PDA

View Full Version : Chesterfield DJ!

CanaBalistic
06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey guys i just had this cool idea and thought i would get some input from you all.

I live in a 4-unit appartment and my neighbors are really cool and crank thier music all the time. Mine is by far the loudest but ive never gotten any complaints :) . What i want to do since i have 1 of 2 computers in the building and i have all the best music (1500 songs and counting) is to set up a local radio station for me and my neighbors. They would be excited if we wernt all stoners :) . I've checked into some name brand stereo transmitters and they can run as much as $200. Thats far to expensive for me. I could probly get an Ipod transmitter for cheap but i dont know if they would be strong enough to transmit through walls or to the next building (an added bonus for bloc parties). I need a range at the very least of 50ft, the next building is about 300-400 feet. I wouldnt need any more then that.

Will an Ipod transmitter work for this?
Can i make one myself?

Any help or input is much appreciated!

tybrenis
06-20-2006, 09:41 PM
I bet you could use a iPod transmitter with some sort of amplification device attached to it.

CanaBalistic
06-20-2006, 09:48 PM
some sort of amplification device

Care to elaborate?

[edit]
anyone else have an idea? Plz help.

CanaBalistic
06-23-2006, 06:48 PM
OK, i just bought a Centrios FM transmitter. It hardly transmits to my bedroom 12ft away. This is just not good enough. Well, not $34 good...

Im going to check into a signal booster of some kind. I'll report back

[edit]

I started to look for transmitter that fit into a pci slot. I found some links but nothing that led me to any stores. I started looking in ebay and wasnt really finding anything. When i found the magic key words, lots of stuff came up. There are lots of commercial broadcasters going for $500 - $2500. Thats way too much for what is supposed to be simple stereo mod. Then i came across the perfect item (http://cgi.ebay.ca/4-Watt-FM-Stereo-Broadcast-Radio-Transmitter-PLL-AGC_W0QQitemZ330000262887QQcategoryZ4675QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem) but a starting price of $230 for a measly 4watt transmitter is rediculous however good the size and look. Then i stumbled across this gem (http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ramsey-FM10C-FM-Stereo-Transmitter-Kit_W0QQitemZ5736545464QQcategoryZ296QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem). Although its a DIY kit, its reasonably priced and will broadcast over a city block with a decent anttena. Now i dont have any money on paypal and it takes a week for my money to get there so i cant purchase this beauty yet. This is exactly what im looking for!!! And the DIY concept is perfect since i hope to mod this into my case.

If i install this into my computer case will the signal interfere with my computer?