PDA

View Full Version : Project KDP3

Stygian Shane
06-22-2006, 03:14 AM
Well. It seems that I'll be building another PC case, before I would have liked to. My situation:

I live at uni, on campus. My main desktop (Project CF) has been taken home for the holidays. I will be playing WoW on it over the holidays, as the uni firewall restricts uni access to the ports needed to play the game. I now have my laptop, which I'm not a big fan of using.

So:

I have a P3 550 on the way, in the mail. (Providing I havn't been scammed ;) ). I do not yet have a case for it. I'm planning to use THAT computer, for all my uni needs (downloading, IRC, schoolwork etc etc.) My laptop will merely be a mode of data transport, between home and uni.

I need to build a case.

I've been thinking about building a wooden case for a while, and now I need it. Before my liking, as I said earlier.
I'm building it out of KD hardwood, as 1. I don't want to use pine or MDF or whatever crap timber. 2. This project does not need to be built out of premium hardwood, like the HTPC that I have in mind will be. 3. I don't have the time or funds atm to buy expensive hardwood.

I'm planning to have a small profile, as much as the slot processor allows, and I will be focusing on silence. Sound is onboard, which is good, which leaves me an ethernet card for the remaining PCI slot. A low profile one will be chosen.

I may be putting a cheap optical drive in, if I can scrounge one up somewhere for cheap, and I'll most likely keep it to a maximum of 2 case fans, to create a wind tunnel somewhere in there, if needed. I'm not sure much ventilation WILL be needed, the processor being of an older age, and thus not as much heat produced as new components. A plexi window will be put in, just for the hell of it.

I should be starting this within the next week or so. Stay tuned :)

(BTW: Project KDP3 - Project KD (the type of hardwood - Kiln Dried) Pentium 3.)

dgrmkrp
06-22-2006, 10:00 AM
hmm.. interesting... what r u planning it to look like? cause because of the low heat/small dimensions components used, u have lots of freedom to create anything :) give us a sketchup! :)

Stygian Shane
06-22-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm in the process of trying to do some sort of a model in SolidWorks. Seems to be a hell of a lot more powerful than Sketchup... and for good cause ;)

Nagoshi
06-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Erm... it is not because ''old'' means cold... P3s can get hot at times. Ive got a P3 550E mhz (not a slot1 tho, is yours a Slot1?) in my current computer and, when it was dirty and had no ''wind tunnel'' in my case, it was running at around 33C idle... but I have a normal case, not a wooden one. And plus since I cleaned my heatsink and added fans to the case, it runs at like 35C idle even tho it's running at 787MHz on 1.65V. Stock heatsink and fan.

I hope you will overclock that beauty of processor, if its technically the same as mine then it has alot more possiblilities than other P3 processors, at low heat and low noise. but for sure if you can get a bigger and more silent fan to sit on your heatsink it'll help alot, if youre going to overclock (which I recommend, these processors really runs way faster overclocked)

i cant wait to see the style you will give your wooden case!