PDA

View Full Version : heatsink from a radio

ForceFedFlesh
06-29-2006, 09:04 PM
so i recently installed a new raido in my car and the old one had a heatsink.....so i thought maybe i could use it somehow but how is what im trying to figure out. anyone got any ideas?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/cfc1087/P6290003.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/cfc1087/P6290006.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/cfc1087/P6290009.jpg

GT40_GearHead
06-29-2006, 10:21 PM
the only thing that croses my mynd is Hdd sink,
could put a profile picture?

nil8
06-30-2006, 08:27 AM
You could use it as a massive low profile heatsink for a video card.

No matter what you do with it, I would suggest sanding/milling it flat on the bottom, then sanding it to 1500 grit to make it smooth.

maximan1
06-30-2006, 08:55 AM
How bout why?

ForceFedFlesh
06-30-2006, 10:34 AM
You could use it as a massive low profile heatsink for a video card.

No matter what you do with it, I would suggest sanding/milling it flat on the bottom, then sanding it to 1500 grit to make it smooth.

my video card is water cooled but it still gets hot. i dont have ram heatsinks on it but i was thinking i could make something where a peice of copper is covering the ram, and heat rods could be attached to that and the radio heatsink........but i don't think that would be worth it.

as for the hard drive thats cooled by 2 80mm fans blowing right at it.

simon275
07-02-2006, 06:41 AM
well dont you have the best case in all the land.

um maybe you could slap it on one of your optical drives the burners can get prety hot from all the burning :D

If you have nothing better to do with it flog it on ebay and make $20 bucks.

If your gprahics card is getting hot and its watercooled then maybe you should take the heatsink off and apply some more thermal paste and put it back and make sure the heat sink is touching the processor.

nil8
07-02-2006, 01:37 PM
How hot is your video card getting?
Is it overclocked?
What type of thermal paste did you use on your gpu?
What size is your wc hose?
What pump are you using?

A hot video card could be a sign of lack of heat transfer, a slow pump(check your proc's heat), or too much heat for the amount of water pushed through.

As for that heatsink...is your north/south bridge covered?

blue73
07-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Mount a 80mm fan on it then mount it on Yer HDD with those springed fittings so it stays fairly silent. Shouldn't be any louder than a HDD at full pelt anyways should it?

ForceFedFlesh
07-03-2006, 01:04 PM
How hot is your video card getting?
Is it overclocked?
What type of thermal paste did you use on your gpu?
What size is your wc hose?
What pump are you using?

A hot video card could be a sign of lack of heat transfer, a slow pump(check your proc's heat), or too much heat for the amount of water pushed through.

As for that heatsink...is your north/south bridge covered?

my video card is a nvidia 6800 ultra agp, at idle it would be 61c and on load it would hit 75c, but yesturday i cleaned off the generic thermal grease i had on there and put AS5 on both my vid card and my cpu, and to my suprise the temps of my video card are now 56c at idle and 68c on load ( F.E.A.R for an 1hr or 2 :P)

as for my water cooling its a Zalman Reserator 1 Plus which isnt all that good cuz it cools passivley. I was thinking about replacing the pump but i dont know if its necessary and i dont know what kind i should get.

p.s: almost forgot......my northbridge is covered by the stock heatsink. but the south is not