PDA

View Full Version : Web site needed!

MDCS
07-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Here is an idea of a web site I would love to see someone do.

Call it "Last Check" or "Hardware Update" ... or something like that.

What it would be is a last check to see when the latest hardware is coming out.

Example: You're looking for the latest video screamer. You think it's the nVidia 7900GTX, BUT they are just getting ready to release the new 8000GT and it tells you the date for release. so, instead of not waiting a week to get the latest (or not knowing it's about to come out, you pay top dollar for the 7900 and 7 days later the 8000 comes out.

Nothing extreme ... or even reviewed. Just release dates.

Example:

All Hardware Updates:

VIDEO:
nVidia 8000GT - Release Date 8-01-06
ATI X2000 - Release Date 9-10-06

MOTHERBOARDS:
ASUS Deluxe 5000 - Release Date 7-14-06
DFI Deluxe Expert 3000 - Release Date 8-31-06

MEMORY:
Corsair - XMS 2GB DDR 400 Dual Channel Kit - Release Date 9-10-06
OCZ - OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR2 Dual Channel Kit - Release Date 10-13-06
Crucial - 2GB DDR2 533 Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit - Release Date 9-02-06

CPU:
AMD FX61 - Release Date 8-04-06
Intel P5 - Release Date 7-5-06

DVD/CD:

WATER PUMPS:

MONITORS:

HARD DRIVES:
Raptor 300GB - Release Date 10-11-06

And so on .... each one linked to the companies page for more info.
All on one page for quick lookups.

:D

Omega
07-06-2006, 01:25 AM
I would totally do that as a part of my website -- but I am hardly on top of the tech game. 7900GTX? Isn't that like, a car? (I keed, i keed)

AKA_RA
07-06-2006, 02:05 AM
That sounds like a really good idea for all of us who arent keeping track of exactly when certain things are coming out. Even i usually dont know when stuff is coming out, but then again i usually only pay attention when upgrade time comes around. Im sure a site that had that sort of information constantly updated would save some people a lot of trouble when it comes to deciding what to buy and when.

maximan1
07-06-2006, 02:16 AM
I would do that, but sadly, I don't know Javascript.

maximan1
07-06-2006, 02:17 AM
I can design the web site tho.
PM me if interested.

demon_hunter2k4
07-06-2006, 03:37 AM
im not exactly flash on javascript, but i can do some stuff, if i get a source for the info etc. i could try to write something up. :p

Slug Toy
07-06-2006, 04:20 AM
i can probably help out with dates and rumour control if needed. a lot of times i find myself just looking through reviews... previews... wild speculation... you name it. it wouldnt be a huge stretch to pass on info that i find in an email every couple days.

DaveW
07-06-2006, 05:45 AM
It doesn't need javascript.

-Dave

Rankenphile
07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
As a matter of fact, there are a number of calendar plugins for pages that could make this work very well. Heck you could even set up a public Google calendar and keep it updated. The only problem is keeping track of all the info you would need. But it really wouldn't require javascript, it would be a simple enough database query that you could do it using any number of programming languages.

It is an intriguing idea, though. I'll look into making it an add-on for TBCS some time. We've got a much bigger project in the works at the moment, however, so it may be a little while. If anyone would be interested in maintaining the list, please let me know either through a PM or an email to rankenphile (at) gmail dot com.

MDCS
07-06-2006, 06:16 PM
As a matter of fact, there are a number of calendar plugins for pages that could make this work very well. Heck you could even set up a public Google calendar and keep it updated. The only problem is keeping track of all the info you would need. But it really wouldn't require javascript, it would be a simple enough database query that you could do it using any number of programming languages.

It is an intriguing idea, though. I'll look into making it an add-on for TBCS some time. We've got a much bigger project in the works at the moment, however, so it may be a little while. If anyone would be interested in maintaining the list, please let me know either through a PM or an email to rankenphile (at) gmail dot com.

I think you have some good ideas on implementing it.

I think after a while, it could even make some money for the site with company ads touting their new release. I would think it should be a site with it's own front page. (not that one here wouldn't help all us modders :) ) But I think for the rest, a front page site would benefit most looking for such info. My 2 cents. :?

DaveW
07-06-2006, 07:42 PM
I think after a while, it could even make some money for the site with company ads touting their new release.

Cha-ching!

Rankenphile's correct in that it requires only simple database manipulation. The program itself would not be difficult to impliment.

Maybe in a month or 2, we can put this on the TBCS improvement roadmap. I don't decide what's on this roadmap obviously, but I can offer to impliment it, which probably makes a bit of difference.

Good idea :)

-Dave

Rankenphile
07-06-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't know that this is something that would deserve it's own page, per se. I would think of it more as a RSS feed for subscriptions, and a website plugin for other websites. I think it would be a great plugin for the front page of TBCS, in theory, that could have all sorts of great info - upcoming LANs for your area, release dates for games/movies/music/books/components, things of that nature. It would take some considerable programming, but it does have it's merits. Keeping track of certain users' preferences and allowing it to be customized would make it a very powerful tool.

Now, just because I am saying these things are neat and that they would make good additions to TBCS does not, in any way, mean that they will be implemented. I'm just saying that it is a neat idea.

/disclaimer

CanaBalistic
07-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Need a template for this site? I made this for my gaming clan that never made it. Good layout, Perfect for a php or html site. Use if you like, Change headder. I have the psd of the header so you can properly change it.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/Cana-Balistic/CBD-013-1.jpg

DaveW
07-07-2006, 05:30 AM
I don't know that this is something that would deserve it's own page, per se. I would think of it more as a RSS feed for subscriptions, and a website plugin for other websites. I think it would be a great plugin for the front page of TBCS, in theory, that could have all sorts of great info - upcoming LANs for your area, release dates for games/movies/music/books/components, things of that nature. It would take some considerable programming, but it does have it's merits. Keeping track of certain users' preferences and allowing it to be customized would make it a very powerful tool.

Now, just because I am saying these things are neat and that they would make good additions to TBCS does not, in any way, mean that they will be implemented. I'm just saying that it is a neat idea.

We do have a calender built into the forums that we can use-it displays current events on the front of the forums. We could write an app that links to the RSS feed allowing us to put dates into the forum's calender.

Nice disclaimer. ;)

-Dave

MDCS
07-07-2006, 08:02 AM

/disclaimer

I like the RSS feed idea. I use it for FrozenCPU and a few other sites.
A program called RSSReader is a nice free reader. I use it and it's pretty good.

Some of the others make a good point though. It does sound like a bit of work to keep it updated. I would think once it's popular, maybe you wouldn't have to keep looking for the info and the companies would just email it to you in advance.

Any which way you implement it, I'd love it. I usually do a little work before each purchase. Check the tech sites, modding sites (they usually know first :D ), and few places like PC-Performance, NewEgg, FrozenCPU and places like that. It's time consuming, and a lot of them never tell you about an upcoming release, hoping you'll buy the shiny thingamajig they have in stock at the time.

BTW, I didn't know DaveW was one of the site administrators. But then I didn't know Rankenphile was either until just recently.:redface: :p Glad to hear it, you two were always some of my favorites here.;)

:)

.jrauck
07-09-2006, 04:32 AM
It doesn't need javascript.

-Dave
Exactly, you could even use simple html to get it done. I wouldn't mind getting the site up and going if I had a little help(especially when im going to school). Ill try to make a bit of money and bring the website to life. I know a few pro web designers that can make a pro website template and also code it for me for not that high of a price(though it doesnt need to be flashy).

Sugarfiend
07-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey M I'm a web designer and I'm good with good old basic html, and flash, but the idea for the calendar plugins is great, though I ahve no clue how it would be done, I have friends that are tech hounds if you are looking for contributors.

qoou
07-16-2006, 09:53 AM
im in for helping too. here ia a sample of what i can do. it sucks in geocities though.

my sample site (http://www.geocities.com/rafaelwestwood/cota/index.html)

Aero
07-16-2006, 05:58 PM
I love this place. TTBCS is never short of help when its needed:p. I like this idea, especially since I don't always have time to keep up with whos releaseing what at what time. I'll talk to my friend about this too if yall don't mind. Hes won several competitions for webdesign over the past few years, is a webdesigner for Futrure Business Leaders of America, and can do some simple programming. But yeah I will see if he has any ideas.

DaveW
07-17-2006, 08:02 AM
im in for helping too. here ia a sample of what i can do. it sucks in geocities though.

I'll talk to my friend about this too if yall don't mind. Hes won several competitions for webdesign over the past few years, is a webdesigner for Futrure Business Leaders of America, and can do some simple programming. But yeah I will see if he has any ideas.

Cool the beans, folks! It's something that's being considered, but there's a lot going on in the background at the moment so trust me when i say that trying to force this project through will kill it completely. Just relax and we'll come back to it in maybe a month or so.

-Dave

Aero
07-17-2006, 12:42 PM
I know its just an idea. But I'm still going to talk to him and see if he could do something to help. But hes starting an intership in Chicago so hes got and hour and a half commute everyday so he probably won't be able to anyway. But he always likes to here new ideas.