PDA

View Full Version : Homemade WC?

maximan1
06-29-2006, 02:51 AM
Has anyone ever done this?
I am looking to make a water cooler (by myself :D) for about $30. I want to know the BEST way to possibly do this. I have some hints, but I want to know what the rest of you know/think.
Thanks, maximan1

DaveW
06-29-2006, 05:14 AM
A lot of people have built their own reservoirs, but getting the pump's and radiators is not easy. Check out Defyant's custom watercooling systems.

-Dave

Canadian Eh?
06-29-2006, 08:39 AM
if you want to make a cheap cool looking resevoir, use an old wine bottle and if the top is too big just saw a part off the top. then run the pump hoses in and fill it up with the cooling liquid and seal the top

Scotty
06-29-2006, 12:50 PM
radiators will robably come fromcars or something, yubing can be anything, resevior anything thats watertight, blocks and uomps probably need to be bought

Cevinzol
06-29-2006, 08:59 PM
radiators will robably come fromcars or something look for a heater core, a real radiator will be way to big.
yubing can be anythingno. Stay away from stuff that kinks easily like latex or thin walled tubing. You want a material that will not react with organic compounds like radiator coolant, Primochill PCIce or Fluid XP. Look into Vinyl or PEX (cross linked polyethylene) tubing.

qoou
06-29-2006, 09:14 PM
www.dangerden.com

monoflap
06-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Your probably going to have to buy a pump and a decent one will be over $50. You will need more the $30 to do water cooling.

maximan1
06-30-2006, 02:12 AM
if you want to make a cheap cool looking resevoir, use an old wine bottle and if the top is too big just saw a part off the top. then run the pump hoses in and fill it up with the cooling liquid and seal the top

This is the best idea in this thread, and I will probably use it. I willl use a Sobe bottle instead (I'm 13). Don't go hooking little kids on booze.

simon275
07-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Fish tank pumps!

You could use a fish tank pump (dont know what the flow rate is like) cheap plastic tubing / hose any hardware store sells it and the sobe bottle sounds like a great idea for a resivour, part of a car radiator is the way to go. The most expensive thing will probably be the distilled water.

Have fun

tybrenis
07-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Unless you are already skilled in the art of something such as copper machining and have access to a mlling machine/nice drill press, you are going to have to buy yourself a waterblock.

Also, I recomend going to your local home depot and checking in the pond section for a powerful pump - I know that's where I'm going for my next rig!

simon275
07-03-2006, 04:24 AM
Arent the flow rate on those things huge like in the like 500+ Litres per hour range and the pipes they take are fat like 1 1/4" tubing.

It would be pretty extreme to see one of those in a case some serious cooling.

Also they need their own 240v plugs as well they would draw a fair bit of power.

tybrenis
07-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Nope - they are standard voltage, pump about 200-250 GPH, and many use 1/2" tubing.

Omega
07-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Do it afroman style...

http://www.afrotechmods.com/stupid/water/water.htm

.Maleficus.
07-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Do it afroman style...

http://www.afrotechmods.com/stupid/water/water.htm

Sweet...8) I would do that if I had a fish tank pump. I woundn't use it in my computer but it'd still be fun to have around.

Omega
07-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Sweet...8) I would do that if I had a fish tank pump. I woundn't use it in my computer but it'd still be fun to have around.

Yeah. Afrotech is great. Go now.

maximan1
07-05-2006, 06:18 PM
I HAVE IT!!!
I will take a beer bottle (my parents drink very small beer bottles) and cut off about an inch off the end. Then I will glue some sheet metal (forgot what it is called :D) on the end so it cant leak out (the cooling stuff that is, not beer). Then I will cut off about 2 inches from the top of the bottle and also glue some sheet metal there. I will put 2 fans on top of each other on the top, and the bottom will be on the CPU. There will be 2 small hoses from each side, pushing coolant in and pulling coolant out.

Comments? Critisism?

Please reply

blue73
07-05-2006, 06:23 PM
radiators will robably come fromcars or something, yubing can be anything, resevior anything thats watertight, blocks and uomps probably need to be bought

Could You use the rads that are in mobile AC units as they're a lot smaller than car rads. And by AC I mean air conditioner?

monoflap
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I HAVE IT!!!
I will take a beer bottle (my parents drink very small beer bottles) and cut off about an inch off the end. Then I will glue some sheet metal (forgot what it is called :D) on the end so it cant leak out (the cooling stuff that is, not beer). Then I will cut off about 2 inches from the top of the bottle and also glue some sheet metal there. I will put 2 fans on top of each other on the top, and the bottom will be on the CPU. There will be 2 small hoses from each side, pushing coolant in and pulling coolant out.

Comments? Critisism?

Please reply

Well, im guessing thats supposed to be a cpu water block. If it is you'll have to devise some way for it to conduct the heat from the cpu. If you have an old heatsink I bet you could chop it up and put the bottle on top or something. Also, is your cpu socket bases, or is it a slot kind of like an add in card?