PDA

View Full Version : Cooler Master Case Inspires Mod

Redbeard
07-06-2006, 01:01 AM
So my dad who builds computers for local people recieved a Cooler Master Centurion 530 case today. I have seen many cases by Cooler Master but none stuck me as prime mod material like this.
http://www.vtr-hardware.com/media/images/news/1/7536.jpg http://www.4gamer.net/specials/2005summer/img/005.jpg

I mean those bars make me think of somekind of industrial/spacecraft theme... like the technology of a scifi movie where things are grungy and all.
The drive bay covers are mesh and the top two are stealthed already. That's what the two silver buttons are for.
If I were to mod one like this I'd have to make a bigger window and probably add one on top. Anyways enough rambling... what does everyone else think?

maximan1
07-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Cool man get to it ;).
A space theme would be nice, I haven't seen much of that around here lately.

Omega
07-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Starcraft Mod.

nil8
07-06-2006, 08:34 AM
I think that's a sweet looking case.

Nuclear reactor maybe?

blue73
07-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I have the same case. It's good but one thing spoils it, or two in fact. The stealth doors stick open when the ROM drive ejects and prevents the tray from closeing. Other than that a top case for modding. If You want to do a sci-fi mod hows about Firefly?

Redbeard
07-06-2006, 10:09 AM
I have the same case. It's good but one thing spoils it, or two in fact. The stealth doors stick open when the ROM drive ejects and prevents the tray from closeing.

Good advice, thanks. I'll see what I can do to fix that if I mod it.

And I still don't know what theme I'd use, but these ideas so far are pretty good I just don't know enough about them to want to use those themes.

Airbozo
07-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Never touched one of those cases, but could you replace those front posts with clear tubes and either run the water cooling through it or just put in a bubbler with lights?

My friend just suggested using them as lavalamps... Not sure how that would work...

Redbeard
07-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm sure someone could, but not me. That's too ambitious and not my style. But it's a good idea, I like it.

.Maleficus.
07-06-2006, 12:57 PM
I thought there were some cool looking ships and stuff in the movie Starship Troopers, maybe something from there? Otherwise, StarCraft and other RTS's set in the future have cool looking things. Take a look at some of the screenshots for Supreme Commander (I think that's what it's called, the new Total Annihilation game), there are some cool looking things in there.

m4gnum
07-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I love those cases, I wish I'd have gotten one instead of my P160. Anyhoo, as it's a Centurion, what about a Roman theme? Make the case into a temple, the posts at the front could be Roman pillars. Maybe one for a Rome: Total War fan though.

If you're thinking of grungy space why not have neons up the side that flicker, like those films where people are sent out to recover an abandoned ship and then get eaten by aliens.

Redbeard
07-07-2006, 02:02 AM
I like these ideas, I still am not sure what I'll do but these ideas are definately good and different which is what I was counting on. My idea thus far was to make the case look like it belonged to a much larger system and was only one of many such computers. The handles on the front make me think that the case possibly should look like it is supposed to slide out of something in order to be taken out. Have I lost you already? I know I also would want to work on the top by smoothing out the top panel and make it gently slope to the rest of the case. I kind of want to do a rusted/broken theme but my experience shows that the theme is tricky and doesn't always turn out right. I could see it as a fallout case, make it Vault-Tec produced looking. And the idea of starcraft is good too, but the game is so old, I don't know how to get a whole lot of ideas due to the poor graphics (compared to today.) Then again I may not even be able to do this for a long time (thanks college)... but it is nice to dream... if things don't work out.

overdosedelusion
07-20-2006, 10:42 AM
someone mentioned it before, remove the silver tubes and replace them with clear tubes and insert a neon rod. possibly do the radiation symbol for a window. Or if you want to do a grungy mod, replace them with large looped industrial black chain, (weld the chain straight).

overdosedelusion
07-20-2006, 10:45 AM
If you're thinking of grungy space why not have neons up the side that flicker, like those films where people are sent out to recover an abandoned ship and then get eaten by aliens.

Alien, what a ****ing brill Film

MitaPi
07-26-2006, 05:01 AM
I dont know if anyone mentioned this.. but maybe you can replace those bar things with cold cathodes or acrylic bars with led's at each end? That would be kind of cool.. maybe even replace all the drive bay covers with clear acrylic with Led's in those too??