PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu

.Maleficus.
06-23-2006, 05:27 PM
So I just downloaded the LiveCD of Ubuntu, and have been messing around with it for a while. I tried most of the programs, but a few wouldn't work. I couldn't get any of the OpenOffice programs to work, and I couldn't get Firefox to work either. I got Gaim to work, so I don't think it is the internet connection. If anyone has Ubuntu and may know the problem, that would be great. I will still try to install it on my computer in the next few days, but if someone can give me an answer now and tell me it won't work ever, then I will try a different kind(?) of Linux. (I don't know Linux terminology yet, so I'm not sure what it is called.) Thank you for any help!

P.S.
Can anyone tell me any good programs for Linux? Anything is fine, just something fun to mess around with. Fun downloadable games are good too.

P.S.S.
I would also like to get Steam up and running again, and I read that could be done with Wine. Could someone tell me how to go about installing Wine, and then Steam? That would be great too.

Edit: Well, I guess patience is required with LiveCD's, because I clicked the Firefox icon, and 5 minutes later it was there. It could also be that the computer I was using was a 773mhz, 64mb of RAM HP machine, but nevertheless, it worked so I'm happy.

.Maleficus.
06-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Well, I installed Ubuntu. I just downloaded the game Warsow. It downloaded to my desktop, and I don't know how to get it running. I clicked on the folder icon on my desktop, and then on the Warsow icon, the screen went black, and then back to my desktop. Could someone tell me how to install it and get it running? This is the first day I have had Ubuntu installed, so I don't know how to do anything.

.alchinko.
07-13-2006, 02:38 AM
good try

.Maleficus.
07-13-2006, 07:35 PM
good try

I got it working now. A lonnnng time ago actually.

Clueless
07-23-2006, 01:25 PM
I just bought a book called "Ubuntu Hacks" at Barnes and Nooble 29.99 plus tax....good book so far

stalkier
07-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Say dude tryout the Ubuntu forums. There is some killer info on there. As far as distros for Linux goes Ubuntu is one of the best.

Stalkier

.Maleficus.
07-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I already frequent the forums and they are pretty good. Hey Clueless, how is Ubuntu Hacks? I was looking at it at Barnes and Noble and saw the $30 price tag and decided not to get it lol, but is it helpful?