PDA

View Full Version : I think I killed my Motherboard...

Cool1Net6
06-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Heres what happened:

I took all my components, that have been sitting on my work desk for weeks now and assembled them into my new case. It took me hours to set up all the components as I took great care into wiring everything with the best that I can in cable management. I closed up both sides of the case to have the full effect when the lighting comes on, then said a prayer and pushed the power button. Everything spins up, but nothing else happens. No power to kbd, no power to mouse(usb), no video signal, no beep or flashing lights, no nothing. After slowly unplugging everything (except the memory and processor) there was no change.

Now just a few days ago, I assembled the pc on my work desk to transfer some files and it worked FLAWLESSLY, and for hours. I took great care in avoiding static shock, always having the components on padded surfaces, trying my best to be "anti-dust", etc. The only components I added were the front panel USB and audio headers, which I painstakingly assembled pin by pin with the mobo manual in hand to make sure all the connections were correct. Everything else in the setup remained consistent with the previously sucessful boot-up attempt. I am not sure what exactly is wrong, but I just bought this motherboard 3 months ago, and it was bulletproof UNTIL the day when I want to fully assemble my computer.

Do you think my mobo is at fault here?

-Cool-

Omega
06-25-2006, 04:09 AM
wait what?

you assembeled it in a case, didn't work, then on a desk, and it did?

I would say that when you build it in the case, don't get fancy with wire management and the like from the get-go, so that problems are easily fixable.

archmaille
06-25-2006, 08:15 AM
The only components I added were the front panel USB and audio headers

Could it be your PSU then? I know that my cousins PSU died on him and when he switched to his old PSU for backup it wouldn't boot up with the USB ports on his case hooked up.

monoflap
06-25-2006, 01:18 PM
What kind of case did you use? Mabey its causing a short or something?

Cool1Net6
06-25-2006, 09:22 PM
No, I assembled the PC on a desk first and it worked, then moved it to the case and it failed. Your advice on not worrying about wire management first is delicilously helpful. It isnt my PSU, because that seems to be working 100%, as well as it still works right now, and hasnt suffered any power surges since the PSU was unplugged. And the only reason I'm sure the case didnt short is because we fixed the problem.

A friend and I fiddled with it today and it turns out that 1. my jumper settings were all wrong, and that combined with 2. my CD-RW is malfunctioning, made the whole system not work. We've fixed it now by testing each component, fixing all the jumpers, and removing that CD-RW drive from the system.

-Cool-

Exley
07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
i forget what there called but there are these little screw things that you put on you mobo tray that your mobo screws into, if there is an extra one of thoes that is not being used it will touch the back of your mobo and cause a short. make sure that you only put on the ones that the holes on your motherboard match up to.

Sorry, didnt see that you alredy solved the problem. Maybe it will help someone else.

.alchinko.
07-12-2006, 06:53 PM
so yeah fried my MoBo also... will make a cool wall ornimant.