Connect 500W PS. The three cathodes I needed to extend were not working properly, though. I could tell there was power running to them, but only have the cathode was working, and even that wasn't very bright.

Can you extend the wiring, or is a specific length required?
Is there a better method than my strip, twist, solder method?
Is solid 24 gauge wire what I should be using?

Hoping someone has run across this problem before, or has more insight than I.

TIA for any help,
Chris

Crimson Sky
04-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Unfortunatley you can not extend CCFL wires--they are designed to illuminate properly at a specific and predetermined length. :( Best you can do is use LED or even just get the inverter boxes closer to area you'd like to mount the lights.

Frakk
04-14-2005, 10:09 AM
it is possible that the extension wire is not capable of delivering the required high voltages to the tube, but not likely. maybe ure soldering is restricting and acts as a resistor when such high voltages pass thrugh it.

chris48178
04-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Thx for the replys....

Both of your suggestions seem to confirm my suspicions. It would appear that I can extend the wiring from the PS to the inverter, but not the inverter to the cathode tube.

Frakk, what would be a better way to deliver the higher voltage? I don't think just twisting the wires and heat shrinking them would be good practice. I am really new to case modding and electrical work on general.

Frakk
04-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Unfortunatley you can not extend CCFL wires--they are designed to illuminate properly at a specific and predetermined length. :( Best you can do is use LED or even just get the inverter boxes closer to area you'd like to mount the lights.

I think he means the white wire that plugs into the inverter and not the wire within the tube that illuminates. what do you mean by the "rectangular junctions"? if you altered the cathode tube itself and the junction where the wire goes into it, then probably thats causing ure problem. whenever you extend wires, you should cut the original one in half and solder a wire in the middle to avoid ruining the part itself. make sure there is enough solder on it for a good contact too.

Matthew
04-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Im confused...I know electricity looses power over a LARGE distance...but is a few inches going to make it not work? That doesent sound right to me...but then again I am no EE major (yet) so correct me...and explain how that works.

Frakk
04-14-2005, 07:02 PM
i find that odd too and i dont think it is because of the wire. its gotta be something with the cathode itself or the soldering.

Whisp
04-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I have exteneded wires between both the cathode and inverter and the inverter to the power with no issue but those where 4 inch cathodes. No idea why adding wire would effect anythig since items really cant tell the difference of a length of a wire and it would take quite a bit of distance to make the power weeken.

Here is one that I lengthend and its fine.

http://www.whisptech.com/images/mods/chenbrocathode/smallmeshed.jpg

Anyways I have lengthend and shortend with no issues thus far.

Kaolian
04-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Be careful with those things, I accidentally cracked the glass tube on the inside of the plastic slightly on one of a 2 tube system, and that was enough difference in resistance to cause the wires between the inverter box and the tubes to melt. Literally. It started smokeing almost instantly, I hit the master off switch, but it still left a small puddle of copper droplets in the bottom of my case. at the time I wasn't sure what was burning, so I about had a bowel accident when it happened. Lucky for me no permanent damage occured.

I realize that does nothign to actually answer your question, but be careful!

Matthew
04-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Lol...it didnt help with the question but it is true. I have heard soem stories....so yeah. My next mod is going to be my first time using any CCFLs...I am putting a 5in. In each of the bawls bottles (In "This project's got bawls"). I think you need to peat and repeat on checking your wireing. Maby you crossed the wires? Who know...double check.

chris48178
04-17-2005, 08:44 AM
I found some good threads related to this issue:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=882693

http://www.casemodgod.com/ccfl_inverter_rant.htm

I am really leery about extending any CCFL now.

I found this place that has an LED alternative to Cathode Tubes: http://www.agilight.com/products.php

I have some product on order, and will update the site with my results.
The only con I see so far is that I will still need a UV light for all the UV reactive components in my case.

Whisp
04-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Like I mentioned in an other thread if your worried that much about a cathode then have an inline fuse. Also how you mod the line going is a factor. Have to make sure the solder pointis done properly and you would be surprised how many people don't know how to solder properly ( ex: heat the work not the solder lol). Also need to make sure its all insulated properly by using a good tight heat shrink.

Also in that first thread the guy mentions that after he did his stuff and put it back to normal it still didn't work.

As for the second thread about the rant. Well thats all it is. For teh burned out pc there is a question about what really happened since he doesn't speak about modding and I even have issue with how the case looks burned out and where the fire really started. If you notice the vid card was modded too and in direct area of the fire.

I have resized by eitheir shortening or lengthening over at least 20 cathodes and i have yet to see a problem. So far out of all the cathodes i have only seen one bum inverter and that was right from teh beginning and although it fried up a bit it did what teh firt picture in the rant did and there was no fire.

Also if you look around you will see pictures of burned out cathode inverters but not charred cases like that one.

Anyways up to you. LED'S work but the way they light an area is totally different.