PDA

View Full Version : old school television mod

josuave83
06-21-2006, 11:39 PM
i want to take an old tv gut it and toss in a lcd, mobo, psupply, wireless key&mouse, wireless on\off button, and use the channel nobs as a light bus switch, the color and picture nobs as fan speed regulators.

let me know what you guys think.. worth it?

Omega
06-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Only worth it if you have extensive knowledge about electronics and how not to get yourself killed by the capacitors on the CRT that that TV has in it.

Other than that, It's not an original idea, but I've never seen it be executed, so if you have the above knowledge, go for it.

AKA_RA
06-22-2006, 01:20 AM
just take it to an electronics repair store and ask them to gut it for you, except for stuff like the knobs. then you should be safe to mod the hell out of the rest of it.

CanaBalistic
06-22-2006, 02:15 AM
How old is the tv? Does it have vacume tubes? I wouldnt worry as much as thies guys. Most tv's have like 6 screws holding the guts in. You should be able to get to them without coming to close to the tube wire (big red wire with all the juice). Then just wrap the inside crap up with a towel or sheet like your a hobo and set it out for the trash man to grab.

Your not invincable and a tv can kill you if you disrespect it. Be extra careful not to touch anything with the tip of your screw driver. Its best to leave the tv unpluged for at least a week or more so any risidual power drains out.

Use an electricians screw driver as they are more insulated. Klien is an excelent brand for this.

josuave83
06-22-2006, 05:03 PM
i alreadt have the tv torna apart and the tube has been dispossed of. i plan on using an lcd as the main display, a window where the outer casings vents are and the dials for the fan controls are just potentiometers, the tricky part is to have differant color lights come on when a differant channel is selected from the custom rotory switches. thats basiclly it no major electronics. just need to get myself the hardware and do alittle switch fabrication

FynexFox
06-22-2006, 07:31 PM
That sounds cool man, especially with the different lights via rotary switch(isnt that hard, if you want Ill draw you up a wiring diagram) Ill definetly be following this mod. Also, for the different lights you mean cathodes, LEDs, what?

josuave83
06-23-2006, 08:37 PM
give me a day or too ill get my drawings and stuff out on here

maximan1
06-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Definatly worth it ;)

josuave83
06-24-2006, 05:05 PM
here is a very crude drawing of what im going for with the dials
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7615/television2kh.png
the light selection will have 13 differant modes or options.
the system will be liquid cooled so the two fan controls will bw for the intake and exhaust of the whole system and radiators, also in addition to the 5.1 surround the system will also have onbourd sound just like your home entertainment center, im thinking of making the a "classic" media center project.

FynexFox
06-24-2006, 07:57 PM
It definetly sounds cool. Since its a "TV" Will you be using this to replace a tv elsewhere and then use a tunercard, cabler box and say sageTV to acctually do TV watching? I hope to see a lot more.

gnarlycraig
06-28-2006, 05:14 PM
josuave, I'm doing something similar, trying 2 mod an old radio i have, could u post how u end up controlling fan speeds + internal volume through the knobs it would be much appreciated

-aspiring modder